Catalytic vs. Secondary Burners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Hmm...where to start. I really don't believe that the majority of cats are wearing out at 12000 hours of use. IF you burned 6 months straight 24/7 that would be 3 years of burning instead of 6? If they wore out so soon why would the manufacturer warranty the cat for 6 years? I am sure it is like many things, example car batteries. I have seen cheap car batteries go bad in a couple of months or less, however, I have seen good name brand ones last 12 years or more. Quality of the product and how it is used will have a great effect of its useful lifespan.

Second the cat (at least new ones, do not run 1200 degrees to light off). In my stove the cat is about less than an inch from the top of the stove. I have used a infrared temp gun, on the stove top it's usually 350 when cat is active at normal setting. If the cat were 1200 to light off (getting hotter as it burns) the stove top, less than a half inch away would be like 600 plus degrees all the time the cat is active then increasing as you increased the stove burn. Blaze King says active zone of cat is 500-1700 degrees, not 1200 and up.

I would not suggest using wet wood in any stove, unless this was the very last option, not to mention the owners manual, if you read it, will tell you to burn wood between 12-18 percent moisture. Burning wet wood in a cat is bad for the cat and will shorten its lifespan. You can tell the cat is burning right with seasoned dry wood. 1.) Run stove on high then check for the cat glowing. 2.) open damper then close it and you will see a huge difference. 3.) Cat thermometer that fails to stay active when set at normal setting on the stove (for Blaze King cannot attest for other stoves).

Now I am not sure about other stoves but a cat stove from Blaze King is not difficult to run, light, or otherwise operate.
1.)To light my stove you fill the bottom of it with newspaper, then put small pieces of wood on top of the paper, then larger pieces on top of the smaller wood and so on. Same as on any stove.
2.)Turn the thermostat to high, open the cat bypass lever, light the newspaper, leave the door cracked for the first couple of minutes of burning until fire is established sufficiently, then close door.
3.)Watch temp on thermometer on top of stove until it reaches active on the gauge. Close bypass lever and set thermostat on side of stove to normal, or desired setting.

Sure maybe a few extra simple steps to do, but even a stove without a cat you have to wait a few minutes to allow fire to get established before you set the damper or air control. If this is considered complicated then you should really consider not driving a car, as that is far more complicated than a good cat stove.

Now the downside of a cat: You have to check the cat every so often to make sure the front of cat is clean. Simple to do, run stove on high, then look at glowing cat, if cat is not equally glowing across it's entire face then you have blockage on front of the cat. You can easily see when this happens if it does. To clean simply let fire go out or cool (this will take quite a while with a Blaze KING), remove a metal plate in front of the cat and brush with soft brush (I use the one off the vacuum). AT this time you can also blow the cat out with air if you so wish. DO NOT USE TO MUCH AIR use your head. I use my shop vac at the end of the season. Cats do need to be replaced depending on how much you burn and how you use your stove, but usually 6 to 10 years of usable lifespan burning 6 months a year. You need to burn only wood that is dry. Do not burn trash or paper that is shiny, ect. because the chemicals of such will ruin a cat over time. You don't put diesel in a top fuel dragster so don't put trash in a high performance stove. Cats are around $300 for my stove to replace and its a simple and easy thing to do, no technician needed you can do it yourself, takes maybe 10 minutes to change one out if that. For me it's simply far cheaper to have, and replace a cat every so often, than it is to burn more wood every year. Even if your not buying your wood, fuel is so expensive anymore that the less you have to haul, split, stack, the better. If you want to keep cutting you can always sell the extra wood you would have normally just had to burn to stay warm.

Now high performance secondary burn stoves without a cat still have downsides. You are not supposed to burn trash in them either, they too need dry seasoned wood, and they too have parts that are maintenance items. The secondary burn tubes in these stoves need replaced, as well as the top fire baffle curtain, or whatever they call it, every so often. I would say in the same amount of time that you would normally have to replace the cat in a cat stove. The fire curtain is fairly easy to replace on most stoves, however the secondary burn tubes are a different story. Most of the tubes are spot welded into the top of the stove, thus to replace them you have to grind the welds off to remove them, then get new ones and re-weld them back into place. Maybe some are bolted in but I have not seen any this way. You also have to clean these tubes to make sure the holes are open and remove ash from inside the tubes as it builds up. Not so easy to do.

Good and bad in both designs but for my money its a good cat stove every day and twice on Sunday. Not all cat stove are created equal as not all secondary burn stoves with tubes are created equal. Find a good stove and spend the extra money the first time, instead of buying a stove then having it work OK, eventually having to replace it with a better stove. Of course finances will play a role but I would rather do it once right, and not have to re-do anything the second time. Each to their own and I hope this helps.

1 SIMILARITY i SEE IS THAT BOTH CAT & FLAMING TUBES CREATE A HOT ZONE ABOVE THE LOAD?

The only stoves that will have welded tubes is lower end stoves, same with baffles. A good secondary stove or furnace contains materials to resist heat better. The Caddy furnace has a baffle material made of c-cast. It won't warp or crack and if I recall it's rated up to 3000 degrees. The burn tubes of our furnace are made of stainless steel. I pull a cotter pin and remove a tube, it's that simple. They carry a 7 year warranty. A baffle on a PE is made of stainless and if I recall carries a lifetime warranty. Cheaper stoves have welded steel baffles and tubes, these are hard to repair. There's no reason for the burn tubes to plug. Theres always air coming from them. A good design has internals that can easily be replaced.

Both secondary and cat stoves require seasoned wood. I think though a secondary stove is more forgiving with higher moisture. Thermal shock can and will occur in a cat if the wood isn't seasoned correctly. Nothing will be damaged in a secondary stove other than creosote. Also in a cat stove there's more interior parts that can wear. If a bypass doesn't work correctly or warping occurs inside the cat won't work correctly. In the long run if your stove is built of good materials and has a good warranty there's little to worry about.

Laynes can you comment on the brands of secondary burn stoves that should not have to have parts replaced under normal burn situations.

You also mentioned creosote build up if some green wood was burned. If dry wood was then used will the creosote not burn out?

Thanks for the information I would like to get a new stove and do not want a high maintenance situation.

British Columbia (B.C.) covers a HUGE land area, from the ocean to the Rocky Mtns, from the USA border to the edge of Alaska & the Yukon. My guess is that maybe 5% of the province could be described as temperate, such as sea level areas along the coast or close to the USA border. I live near the center of BC at around 3500 ft above sea level, between 2 very close mountain ranges. Prince George would be the closest city. Not much north of my area, the rest of "temperate" BC, has been under -20 C for over a week. Our cold spell only lasted a couple of nights. Today it's a mix of snow & rain.

My 6 year old catalytic burner is working perfectly as per the Blaze King manual, which I JUST checked to make sure I wasn't blowing smoke. As per the manual operation check list, the catalytic burner is spot on. Also, it passes the manuals combustion test procedure, clean inspection, & operation performance & as per the combuster thermometer setting while burning. Nothing has degraded in the 6 years that I've used the stove / catalytic combuster. I do check things as I use them. The manual gives no time line for changing the combuster, such as your suggested 12,000 hrs or every 2 years, but it does offer a testing guide to determine how well the combuster is working for one to use & a guide to use on how to tell when the combuster is deteriorating in performance.

So no, I haven't checked as per your green wet wood suggestion, & the stove comes with it's own combuster thermometer & which is working fine, again as per the manual's thermometer performance check list.

I put 3 - 5 inch rounds of pine in at 6:30 am & now at 1:30, 7 hours later the combuster temp is still in the active range. It was glowing / burning for most of that time, but even when it's not glowing, it is still working, according to the manual. No blue smoke out the chimney, though there is when the combuster is bypassed even with my well seasoned pine, fir or birch.

I'm just saying that my experience with a cat stove is WAY different than yours is. And my 13 year old Toyota 4Runner is still on the original set of front disc brakes, muffler, clutch & the engine runs like new at 483,000 kms of rough road off grid use. Not all vehicles like not all stoves like not all users of each, have the same experiences. Next time you get a cat stove, get a Blaze King, & end your fiddling & catalytic combuster repacements & your burning so much wood. Just kidding you. We're all in this together & we can all learn from each other.

Sent from my HTC DHD using Tapatalk App.

Last edited:
Mr. Excaliber you are one piece of work. One wood stove for how long ? Truth. Minimal heating ? Ergo=Expert. You are now to be annointed King Arthur.:bang:

Do you wonder why no one from Blaze King has stuck an oar in your water ? This is kind of embarassing for them.

Catalytic combustors have a specified "life" of +/- 12,000 hours FROM THE OEM TECHNICAL MANUALS. Like tires or batteries, to use your examples, they are PRO-RATED: 2 years or under the cat,if failed, will be replaced with no cost. From 2 years to 6 years of use from purchase, the replacement cost will vary with the age. Period.

Some technical data and facts from using cats for a long time: after ~12,000 hours the efficiency does go down. The noble metals platinum or paladium do wear ( please see tech data from the manufacturers ). 12,000 hours could be 2 years of hard use, or much more with less use. Fact.

You obviously do not enjoy factual data. It ain't so bad Ex. Try it. Research. Ask. Get some wood chops.:beat_brick:

Second the cat (at least new ones, do not run 1200 degrees to light off). In my stove the cat is about less than an inch from the top of the stove. I have used a infrared temp gun, on the stove top it's usually 350 when cat is active at normal setting. If the cat were 1200 to light off (getting hotter as it burns) the stove top, less than a half inch away would be like 600 plus degrees all the time the cat is active then increasing as you increased the stove burn. Blaze King says active zone of cat is 500-1700 degrees, not 1200 and up.
Yeah...my Woodstock Fireview manual says the cat's ready when the surface T reads 250F, given the external T's roughly 1/2 the internal T (500F).

I did quite a bit of research before buying and concluded that, if the owner habitually performs regular maintenance, the benefits far outweigh the costs. If not...it's still pretty much an even trade-off. Getting ~30% better efficiency more than offsets the periodic cost of a new cat every 3~6 yrs.

I live near the OP. It is very often the case that stove stores recommend against cat stoves. Why? Because they don't sell cat stoves. They want you to buy what they sell. Seriously, do you ever hear a ford dealership sell you a Kia?

I don't like VC stoves. It is a terrible idea to buy anything made by the VC company in the last decade or so. They are not easy to use or well engineered. Seems that the VC company tries too hard and fails.

I burn a non-cat stone stove. I've shoved well over 30 cords through it. The OP and I can appreciate that some climates have long long burn seasons but not super cold. We burn 9+ months of the year and hold only about a 35 degree temp differential from inside to out. Because of this climate, the cat stoves are superior performers. I don't care about the wood savings, the clean emissions, or the brand. What you need in this climate to burn 24/7 is a large stove, with long burn times, and lower heat output. The cat stoves just do that better.

The brands to look for are BK (best and from hardware stores) and then woodstock (mail order). Both of these are top performers and aren't sold at regular stove shops.

Heck, the BK stoves are even made in WA.

Laynes can you comment on the brands of secondary burn stoves that should not have to have parts replaced under normal burn situations.

You also mentioned creosote build up if some green wood was burned. If dry wood was then used will the creosote not burn out?

Thanks for the information I would like to get a new stove and do not want a high maintenance situation.

I would stay away from usstove. Some of their stoves cannot be easily repaired and are made of cheaper materials. I would look at the top plate thickness some are 3/16 while others are 5/16. An insulated stainless baffle will hold up to heat and not damage easily. Some of the insulated vermiculite or other types of baffles damage easily. The c-cast baffles that are used by Osburn and Drolet are very durable and withstand high heat. I know their warranties are also great. I wouldn't attempt to burn out creosote. Green wood will not burn well and if creosote accumulated then I would sweep. Burning good wood in a good stove and there should be little creosote.

1 SIMILARITY i SEE IS THAT BOTH CAT & FLAMING TUBES CREATE A HOT ZONE ABOVE THE LOAD?

Yes that is correct.
A catalytic stove uses a catalyst element which is heated by the hot gases which flow over it, which in turn becomes superheated for the purpose of reburning smoke, which would essentially be wasted energy. So, the process of reburnt smoke helps to heat your home rather than going up the chimney and also adds to the cycling effect, thereby keeping the catalyst up to temps.

A non-catalytic stove uses superheated air, which is channeled through the body of the stove and released into the top of the burn chamber by air tubes. There is typically fire brick right above these tubes, in order to form an insulation barrier so that more heat is kept within the burn chamber, to enhance the superheating effect. My Country S160 also has a ceramic blanket layer of insulation over the top of the firebrick to improve this effect further. When unburnt gases rise up, they ignite by combining with the hot oxygen supplied by the burn tubes and the cycle repeats.

Mr. Excaliber you are one piece of work. One wood stove for how long ? Truth. Minimal heating ? Ergo=Expert. You are now to be annointed King Arthur.:bang:

Do you wonder why no one from Blaze King has stuck an oar in your water ? This is kind of embarassing for them.

Catalytic combustors have a specified "life" of +/- 12,000 hours FROM THE OEM TECHNICAL MANUALS. Like tires or batteries, to use your examples, they are PRO-RATED: 2 years or under the cat,if failed, will be replaced with no cost. From 2 years to 6 years of use from purchase, the replacement cost will vary with the age. Period.

Some technical data and facts from using cats for a long time: after ~12,000 hours the efficiency does go down. The noble metals platinum or paladium do wear ( please see tech data from the manufacturers ). 12,000 hours could be 2 years of hard use, or much more with less use. Fact.

You obviously do not enjoy factual data. It ain't so bad Ex. Try it. Research. Ask. Get some wood chops.:beat_brick:

logbutcher do you ever stop broadcasting and start receiving? Go back and actually read what I put down. Not sure what you are asking how long I have had my stove? Two years now. How long I have heated with wood, most my life (20 plus years). Again not sure what you mean by minimal heating? No I don't wonder why someone from Blaze King has not "stuck an oar in" because what I am saying is the same they would tell you, same on the Blaze King site, same on the Blaze King video if you would listen or actually watch and learn. Both Blaze King and people I have talked that have one say 6-10 years on a cat average, they also say 500 to 1700 degrees for active cat, (not 1200). So what am I saying that is wrong? I am human and may have missed something but I don't believe I have.

Frankly sir, what you are saying does not make one little bit of sense. Why would a company say my product only lasts 12,000 hours (according to you two years burning) yet we decided to warranty it for 6 years (pro-rated after two), just because we like you that much. Actually I can see this idea catching on, just think! Buy a new truck that is rated for 50,000 miles before it breaks down, and you get a 100,000 mile warranty. So much for that company's profits. Yeah that would make perfect sense right?

Since you consider burning green wet wood as a good idea I can see why you only got two years of use out of a cat, but look at the bright side, you got one for free right (under two years). Yes, they are pro-rated just like batteries are, that is why I used them as a example. Both of them can be abused or used wrong causing short life spans (again read what I put in my last post saying average). This is the reason company's pro-rate their products. If it costs the consumer a little money they are way more likely to treat the product as it was designed and intended, instead of saying, oh well, its under warranty, lets abuse it. In this case not burning green wet wood since the cat manual says that is a no-no and will damage the cat. You could run a cat hard and have it go bad in less time than two years true. Hell I could fill my stove full of propane and watch it go boom, guess they should warranty that too. Bottom line used as most people do, and used correctly, a cat has a real world life of 6-10 years of use. Yeah it may lose some of its efficiency over time. Every stove type will, even a secondary burn stove with tubes, loses efficiency over time. Nothing lasts forever, well other than your rants. LOL

Actually I do like the truth and facts, both are great, like for instance you spell these words this way: Wrong Correct
annointed anointed
embarassing embarrassing
paladium palladium

Lighten up dude, think, listen, learn, that's why we are all here.

I have used both types,but have the most experience with non-cat.I lived in Wyoming for several years and used an EARTH STOVE brand insert with a catalyst and burned Ponderosa Pine.It worked great and put out a lot of heat-never needed to replace the cat while I used it.Now am living back on the family farm in Iowa and purchased a PACIFIC ENERGY Super 27 about 12 years ago to supply my heating needs.The PE stove uses a stainless steel baffle box in the top of the stove with ceramic wool blanket on top of that.The baffle introduces oxygen rich air into super heated area of stove to accomplish the secondary burn.The PE stove works great,puts off plenty of heat for our 2000s.f. home and is simple to use-am very pleased with it.I do notice a bit more visible smoke at times with the PE stove than I did with the Earth Stove,but that may be a difference in the type of wood being burned.One thing I have learned over the years is that you normally get what you pay for-----in other words buy quality the first time and you will have a unit that works and works well.

Ron

Dear King Artthur

Dear King Arthur:
Thanks you for correcting the spelling through the wonder of the internet. It is the content, not spelling.You didn't know about the noble metals or that the cat light off is ~ (meaning "around" ) 1200 F ? What was Corning ? What is paLLadium ?:dizzy:

As for a straw dog K.A.: nothing was posted re: using green wood ( what was posted is that IF the man wants to burn green, then he will ).
You need to read more than online videos or google. People choose how they use anything.

Long experienced wood burners CHOOSE ( caps ) not to burn unseasoned wood; more efficient, easier to heat since we do use wood heat as a primary heat source. Not a backup for your central furnace as you said you use and have .

And for you to read carefully: the AVERAGE (repeat "average") efficient ( "efficient" ) life of wood stove cats is engineered to be 12000 hours. NOT that I WILL replace then AT 12000 hours of use. ( Gee, have to use caps to get you to read correctly ). Please ask, ask Blaze King about their OEM cat maker. ( BK is HQ in WA ) Then read what the manufacturer technical info states. There have been times that our cat was replaced after 4.5 years of use ( didn't pay attention to its efficiency ), and once after 2 years of 2 seasons of long below zero winters. That's a fact K.A.

Another fact that will be disturbing: in some parts of North America, 24/7 heating can run for 8 months. "Shoulder seasons" as they are termed often run into June and into September. So, when one heats with wood as the heating source, "2 years" could well over 12,000 hours of use. Thought that you'd like to be enlightened.:msp_w00t:

P.S. Are you still getting a full "40 hours of high heating" from your stove ? Not what B.K. states. There is this bridge for sale..........................:looser:

You are certainly one piece of work. I am diss-missed (sp).

P.S. Apologies to all for the ad hominum bashing. The uniformed and inexperienced blabber does become tiring. No more responses.....promise.

P.P.S. K.A. you are not permitted to call me "sir". I am out of that, active, and happily retired....young. You may however salute from the corn fields..

Last edited:
Logbutcher earlier in the thread you stated:"So some questions: have you checked that the 6 year cat is actually lighting off ( put in some wet, semi-seasoned or green wood on coals, run out in your -20C weather with layers on , and after damping, if you have clear smoke, it's good to go ) ?"

To answer your questions: Yes I knew about how a cat works and that they use noble metals in the cat, before I even bought the stove, and read the owners manual which also goes into detail about the cat. Corning has not made cats for Blaze King in years. They also no longer use the ceramic cats, rather stainless steel ones like in my stove. Yeah I guess 500 degrees is close to 1,200 degrees like half a tank of gas is close to a full tank, half a paycheck is just as good as a full one right? What is Palladium, that is how you spell the word correctly and that is one of the many noble metals you were thinking I didn't know about. As for the 12,000 hours of use before they are not efficient but don't need replace? Huh? If it is no longer being efficient why not replace it then? Please show us this manufacturer info that you are claiming of 12,000 hours, we would like to see it. However I am not about to do the research and legwork to prove your point, that no one else has ever heard about. Maybe shoulder your own load of proof, like I have in many of the other threads when you had questions instead of how did you put it? " The uniformed and inexperienced blabber does become tiring".

Yes I know about burning for 8 months or more, I was born and raised, as you know, in Bozeman Montana. We heated with an old non EPA stove, a Yellowstone. We fed it pine and heated a two level 1800 sq ft home in the mountains. Two years of burning 8 months each, still does not go over your mythical 12,000 hours of efficient cat use, least not where I went to school. 24 hours a day, 7 days in a week, 4 weeks in a month, 8 months: So 24x7=168, 168x4=672, 672x8=5,376 hours. Now two years would be 10,752 hours of burning, guess that's close like 500 is close to 1200 degrees.

Yes I am guilty as charged, (as you know because I have stated yet again in other threads with you) I have a furnace and I do set the temp all winter on 90 degrees. However it has not been working very good the last two years, so I called a local heating technician. They assured me my heating system was in working order as far as they could tell. So I asked why it only blows cold air and why only as far as they could tell? He said, simply you have to have a propane tank and then hook it up to the heating system to produce heat. It will only blow cold air now due to only being used in tandem with your central ac unit. We cannot test it due to not having it hooked up to the mythical tank that you do not have. Hmm who knew, oh that's right you already did Logbutcher, due to me already telling you all this. Please read what is there and stop trying to justify your opinions with make believe, made up stories. Please by all means bring facts, facts that are actually backed up with paperwork, ect.

No I am not gettiing a 40 hours burn as you know I am currently still burning cotton wood and only get 24 hours of burn on a full load. Sometimes less sometimes more varying on outside temps, ect. Same as any stove does.

Your spot on Excal, But Wasting your time trying to reason w/Butcher

Logbutcher earlier in the thread you stated:"So some questions: have you checked that the 6 year cat is actually lighting off ( put in some wet, semi-seasoned or green wood on coals, run out in your -20C weather with layers on , and after damping, if you have clear smoke, it's good to go ) ?"

To answer your questions: Yes I knew about how a cat works and that they use noble metals in the cat, before I even bought the stove, and read the owners manual which also goes into detail about the cat. Corning has not made cats for Blaze King in years. They also no longer use the ceramic cats, rather stainless steel ones like in my stove. Yeah I guess 500 degrees is close to 1,200 degrees like half a tank of gas is close to a full tank, half a paycheck is just as good as a full one right? What is Palladium, that is how you spell the word correctly and that is one of the many noble metals you were thinking I didn't know about. As for the 12,000 hours of use before they are not efficient but don't need replace? Huh? If it is no longer being efficient why not replace it then? Please show us this manufacturer info that you are claiming of 12,000 hours, we would like to see it. However I am not about to do the research and legwork to prove your point, that no one else has ever heard about. Maybe shoulder your own load of proof, like I have in many of the other threads when you had questions instead of how did you put it? " The uniformed and inexperienced blabber does become tiring".

Yes I know about burning for 8 months or more, I was born and raised, as you know, in Bozeman Montana. We heated with an old non EPA stove, a Yellowstone. We fed it pine and heated a two level 1800 sq ft home in the mountains. Two years of burning 8 months each, still does not go over your mythical 12,000 hours of efficient cat use, least not where I went to school. 24 hours a day, 7 days in a week, 4 weeks in a month, 8 months: So 24x7=168, 168x4=672, 672x8=5,376 hours. Now two years would be 10,752 hours of burning, guess that's close like 500 is close to 1200 degrees.

Yes I am guilty as charged, (as you know because I have stated yet again in other threads with you) I have a furnace and I do set the temp all winter on 90 degrees. However it has not been working very good the last two years, so I called a local heating technician. They assured me my heating system was in working order as far as they could tell. So I asked why it only blows cold air and why only as far as they could tell? He said, simply you have to have a propane tank and then hook it up to the heating system to produce heat. It will only blow cold air now due to only being used in tandem with your central ac unit. We cannot test it due to not having it hooked up to the mythical tank that you do not have. Hmm who knew, oh that's right you already did Logbutcher, due to me already telling you all this. Please read what is there and stop trying to justify your opinions with make believe, made up stories. Please by all means bring facts, facts that are actually backed up with paperwork, ect.

No I am not gettiing a 40 hours burn as you know I am currently still burning cotton wood and only get 24 hours of burn on a full load. Sometimes less sometimes more varying on outside temps, ect. Same as any stove does.

Notice how Butcher tends to respond. He starts it off by belittling the previous Member, I think he believes in his own mind that he is the ultimate authority on the subject and thinks he's doing us all a huge favor by blessing us with his profound insight, knowledge and experience.

Here's a few examples of his condescending Babble… I.E. "Your a Real Piece of Work!” or, "Well, we now have another cherry Blaze King enthusiast new with wood stoves, cat or non-cat. Expert." or, "You obviously do not enjoy factual data." “King- Authur” and on, and on he rants and Belittles!…. Annoying isn’t it?

You called him on quite a few very good points on your last post, especially the 1200F Catalytic light-off temperature, but I think your "wrestling with a pig in the mud" on this one Excal. This is a waste of your intelligence and time. Give him some credit though; He does try to dance around (Back-Peddle) on some of his incorrect facts, and stupid and damageing “green-wood” suggestions to test a combustor. Fortunately, for us he is making the case against himself, better than anybody else could ever make it against him. I think that this fact is becoming more and more clear to anyone who has been paying attention to this thread so far. I certainly would be happy to throw you an oar Excal, but I can see you don't need one, and besides I can think of a much better use for it. How about you Excal?:msp_rolleyes:

I have been trying to ignore him but really he is an ass that is actually negatively contributing, that is, taking away from the thread. He is just trying to bully folks into complying with his (wrong)opinion. Is this pook? If your opinion doesn't stick the first time then why must you try and force it?

I've been using a Blaze King stove with a cat as my only heat source here in the Canadian north, for 7 months or more each year, for the last 6 years,. I also don't burn more than a couple of cords a season.

Trying to grasp this. You eat 1800sq ft for 7 months in negative temps on 2 cords of pine? :msp_scared: You must have one heck of a stove.

Ian

My Vote Is for a Well Designed Catalytic, such as a Blaze King. Reasons Why?... Longer Burntimes for one. Easily 12 hours even with pine. Very efficient operation & more "even" heat, you can turn down the thermostat and just keep the house cozy for long periods of time and still maintan efficency without a "smoldering fire". Both produce beautiful fires but I've noticed that my woodcutting partner uses almost twice the wood I do using his EPA certified Non-catalytic stove heating a similer sized house. Buying a new cat every 3 or 4 years costing close to $200 is the only downside I see. s[/url]

We've had a Blaze King Royal Heir catalytic for 16 years and I've finally replaced the catalyst this year. Burn clean dry wood, let it get hot once a day and DON'T ever handle the catalyst if you don't need to and it can last a long time. A factor that I've not seen anyone else mention here: we put i a new external chimney when we bought this stove 16 years ago and I've NEVER had to clean it. I check it twice a year and have never had a buildup. House is a four level split ~2400 sq ft. Raised four boys, so the doors and windows are not always closed in the house. We're in Minnesota. Burning mostly oak, usually go through 4-6 cords in a typical winter.

Last edited:
Good stove & good house insulation, good construction & orientation (some passive solar in spring if the sun is out)! Hot air rises too, all through the house but the down side of this vertical house is that I need scaffolding to reach areas for painting or renos & that part of my house completely sucks. My next house, if there there is one, will be a bungalow.

The stove isn't burning hot every day for 7 mths as on the warmer days around 0 C, the house just gets too warm if it the stove burns every day. Warmer days in spring & fall, even some winter days, I can go 2-4 days with only one hot load burned. I also don't always completely fill the stove for the same reason, the house just gets too warm. Just guesstimating 2 cords with all these factors considered, the size of my woodshed & how full or empty it is before & after heating season. I live off the grid & conservation is the main key to good energy efficiency. Conservation is now my habit vs. wasting energy just because I can or could & so I try not to have to waste any energy, especially energy that I have to cut, load, unload, split, stack, move, move again & load into the woodstove. I'm getting too old for wasting energy. I'd rather work smarter than harder & sometimes I even succeed. :smile2:

Last edited:
We've had a Blaze King Royal Heir catalytic for 16 years and I've finally replaced the catalyst this year. Burn clean dry wood, let it get hot once a day and DON'T ever handle the catalyst if you don't need to and it can last a long time. A factor that I've not seen anyone else mention here: we put i a new external chimney when we bought this stove 16 years ago and I've NEVER had to clean it. I check it twice a year and have never had a buildup. House is a four level split ~2400 sq ft. Raised four boys, so the doors and windows are not always closed in the house. We're in Minnesota. Burning mostly oak, usually go through 4-6 cords in a typical winter.

Hey, good to hear of someone else with a Royal Heir. There were two sizes of that stove made, plus an insert. Which one do you have? I'm guessing the 2100 based on the size of house you are heating. I purchased a used 2200, which is the smaller one two years ago, and am on the second season of burning with it, and like it real well.

Purchasing used, I was afraid my cat would need replaced, but it seems to be working well. My bypass door does not seal as well as it probably should, but the gasses do appear to be going to the cat well enough, as the flue temps are low, no smoke out of chimney, and the cat temp gauge responds correctly.

Latest posts

Back