CCW while firewooding?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I carry my XD45 ever since I was shot at and couldn't shoot back. Never again. It was just someone not paying attention, but it got my attention. I cut on USFS land far from cell phone reception.

XD45 FTW

Is yours the full size or compact? What size slide?

XD45 FTW

Is yours the full size or compact? What size slide?

Hmm... It's got the full sized handle, which I sometimes regret getting. the slide is about 1 inch short of the ones the police around here carry, cause my surplus fitted holster is a wee bit big, I want to say 5", but not sure.

I like the full handle for accuracy and handling, and my frame and clothing choices keep it mostly tucked and out of the dirt.

Last edited:
Hmm... It's got the full sized handle, which I sometimes regret getting. the slide is about 1 inch short of the ones the police around here carry, cause my surplus fitted holster is a wee bit big, I want to say 5", but not sure.

I like the full handle for accuracy and handling, and my frame and clothing choices keep it mostly tucked and out of the dirt.

Here is my 5" tactical compact with a pearce grip extension

IMG_20110306_020523.jpg

If your slide sticks out past the frame like mine, you have the 5", if its almost flush at the front, you have the 4". Also, the 5" says "tactical" on the slide.... my guess is you have the 4" service

I prefer the compact with the pearce grip for CCW, plus I can always drop the 13rnd mag in with extension for full size if need be.

Pm me if you ever want to know more about XD's.....I know a whole lot and where to get all the cool shiny stuff for them :)

It's threads like this that make me quite happy to be canadian.

I don't even know anybody who has a handgun.:dizzy:

I have lived all my life in the USA, and nobody around me had ever offered information as to whether they had a handgun or not. So, for a long time I also could have said, "I don't even know anybody who has a handgun."

Later in my life I got involved with target shooting and got to know some people who own handguns. What I'm saying is that I actively had to pursue a relationship with these people to know about their handgun ownership.

Handgun ownership is more of a personal thing with a lot of people. People generally don't talk about it. I know a lot of hunters who have rifles, shotguns, and archery equipment, but I have no idea if most of them own a handgun. Also, one of the dirty little secrets about Hollywood actors and actresses is that a lot of them own handguns, but it's not politically correct to talk about it.

Now, how sure are you that you don't even know anybody who has a handgun? Maybe you know them but they don't talk about it. That's been my experience.

I have lived all my life in the USA, and nobody around me had ever offered information as to whether they had a handgun or not. So, for a long time I also could have said, "I don't even know anybody who has a handgun."

Later in my life I got involved with target shooting and got to know some people who own handguns. What I'm saying is that I actively had to pursue a relationship with these people to know about their handgun ownership.

Handgun ownership is more of a personal thing with a lot of people. People generally don't talk about it. I know a lot of hunters who have rifles, shotguns, and archery equipment, but I have no idea if most of them own a handgun. Also, one of the dirty little secrets about Hollywood actors and actresses is that a lot of them own handguns, but it's not politically correct to talk about it.

Now, how sure are you that you don't even know anybody who has a handgun? Maybe you know them but they don't talk about it. That's been my experience.

Not 100% sure, but handguns are very rare IIRC in Canada...I have a buddy that goes up there every year for fishing trips and the Mounties don't give him sweat about long guns, but have confiscated one of his handguns.....they just don't like them up there

To each their own, but that is the scariest thing I have read in a while......

Yes, to each their own, but I don't see why that scared you. I've never had a scare in my life that had anything to do with a gun. We just don't have them. I could drive for miles and miles without passing a house that contained a gun. It's unusual here to see any kind of gun. Anywhere.

The odd farmer might have a rifle, or a hunter with an old 12 gauge, but handguns? For protection? From what?

This is a very peaceful place. The most dangerous thing someone is liable to pull on you is a bic lighter. I'm not anti-gun. I believe anyone should be able to have all the guns, or anything else, that they want. I'm just glad I don't need one.

Yes, to each their own, but I don't see why that scared you. I've never had a scare in my life that had anything to do with a gun. We just don't have them. I could drive for miles and miles without passing a house that contained a gun. It's unusual here to see any kind of gun. Anywhere.

The odd farmer might have a rifle, or a hunter with an old 12 gauge, but handguns? For protection? From what?

This is a very peaceful place. The most dangerous thing someone is liable to pull on you is a bic lighter. I'm not anti-gun. I believe anyone should be able to have all the guns, or anything else, that they want. I'm just glad I don't need one.

Nothing wrong with how you feel, I know a little about the gun situation up there, but not everything.

As posted though, there are a lot of people here that are buying guns that have thought for a long time they didn't need one until something happened.

I bought mine and got my CCW when I was repoing cars years ago....it was nice to have on my hip, OWB....most confrontations in the office dissapated once I came in the door with it on my hip.

Also as posted, I would rather have one and not need it than to need it and not have it..........

Props to you if you never have the need for one

I'm quite sure that nobody I know owns a handgun. I could count all the people I know with shotguns on one hand. People don't have guns in this area, it's as simple as that.

Not 100% sure, but handguns are very rare IIRC in Canada...I have a buddy that goes up there every year for fishing trips and the Mounties don't give him sweat about long guns, but have confiscated one of his handguns.....they just don't like them up there

I'm not 100% sure about our gun laws either, but I do know they are very restrictive. It's a huge amount of hassle to get a permit for a handgun. Even for a rifle you have to take a course, get a permit, get a criminal check, get interviewed by the police I think....a lot of unnecessary BS probably.

I don't have anything against you guys and your guns, it just all seems strange to me. A whole different way of life.

It's threads like this that make me quite happy to be canadian.

I don't even know anybody who has a handgun.:dizzy:

It's a right to bear arms thing... You have to understand I really enjoy not having to carry a gun while cutting. But I am really encouraged by the folks on the site that do. If the Michigan boys could get rid of Wayne county, they would be like us ozark folks. Good people up there...
Just sayin'...;) An armed society is a polite society... ;)

I really hope The USA doesn't end up like Canada as far as gun laws go.
I can't think of to many people that DON'T own a handgun. And I'd venture a guess that 9 out of 10 households have at least an old .22 rifle in the closet.

To each their own, but that is the scariest thing I have read in a while......

+1

We don't carry a firearm everyday because we are scared of the evil that's in this world. We carry a firearm, and train with it so that we can properly address the evil when it confronts us.

Personally, I flat out refuse to allow someone else to dictate how capable I am at defending myself against them. My Government is NOT responsible for me. (Actually, I could have just stopped at responsible). I'm a grown adult, and I'm responsible for myself, and for my family, and generally speaking when we see someone else that literally can't stand for themselves, we step in on their behalf because we can. It's an American thing. It's just the way we are.

When cutting firewood, I'm more concerned about the coyotes, stray dogs, and/or coons that I may see while driving down the lane or while getting my equipment ready. I've seen a fair amount over the years, and yes I could have let them walk along, but I choose to dispatch them. That's one less mouth that's eating the rabbits and game birds. I also don't always go straight to the woods. Sometimes I stop along the way for gas, at the hardware store, grocery store for some drinks or who knows where. Napoleon said "chance favors the prepared mind," and I choose to always be prepared.

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto (Japanese Navy) ...

Pretty much sums it up there....:msp_thumbup:

And for our peaceful brothers to the north, here is an interesting read about another very peaceful place called......<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland">Switzerland</a>.....:cheers:

And yet another read on a group of like minded individuals, your friendly neighborhood <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Defense_Forces#Service">IDF</a>, an equal opportunity employer....:msp_thumbup:

Last edited:
Unless I am felling big trees

Hate to be the killjoy here Zogger but I really don't care if you have your whole gun cabinet with you, if as someone stated in a post above when you are sawing you will never know they are there with the saw running and you concentrating on the job at hand. If they really mean to get what you have you will have a bullet in the back of the head while your gun is still in the holster and the saw still in your cold dead hands. I am not saying that in certain cases it would come in very handy it would, but again if they really want it gun or no gun either you equipment or yourself or more then likely both of you will be gone. Now protection from animals is a whole different story but even with that I am trying real hard to think of ANY type of animal that I could not fend of with a running chain saw here in Iowa. Different part of the country sure bears, moose, wolves and what have you but for the lions share of the board I would hope could cut with out carrying. Again JMHO.

My dogs are with me and they would probably pick up on some badguys close enough. Now a dedicated long range rifle shooter, no, but anything else, yes. One of them picked up on a sneak thief a quarter mile away before, up at the airport here, and I went and rousted him out.

To each their own. Like I said I have stopped getting car jacked before because I was carrying, just stopped at a random light downtown atlanta, had my window down as I like fresh air, and someone ran up and tried to grab the wheel and door handle. World's worst timing for a jack attempt, I had *just* bought a 44. Not kidding. Whipped it out, told him to F off and he ran, fast. Another time was living in a second story apartment, a noise woke me up, a burglar had climbed in the kitchen window, there was a fence nearby he got a boost from. Again, grabbed a piece, point, walked to the door, opened it up said "get out", he left. Rodney king riots, got a call from GF downtown, she and her mom trapped in their work buildings, riots going on all around their area, the cops (the federal building actually in Atlanta) with my first trip in wouldn't let anyone out unless there was a car right there for them, so I went down to rescue them,(much longer story than this, took me two trips then later on that afternoon some friends and I had to group up and protect our neighborhood) got surrounded by the mob, one car blocked me in on purpose, they guy was laughing about it, he wanted to see me get stomped by the mob, had to get pretty physical with that driver to get him to move, he got a dent in his skull, and me with my piece held the mob off until I could get outta there and complete my mission. Didn't shoot anyone but I was pretty darn serious about showing my intentions if any of them got close to me. Finally met up with a roadblock with the cops and I quick told him my story and he said they were ORDERED to let the mob run nutz, to do NOTHING. He was disgusted with that, I mean annoyed beyond belief. He told me go ahead and blast 'em if a similar situation occurred to me on the way back home, as different areas where spring up with mob violence all around.

I mean that was five minutes between "normal" all sorts of folks walking around regular, then the same people rioting and going batsquat crazy. I saw kids, old ladies, middle aged folks, you name it, all rioting, busting glass looting stores torching cars, etc. It's like a switch got flipped.

I'm not even close to being a racist, I am an old civil rights worker from the old days, all the way up to taking tear gas at rights demonstrations (peaceful, they gassed us anyway), but I ain't dumb either, badguys doing wrong just can't be ignored or reasoned with.

Then on farms and out and about, etc, you just never freaking know. I have been attacked twice now by wild dog packs, the first time I was out with my bow and nailed one as they came in from all sides, the others circled around then and followed me a LONG way back to the dirt road. They wanted a kill.

There's no way I am gonna be pollyanna about self defense. You go through unexpected stuff like that and it teaches you a lesson.

So it doesn't matter, chainsawing or not, city or country or burbs, you just do not know. No one is that psychic to know when the unexpected can show up and present you with "interesting times".. guys like me telling our stories are just really trying to be helpful, no different from any other "safety" issue, like hey, wear your skull bucket when riding your scoot, we don't want anyone to find out after the fact when it is too late how your situation can go from OK to terrible in seconds. that's all. We aren't violence freaks (I am real peaceful meselfs, don't go looking for any trouble), I am not a "nut", I own a few firearms, just like saws, that's it, no huge collection, but sometimes trouble finds you anyway and it is real handy to have an effective self defense tool, plus know how and when to use it.

It's a right to bear arms thing... You have to understand I really enjoy not having to carry a gun while cutting. But I am really encouraged by the folks on the site that do. If the Michigan boys could get rid of Wayne county, they would be like us ozark folks. Good people up there...
Just sayin'...;) An armed society is a polite society... ;)

I moved out of the western Detroit suburbs and went north for college in 2004. Besides a few summers home to live with my parents I have been out of that area since then, my only regret in leaving is that my family is still back there. Life up here in the center of the mitten is a lot more easy going, and it seems that I encounter a lot more decent people along the way. Now, I just have to steer clear of the east side of Saginaw and Flint, thankfully I bought my house far enough from both it will take a long time for the bad guys to catch up with me.

Another favorite saying of mine is, "When seconds count, the police are minutes away."

Hey canadian guys, come on down to baltimore city:D. Tell the nice men milling around what a peaceful man you are.:hmm3grin2orange:

If you could read instead of constantly shooting your mouth off, AF, you would have noticed that I said I don't need a gun in this area. Someone like you, yes, I would think you would need one.

Back