CBN Wheels with Pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that cyclone wheel in this thread CBN and is that why its only around $130?

My cyclone wheel is ABN and from what Ive read,
CBN needs dressed and shaped, I could be wrong, can someone clear this up?

CBN wheels do not need dressed. You'd ruin them if you tried. The one in this thread is plated. The plating goes farther up the side of the wheel than the cut tooth does. The first thread pretty much describes each of the wheels.

Kstill from all that I can tell ABN is CBN. ABN is another way for them DINASAW to market their wheels as different. I am no expert but I was told they are the same thing. I wish we could compare the wheel in this post with the ABN from Baileys, I just not willing to buy another one right now.

Is that cyclone wheel in this thread CBN and is that why its only around $130?

My cyclone wheel is ABN and from what Ive read,
CBN needs dressed and shaped, I could be wrong, can someone clear this up?

Kstill from all that I can tell ABN is CBN. ABN is another way for them DINASAW to market their wheels as different. I am no expert but I was told they are the same thing. I wish we could compare the wheel in this post with the ABN from Baileys, I just not willing to buy another one right now.

Carlyle,
There doesnt look to be any difference either. The color of the plating is the same. I just talked to your contact and ordered an 1/8" wheel with 100 grit.

Kudos to Carlyle, the company he mentioned to me 6 months ago produced a custom CBN wheel for $128 shipped, ISO 9001 quality. Takes about a month from the order to arriving at the door. The process was painless, and I will be getting more wheel from these guys.

I have not yet posted my pictures but I will sure do so at some time, my main cutting season will be comming up here shortly.:chainsawguy:

What size CBN wheel for 3/8 chain - different than stone?

I use only 3/8 chain. If one was to purchase one of the CBN wheels, would it be better to get a 3/16 wheel like is recommended for a 3/8 chain or a smaller 1/8 wheel (more "control"?).

thanks

I use only 3/8 chain. If one was to purchase one of the CBN wheels, would it be better to get a 3/16 wheel like is recommended for a 3/8 chain or a smaller 1/8 wheel (more "control"?).

thanks

3/16 for 3/8 chain

Carlyle,
There doesnt look to be any difference either. The color of the plating is the same. I just talked to your contact and ordered an 1/8" wheel with 100 grit.

We used nickel to adhere the CBN/ABN grit to metal, this was for optimum bonds of the material to the metal cutting tool. Titanium coating can be applied as a chemical and thermal shield while using the cutting tools. The CBN(Cubic Boron Nitride)/ABN (Amber Boron Nitride) we applied were similar but slightly varied under the microscope with each particle. Pure CBN is transparent or slightly amber. Magnesium or carbon will create black CBN, and silicon will make CBN red. Cubic Boron Nitride is the second hardest known material, not found in nature and is a manufactured material.

Happy cutting with your wheels.

We used nickel to adhere the CBN/ABN grit to metal, this was for optimum bonds of the material to the metal cutting tool. Titanium coating can be applied as a chemical and thermal shield while using the cutting tools. The CBN(Cubic Boron Nitride)/ABN (Amber Boron Nitride) we applied were similar but slightly varied under the microscope with each particle. Pure CBN is transparent or slightly amber. Magnesium or carbon will create black CBN, and silicon will make CBN red. Cubic Boron Nitride is the second hardest known material, not found in nature and is a manufactured material.

Happy cutting with your wheels.

Much appreciated and great information Wishie22!

Where did you get your cyclone wheel at for that price? I have the 3/16 for 3/8 and would like to get the 1/8 for .325. I paid $180 at Baileys over a year ago before the price went up to $230. These wheels are awsome!

You could land one direct from Dinasaw in Australia for about USD$180 and in any size you want.

Funnily enough I just saw this thread but have actually been in contact with Greg at Dinasaw and this was his reply to me asking about whether they sell direct to the public. Price is in Australian dollars so multiply by 0.8 to get rough US dollars. I have attached the .pdf Greg sent me. I'll be getting one soon but still up in the air on wheel thickness - probably get 4.5mm as per the standard wheel.

HI Matt,

Sure you can get a wheel directly from me.
125mm diameter wheels are $185.00 +
145mm wheels are $195.00 +
Our standard thicknesses are 2.5, 3, 4, 5 and 8mm for the 125mm diameter.
3 and 4mm thick for 145mm diameter.
I can make any size though

Let me know the OD, ID and thickness and I will send you a quote.
Also we can exchange the wheel when you wear it out for $130.00 +. So your
ongoing costs are much less.

I have attached a flyer.
Look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Greg Costin
DinasawR
13 Industrial Avenue
Caloundra QLD 4551
Phone: ++61 (0)7 5491 4999
Fax: ++61 (0)7 5491 7809
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.dinasaw.com.au

great info!

thanks to OP for taking time to post all those killer pic's...

My grinder is on the UPS truck to be delivered today. You guys already have me buying replacement wheels. :):)

Wishie22,

The Dinasaw Cyclone wheel uses a particle size of 0.25mm

What grit would this equal out to be?

I just ordered a 100 grit plated CBN Cyclone wheel. I wanted a little more grinding speed than the 120 I tried. Thanks for the loaners Carlyle! I'll get them back in the mail to you in the next day or two.

sure is tempting, but there must be 6+ brand new regular wheels in my chainsaw parts box.

Once you try one of these wheels, you'd throw the regular ones in the trash. They really are that much better!

:agree2: Without a doubt, they are that much better! Most of my cutting is done with 3/8 chain and I have the dinasaw cyclone wheel for around year now. I cringe now if I have to sharpen a .325 chain with a stone wheel, I hate it! I stand by them enough that im buying the 1/8 inch wheel for .325 chain

Latest posts

Back