Carry Case for a large saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Say What You Will About Saw Cases . . .

A number of guys turn up their noses at those of us who keep our saws in plastic cases of one sort or another. I like them to store my saws, together with spare chains, parts, etc., so that everything is together. I like them for transporting my saws in my vehicle, and keeping it clean. The rectangular, plastic cases also stack well.

Tonight, I had another reason to like them.

Bringing stuff into the house as it started to get cold and dark, including the dog. He stepped back in the crowded entry way, sending one of my battery saws, rolling, tumbling, and bouncing off every step into the basement - my fault for placing it there, not his (although, he got the ____ out of there pretty quick!). Saw was fine, inside the blow-molded, plastic box. Oil in 1-quart plastic bottle did not even spill (packed pretty tight). Latches did not pop open. Can't even see a scratch or dent on the case.

Worth it right there. Dog could have gotten cut if he had brushed up against an exposed saw, and I am sure that both the saw, and the steps, would be worse off as well.

Philbert

There have been several threads on this. Plywood works, but gets heavy, quick.

Several people have modified PowerBox-type cases (generic version is cheaper) to fit various saws. This can work if you only need a little extra clearance, or need a handle to protrude. Cut out recesses or holes with a sharp utility knife or Dremel tool, then reinforce cut sections by foaming the cavity or with hardboard ('Masonite') and Pop-Rivets.

If you use your saw intermittently and are looking for a storage box, we found that removing the bars from large saws makes storage options much easier (one of those obvious in hindsight things).

A few of my creations. The cooler was done for fun, right after reading someone suggest it in one of these threads, when I walked outside and saw the church next door having a rummage sale. Someone else (?) modified a PowerBox by just letting the top handle poke through the top and side panels.

Philbert

View attachment 339237

View attachment 339238
Rummage Sale Cooler Case

View attachment 339241 View attachment 339242 View attachment 339243

PowerBox Modified for Extra Bar

View attachment 339247

Generic PowerBox Modified for Charger, Chain Adjustment Knob, etc.
Someone contacted me about 'construction' details for these case mods, so, as long as I typed them out, will share them here too.

It's been a while, so I took a look, and a few more photos (attached).

As I recall, I cut the soft (high-density polyethylene HDPE?) with a sharp Xacto or utility knife (multiple cuts). Cut off portions were 'telescoped' into the hollow case walls, to maintain the edge shapes, then Pop-Riveted in place. Small holes were filled with spray insulation foam (mask outer areas with tape first), then trimmed when dry. I happened to have some closely matching paint.

HDPE can also be 'welded' using a hot air gun with a small diameter nozze, or an electric soldering gun. I have used these too on different projects. Extra material, if needed, can be scrounged from empty laundry products ('Tide' detergent might match Husqvarna orange?).

An unexpected issue was keeping the 'extra' guide bar from sliding out of the case: I addressed this with a block of wood, an eye bolt ('T-nut on the back of the block, and screwed in place through the outside), and pin.

BTW, I have found black, 'generic' versions of these cases as low as $25 on sale. For some reason, I never see them used at garage sales.

Philbert

Attachments

• IMG_0930.jpg
    IMG_0930.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0931.jpg
    IMG_0931.jpg
    490.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0932.jpg
    IMG_0932.jpg
    659.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0933.jpg
    IMG_0933.jpg
    875.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0934.jpg
    IMG_0934.jpg
    603 KB · Views: 8
When I gave my 435 away, I gave the box with it. I kick myself for that, as I'm pretty sure my 562xp or 359 would have fit in the same box. They are the 2 normal saws to get tossed in the truck for light work. May have to get another box. Good tips Philbert.

Latest posts

Back