Case Bearing Installation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pass on the Chinamen bearings...used OEM is better than bearings assembled by schoolchildren.
All the machinery and parts coming from China right now are a crap shoot but some will prove out over time if they are good or not. I have been in on installs where the bearings are supporting 40 tons on either end of the shaft using China made bearings and have been in service 6 years now, at the time of install all the other machinists and mechanics working with me said they would be lucky to make a year. Previously we had changed the bearings on this piece of equipment every 2-3 years and they would cost 3-4 times the cost of the China bearings.
Now I won`t recommend using China made bearings in chainsaws, I don`t have enough hours on a 046 I put them in yet to give a recommend on them. They did seem well enough made to give them a try in one of my own saws. You see, I always like to experiment on my own equipment and run it for an extended amount of time before giving out a recommendation.

Napa is still making $20. off your purchase. Do you have an industrial bearing and seal distributor in your local area? Motion bearing charges around $5. for C3 rated chainsaw bearings.

Yes, there's a bearing supplier in Denver, Brown's or Brownell's, I have limited time to spend though.

I'm spending all my free day time in flood recovery. My farm and bass fishery got shredded, 400 tractor dumper loads of fill to rebuild the washed out dikes, berms and roads.

The saw was going to Mastermind, but I need every saw I can get a hold of for clearing debris on the 60 acres of creek bottom and slough.

Trying to cut a lane in to a jungle of small junk trees so we can get a trailer in to begin loading debris.

I have friends to help, but they are sawless.....

Yes, there's a bearing supplier in Denver, Brown's or Brownell's, I have limited time to spend though.

I'm spending all my free day time in flood recovery. My farm and bass fishery got shredded, 400 tractor dumper loads of fill to rebuild the washed out dikes, berms and roads.

The saw was going to Mastermind, but I need every saw I can get a hold of for clearing debris on the 60 acres of creek bottom and slough.

Trying to cut a lane in to a jungle of small junk trees so we can get a trailer in to begin loading debris.

sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Now Jon is heating the PTO side at the bar pad first. He'll get it hot enough that the bearing will just drop in. How long you have to heat it, and how hot, is just something Jon has learned for doing a **** load of saws. ever try putting the bearing in the freezer for ten or so minutes?

In this picture you can see that he's installed the oil pump on the case. This is actually a junk pump that he keeps just for this reason. The oil pump is used to locate the depth of the bearing in the bore. When the case half is hot enough, the bearing just slides in against it.

Like this.....

No hammering or pressing is needed.

Last edited:
dont see my reply LOL.... have you ever tried to put the bearing into a freezer?

whats the difference of reusing a main bearing vs a rod bearing ,they are both used and have the same hours on them ?

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet when in a bind like yours and pay off shelf prices. My builds are planned well in advance but then again I have oodles of saws hanging around.

I thought i was having trouble with the MS260 Flywheel side bearing not going in enough but found yesterday after pressing it back out that the replacement bearing i got was at least 1/8" thicker than the Original.brand is niachi from japan.anyone else found this problem?

Back