Carrying saw on your shoulder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About carrying your saw on your shoulder.....

Over the last 2 weeks, in short succession I nearly Van Goghed myself, I stepped on a dead piece hoping it would serve as a step on the final step of a trecherous gulley crossing heading over to Red's strip to cut him out, he'd gotten hung. The piece broke and down I went with the saw head first a pretty good spill about 15 feet down into the wash. Nearly tore off my earlobe with my freshly filed square ground. It'd just gotten pretty well healed up when last week I was walking up a steep slope and stumbled forward and the muffler slid forward and burned a square on my back, lastly I threw the saw on my shoulder after topping the last tree to go file the little bit dull chain and as I missed my shoulder pad a bit it literally burnt an imprint in my shoulder (bare skin contact through a hole in the fabric)

So the other night I was getting in the shower and the wife said "you have some sort of sore on your back". I said "no, that's where my muffler bumped into my back carrying my saw on my shoulder". Then i said "check out this little burn imprint of the chain on my shoulder- I just missed the pad a hair". She was not impressed and as she was already aware of the Van Gogh maneuver yet so recent, she said "maybe you shouldn't carry your saw on your shoulder" probably shaking her head a bit.

"Nah."

:cheers:

Always have carried it on my shoulder, saves some energy. Ain't a weenie either. That helps. Got some scars down the neck and arm for it. Like I said, Ain't a weenie-and I Ain't complaining. PS. steep as hell over here and over the shoulder seems to work best for my center of gravity hippy BS, fully organic, whatever the :censored:!, lol - Sam

Go to Walmart. Go to sporting goods. Look for cheap blue colored foam sleeping pad. Buy it. Cut it down to appropriate size. Duck tape it or you could just slap it around the bar without tape to carry it. That would be faster in the woods. You also will have a nice pad to sit on for contemplation of deep topics like the center of your gravity, harmony, yin and yang, doo dah, etc., not to mention meditation. about when the fishing will be good. :)

can't imagine doing otherwise, although I need to try and identify those places a little too trecherous. Like Tarzan has said before, you can always spin your china off the bar if you have a good hike

For the long packs I have a true north bar cover that I use to keep the dogs from tearing my back up, it was like 50 bucks but well worth the investment.

Interesting how many methods this has generated.

I'm an arm's length guy. Haven't pulled the dogs out of my shoulder...yet.
-----------------------------
Walking the dog... some just have a hands that end in a chainsaw. You know who you are.

Haha. This makes me think of one of the old "drop starting" threads.
Personally, I alway's carry the saw on my shoulder if I'm going more than several feet. Just what I learned in the beginning, and I ain't been convinced there's a better way.
In the late 80's the company I was falling for decided to make a rule that you couldn't carry a saw on your shoulder without a bar cover that went all the way to the clutch cover. We couldn't find any 32" bar covers so we had to make our own. This rule was the result of a new faller taking a tumble with his saw and putting a little gash in his neck. He filed workman's comp. and took a few weeks off. When he came back we fallers wanted to see the scar left by a saw nearly severing his head. When he pulled down his collar, one old faller looked and said "Hell boy, I've had worse than that on the end of my :censored: and never missed a stroke". :laugh:
The new guy didn't last long after he came back. :dizzy:

Andy

Back