CCW while firewooding?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That reminds me...carry permit is about to expire and i want it renewed before the feds try and slip in any more regs making a state issue harder to comply with.

Valid

I understand what you are saying, but no I don't carry a gun while cutting wood-I don't even own a gun. I've found that not too many people or animals unless they are wild or rabid tend to mess with a guy with a chainsaw! :biggrin:

That's actually quite a valid point. Not a lot of range with a chainsaw*, but not too shabby for close quarters "work" I would imagine....never tried it, but I sure see where you are coming from.

* yes I know, for anyone who might want to clue me in, there is a violence slasher cartoon rocket launched chainsaw comic out there that's been posted on this site...not a fan of that....genre...of entertainment.

I am pro self defense obviously, and *legitimate* national defense..but not much else when it comes to violence like that, real or cartoon.

Cutting firewood in and of itself is dangerous enough let alone having to strap a gun to your hip. If you HAVE to cut in an area that you need to carry to protect your equipment or your person I would seriously suggest finding a new place to cut wood or just hang it up all together. But hey what do I know I live in an area that it would never cross my mind to carry a gun while I am cutting wood. And to be quite honest we all know that if they REALLY want it they will get it one way or another gun or no gun. this does not jive with most of the comments on this thread but it is just MHO!

I usually keep my .38 S&W, but that is due to the fact I have had a coyote walk past me at 30 yards at 11:00 in the afternoon while I had the splitter running, better to be prepared.

And to be quite honest we all know that if they REALLY want it they will get it one way or another gun or no gun.

I agree 100% that the best protection is to be aware of your surroundings and take precaution when venturing into unknown areas. I will add that there is little to no danger when carrying a pistol if it is done with a proper holster and clothing. Improper carry methods make it unsafe, not having a chainsaw in your hands while doing so.

I have never given thought to owning a pistol, much less carrying one while I was cutting wood. Perhaps I have lived a sheltered life, but the coming Armageddon everyone everyone seems to be preparing for seems to have bypassed me. If you are worried about being jumped/robbed/attacked/shot while cutting, you are probably working in the wrong area.

Go ahead, fire away.... :msp_confused:

If you are worried about being jumped/robbed/attacked/shot while cutting, you are probably working in the wrong area.

Certainly the possibility of human attack lessens as you get farther from urban environments, but I am of the opinion that bad things can happen anywhere. I admit the reality of using my pistol for personal protection from a human while firewooding is slim, but other member's posts regarding protection from wild animals are reasonable. No different than going hiking in an area where there is dangerous game. Once you have committed to carrying you operate by the, "The one time I don't carry is when its gonna hit the fan," mentality, so it just makes sense to have it on you at all times. Its like an avid firewood scrounger leaving his pickup and saw at home and missing out on a load of free oak because he drove his wife's car to save a few bucks on gas. The scrounger just isn't willing to put themselves in that position, neither is someone who typically has a gun with them.

Hey, don't carry

Guido, don't carry, no problem.

I am a retired Vermont State Trooper. Several years ago two young men, kids really 16 or so showed up at an old Vermonter's home one evening asking for directions. The old Vermonter met the kids at the front door with a 12 gauge shotgun and urged them to look some place else for directions. The following morning the old Vermonter discovered his phone lines were cut and a shallow grave had been dug behind his home. A short time later the same two young men visited two Dartmouth college professors and told them they were high school students doing a paper. The professors invited the two young men in their home. The young men proceeded to stab both
professors to death. I don't know for sure, but I suspect the professors from Dartmouth likely didn't have a firearm in the house.

XTROOPER

open carry...only when I'm out where the wild things oughta be, and there's a dead cow nearby (happens quite a bit actually)

hunk of stainless metal on the belt...buckshot in the truck

perhaps I'm arrogant, but my brain is a better weapon than any firearm...I just don't take any tool with me that I don't intend to use...firearms are tools, not emergency kits to me

head on a swivel, assess threat, confront before escalation is forced...and there are weapons everywhere if you look

I do appreciate the efficiency of firearms, and preparedness of folks who carry

Last edited:
Usually, I cut alone in the oak, maple, ash, and beech area at the far end of my parents' farm. There's a new suburban YMCA satellite just on the other side of the property border. Its a nice facility with multiple outdoor soccer fields and indoor basketball, deck hockey, weightlifting, and personal training areas. At least once per cutting season, there has been someone from the YMCA who wanders into the woods to see what I'm doing. Fortunately, they were nice people, but I know that the YMCA attracts all kinds.

A person might not think much of it by reading what I write here, but actually being in a secluded woods and having a couple strangers walk up to where you are is disconcerting. What makes it worse is that sometimes you're not aware that anybody is there until you turn off your saw.

no firing

I have never given thought to owning a pistol, much less carrying one while I was cutting wood. Perhaps I have lived a sheltered life, but the coming Armageddon everyone everyone seems to be preparing for seems to have bypassed me. If you are worried about being jumped/robbed/attacked/shot while cutting, you are probably working in the wrong area.

Go ahead, fire away.... :msp_confused:

You just haven't run into that situation yet, that's all.

I used to work in a gunshop, fully half the hand guns we sold were to people who prefaced the purchase with "well, I didn't "believe" in guns before, but.." then they would relate some pretty nasty stuff that happened to them/sister/neighbor, etc. After the fact of needing one. We were talking about it and guesstimated around 200 people in a two year period all had the same general tale of woe, and wanted one when it was too late for the first encounter. they didn't "believe". Well, what the heck are all those news stories all over the US everyday about violent crime, just a TV show, fiction? No one really "believes" it will happen to them until it does. Just because it hasn't happened to you, don't it mean it won't. And there are no perfect areas. Like when that pack of five pitbulls attacked here..uhhh....there is no reasoning with them. I wasn't expecting it. And they actually attacked my GF first, charged her as she was coming out of the greenhouse, but one of my dogs jumped in and and that was enough to keep them occupied until I came on the scene, from the screams, and they ran off. They had to go way outta their way to get this close to the house and were for sure downright mean nasty and aggressive. they weren't "provoked". And this is just generic country side. I tracked them down the next day, after looking for them that night and me and the dog getting into another fight, and potted one and winged another and the rest ran off. they would have killed any single unarmed person, I don't care if you are Rambo, five dogs is four too many to deal with to try and keep from getting chomped and dragged down, big dude or not, a pack can do it. All kinds of big macho tough guys get taken down by a single police dog all the time. Ain't no fighting a pack off unless you have an effective weapon handy and some notice.

Methheads decide they want your stuff, who knows. And that's all over, no area is "free" of that, even your area, wherever that is. No reasoning with those guys either, wild pitbulls on two legs with their brains occupied with one thing and one thing only "need something for money I can sell or actual money fast, this hit is wearing off, don't care how I get what I need".. And now how about flashmobs? Been all sorts of headlines lately about flashmobs just randomly doing a bit of the old ultra violence on random people, for sport or a little profit, for fun in other words.

We who decided long ago to be prepared to defend self and local innocents have a term we use for people who choose not to..we call them "professional victims".

I sincerely hope nothing like that ever happens to you, and I ain't putting you down, but you've been "lucky", there is no 100% guaranteed skill involved in avoiding unusual and dangerous situations,in the woods or on the street.

The old phrase goes "stuff happens" and you won't know it until it does, and the time to prepare for it is not at that particular time, it is before that.

From the time I get up in the a.m. to the time I go to bed I have a pistol or revolver on me. I carry for protection from both two and four legged animals. When in the forest I have a model 629 loaded with heavy 300 grain loads. When not in the forest I carry a Glock 20.

Never thought about needing a gun where I cut. Not many poisonous snakes around here. No bears or wolverines either. Never had enough people trouble to warrant the need so far. I will openly carry a pistol for snakes when mushroom hunting sometimes, just depends on the size of the 'shrooms .:biggrin:

Hate to be the killjoy here Zogger but I really don't care if you have your whole gun cabinet with you, if as someone stated in a post above when you are sawing you will never know they are there with the saw running and you concentrating on the job at hand. If they really mean to get what you have you will have a bullet in the back of the head while your gun is still in the holster and the saw still in your cold dead hands. I am not saying that in certain cases it would come in very handy it would, but again if they really want it gun or no gun either you equipment or yourself or more then likely both of you will be gone. Now protection from animals is a whole different story but even with that I am trying real hard to think of ANY type of animal that I could not fend of with a running chain saw here in Iowa. Different part of the country sure bears, moose, wolves and what have you but for the lions share of the board I would hope could cut with out carrying. Again JMHO.

I like to carry a pistol as much as possible, both to express my rights as well as protect myself, my property, and those around me. Certainly dragging around a few thousand dollars worth of saws, splitter, firewood, etc., after a long day of harvesting my most beloved natural resource would be a time I would like to have my pistol on my person. I think most would agree that having your gun in the truck is better than at home in the safe, but there is no better place than on your body, ready to draw, if necessary. If I were selling and delivering firewood you can bet I would be carrying since most transactions deal in cash and are with unknowns. What say you members of AS, anyone else feel the need to be strapped when firewooding?

I normally either have my gun on me or near me. Plus the 870 for any varmint running around:msp_thumbup:
I carry more for the 2 legged crazies. I cut on family owned land but the neighbors always think they own further than what they really do.
Plus I always like to pop some rounds off in a chunk of wood.:hmm3grin2orange:

I carry period. Woodcutting is no exception.

Usually a G-30 or a G-19 in Hume J.I.T. for daily thrashing, or a CTAC for out on the town, church,shopping etc.
It's just the normal routine.

Nobody goes willingly to a planned ambush or assault, and nobody plans on getting assaulted anywhere.
Yet for some reason, the first thing out of thier mouths afterwards is "I never thought I would get(Insert favorite type of violent assault here) here", like thier Crystal ball was suddenly on the fritz or some ####.

The sidearm hangs on the belt, for the same reason a fire extinguisher hangs on the wall in our home.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

It's threads like this that make me quite happy to be canadian.

I don't even know anybody who has a handgun.:dizzy:

I carry my XD45 ever since I was shot at and couldn't shoot back. Never again. It was just someone not paying attention, but it got my attention. I cut on USFS land far from cell phone reception.

Back