Case sealant - Gasket replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is Dirko HT available in the Midwest? I'm in Ohio and have never seen it before. If not readily available, what else can be used? Yamaha makes a product called YamaBond? It's used to put 2-stroke case halves together. Wouldn't this product be fine?

I've not used Yama-bond.

None of the Stihl pro saws use any gasket goo... dry fit gaskets; only used on the consumer saws which don't have cylinder gaskets.

Yamabond

I have used it on many motorcycle and 4 wheeler repairs.It is good ???? .HOWEVER!!!!!!!!! you must be aware of any tolerance issues you may have not using a gasket!!!!!

blsnelling said:
Is Dirko HT available in the Midwest? I'm in Ohio and have never seen it before. If not readily available, what else can be used? Yamaha makes a product called YamaBond? It's used to put 2-stroke case halves together. Wouldn't this product be fine?

I used Yamabond on my Homie 150. Worked well. Decent set time and everything.

Mark

There might be different sizes of tubes but every tube that I have bought has been the same size and all of them were less than $10.00 each from various Stihl dealers.

As stated by rahtreelimbs Loctite 515 works great! They have two similar anaerobic (cure without the presence of oxygen) sealants. Both products will withstand vibration and flex with minor movements. 515 is a good all purpose flange sealant for metal to metal applications. 518 is similar to the 515 but used mainly for aluminum. We use these products for all metal to metal sealing and have never had a joint fail.

blsnelling said:
I will be using the solder method to check the squish. Is the .5mm or 1.0mm base gasket normally used?

The 1mm gasket is ONLY used in part of Africa, Eastern Europe or other areas where gasoline quality is very low. Now and then see saws that have one fitted by unknowing mechanics... 140 psi is typical... I wish they'd take that part of the price list in the USA!

Justsaws said:
There might be different sizes of tubes but every tube that I have bought has been the same size and all of them were less than $10.00 each from various Stihl dealers.

There was once different sizes and types. The only one I now see listed is the 0783 830 2000 - the Red "HT" - high temperature... MSRP is $16.95.

Lakeside53 said:
There was once different sizes and types. The only one I now see listed is the 0783 830 2000 - the Red "HT" - high temperature... MSRP is $16.95.

Looks like the dealer I have been going to is taking good care of me as the last couple tubes cost $5.00 each. Thanks for posting the MSRP, I will be sure to thank him again for the deal.

I was not familiar with Loctite 510 so I pulled up the data sheet for it. It looks like is also a good sealant designed for close fitting assemblies. In fact I think that it will perform better than the 515 and 518 as a crankcase sealant due to it's higher temperature rating and higher resistance to gasoline. It looks like the 515 and 518 are better suited to oil environments such as sump covers and transmission housings. Although I have never had the 515 or 518 fail, I think that we will be stocking another sealant for crankcases. Thanks blsnelling for the education.

Check out ThreeBond 1104. YamaBond 4 is just rebadged ThreeBond 1104, and the Yamabond 4 is no longer available. In my searching, it appears that more people are using the ThreeBond 1104 than anything else. They also mention a ThreeBond 1211.

ThreeBond 1104 Liquid Gasket
Excellent padding properites make this semi-drying, visco-elastic sealer the
perfect product for sealing joint surfaces with large clearances. Special synthetic
rubber provides excellent cushion to absorb vibrations and impacts without failure,
especially where coolants are involves. Apply to flange surfaces and screw
sections to prevent leakage of water, oil, gasoline and chemicals. Examples of
specific applications include sealing timing chain cases, 2-piece cylinders, side
covers, transmission case covers, clutch housing bolts, and the oil filter mounting
surfaces. Since TB1104's introduction, original equipment automotive and
motorcycle manufacturers have successfully used this high-reliablility liquid gasket
in numerous innovative, cost-saving applications.

ThreeBond 1211 Silicone Liquid Gasket
Silicone Liquid Gasket is a tough durable sealer utilizing silicone
rubber as a primary component. White in color, its solventless, semi-drying
and visco-elastic properties make it ideal for numerous applications where a
long lasting, faultless seal is absolutely critical. As it comes in contact with air,
it forms a rubberized, elastic mass impervious to vibrations and impacts. Can
be applied to flange surfaces and screw sections to prevent water, oil,
gasoline and chemical leaks. 100% effective over a wide temperature range,
76dg.F to 482dg.F (-60dg.C to 250dg.C). Tack-free in 90 minutes; fully cured
and bonded within 24 hours; attains optimum strength in three days.
Recommend for motorcycle, personal watercraft and ATV engines.

Latest posts

Back