CCW while firewooding?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose that the people who have responded to this thread fall into the following two camps:

A) Those that always carry weapons because the government is not trustworthy and/or everyone is a threat to assault them or steal their possessions, or;
B) Those who do not view themselves as a perpetual target of violence or robbery and do not view the risk justifies a weapon.

While I fall into the latter camp, there is no certainty that if I carried a weapon that I would be guaranteed protection for myself, my possessions or my family. While everyone boasts about how they would shoot anyone that "threatens" them, the use of a firearm has its own implications and might in fact escalate the situation and instead result in injury or death to them.

I realize that I am not going to change the views of the NRA and Tea Party members here, but there are some in society that view that everyone (including the government) is not out to screw them and take everything they own.

I will leave you guys to shoot it out...

Well I don't fall in either category. I fall in the category of I own a 42 acre farm that I don't live on and I've got hoodlums, crack heads, thugs or a full fledged nut job for all I know ripping the aluminum gutters off the house, stealing the copper (even tore the drywall off to get every last piece), kicked in all the doors on the house and out buildings, slashed the tires on a MF 185, spray painted graffiti on all the buildings, stole my deer stands, etc. etc. etc. It's not a once a year deal. Every week I go over there I notice something missing or damaged. I carry a gun every time I go hoping to catch the bastards. I have no idea if the guy is a common thief or there is more to him than that. I've only caught on person over there so far. He was riding a four wheeler right over the soy beans. He seen the gun on my hip, he nearly pissed himself and after a severe ass chewing I was confident I would never see him again. Now when it comes time to cut the gun stays in the truck. I wouldn't risk messing up a firearm while cutting. I prepare for the worst and expect the best in life, you just never know what you may encounter these days.

Well I don't fall in either category. I fall in the category of I own a 42 acre farm that I don't live on and I've got hoodlums, crack heads, thugs or a full fledged nut job for all I know ripping the aluminum gutters off the house, stealing the copper (even tore the drywall off to get every last piece), kicked in all the doors on the house and out buildings, slashed the tires on a MF 185, spray painted graffiti on all the buildings, stole my deer stands, etc. etc. etc. It's not a once a year deal. Every week I go over there I notice something missing or damaged. I carry a gun every time I go hoping to catch the bastards. I have no idea if the guy is a common thief or there is more to him than that. I've only caught on person over there so far. He was riding a four wheeler right over the soy beans. He seen the gun on my hip, he nearly pissed himself and after a severe ass chewing I was confident I would never see him again. Now when it comes time to cut the gun stays in the truck. I wouldn't risk messing up a firearm while cutting. I prepare for the worst and expect the best in life, you just never know what you may encounter these days.

By the way, i got $336 for the copper.:mad::mad:

If you are ascared of snakes, a shotgun is better.

Use cci shotshells in my 44mag, easier to carry.

When I'm cutting near where I live I don't feel the need to have a gun near me. When I'm cutting on my rental property, which is in Independence, better known as meth capitol of the world, I'm now considering carrying a weapon. It wont be concealed because I don't want the hassle of getting a permit, besides all of my handguns are bigger revolvers not easily concealed. So I don't believe I fit into any of the categories so far. As far as self protection, I like a loud dog, a 410 pump shotgun, and/or 24 inch peice of #500 xhhn copper wire inside the house. Dolmar 6400 in the woods.

Last edited:
Me neither. However, to imply that the only motivation for carrying a weapon is fear, well that's just flat out incorrect. Do you wear a seat belt? Does your vehicle contain a spare tire? Do you own a fire extinguisher? Does your house have a smoke detector in it? On a daily basis, how afraid are you of a car wreck, flat tire, or a fire?

I know several people who have bought a firearm out of fear, and I've had a lot of people ask me over the years what kind of gun should I buy for protection. My answer has ALWAYS been, buy a shotgun, and that has NEVER been the answer they were looking for.

The truth is that owning a firearm is a lot like owning a horse. It's a way of life, and if it's not, then the owner is likely to get seriously injured some day. Handguns specifically, are very difficult to operate proficiently, and even more so in a high stress situation, and are by far the most ineffective type of firearm for killing anything, and very few gun owners are willing to dedicate the time, energy, and resources to become proficient with them. Personally, I think it should be law that EVERYONE owns at least one gun, and EVERYONE is required to complete a 2 week (80 hr) firearms training program by the end of their 18th year. But that's just me.

The second amendment did not originate out of fear. The purpose of the entire bill of rights, and for that matter the constitution, is to maintain our freedom. Freedom has a price, and it is high. It is our responsibility, our duty to confront those who would want to take our freedom, and send them back to the hell that they came from. When a person becomes a victim, often times they no longer live in freedom, they live in fear.

There are several polite "unarmed" societies in this world which have a relatively low crime rate. I've been to a few of them, and I've met people from even more. I've noticed one thing about them all. The people are not driven. They have no competitive spirit about them. They are sheep. They are not known for producing gold medal athletes. They are not known for producing the best this, or that. They are not on the cutting edge of anything. To put forth extra effort in order to be the best you can be at something is somewhat of a foreign concept to them. That is not an accurate description of the US. As a whole, we are not sheep, we are shepherds. In societies like ours, there are always those who find it easier to break the rules in order to get what they want, and the burden for dealing with such people falls on WE THE PEOPLE, not our "king" (the government). When we decide that it is the governments responsibility to deal with these issues, we are no longer supporting the country our founding fathers established, rather we are supporting the exact type of government that they fought and died to free us from.

So, we must be forced to carry guns to defend ourselves from people who want to take away our freedon?
Think about that a while.

By the way, the Scandinavian countries kick our butts in the Winter Olympics. Look up the Nordic events.
Cross country skiing, which is one of the toughest sports there is. And those ones where you ski and shoot rifles. I don't think we've ever won a gold medal in that. The ski jumpers. We have a hard time in the Alpine skiing events too. Those pesky, contented "sheep" win.

No wonder our country is swirlling the crapper.

If you excersize a god given right, codified in the constitution, you are a righ wing nut case. Do I have that about right?

As already pointed out, we have other tools at our disposal, should the need arise for them. Such as fire extingishers, spare tires, smoke detectors, seat belts, and we even buy INSURANCE for "just in case".

It is insanity to lead yourself to belive that since you live in a "nice" community, that people with evil intentions will never cross your path.

If you are the type that doesn't want to arm yourself, as you are entitled to by our constitution, then by all means, remain disarmed. Who really cares? I won't feel the LEAST bit sorry for you when/if you get hurt or killed. You decide what is personally the right thing to do for YOURSELF and your family.

Just keep your sorry paws off MY rights. I choose to arm myself. I choose to not allow myself or my family to become a victim of evil. Stop sticking your nose in MY life, and worry about yourselves. If you don't like the FACT that I have an inherant RIGHT to arm myself any old time I please, then YOU are free to pack your belongings and MOVE to another country that suits your liking.

So, we must be forced to carry guns to defend ourselves from people who want to take away our freedon?
Think about that a while.

It depends on how badly those people want to take your freedom. No one should be forced to do anything other than to learn to safely and responsibly use the tools they have been given access too. There are plenty of ways to stand up to those who would do someone harm, and most of them don't require a gun of any sort, however in some circumstances it is required.

OK, now a completely different question. What do you gun toters do to enlighten society about gun safety?
For me, the scariest things I've encountered are people out target shooting, who think there is nobody about in the woods despite the evidence of work going on nearby. They then start target shooting with no back stop (illegal here) even shooting where a road was in their line. Are you actively promoting gun safety?

This problem was even worse in Arizona where the woods were flat. Idiots were firing away with no thought to where their bullets would go. This was what made me nervous. Imagine going to work in a free fire zone.

In some areas, we were not allowed to go out to work during hunting season, unless we worked in an open area. Do you identify what you are shooting at before pulling the trigger? Are you 100% sure of what you are about to shoot?

Do you help folks to learn the rules? Do you stop and talk to armed folks who are unsafe? I sure did.

Do you realize that you need a good backstop when target practicing? Scattered trees do not fit the bill. Do you even target shoot so you are fairly accurate? Or do you just hope you'll hit the bad man when you are frightened to death?

I will tell you that the idiots with guns who have them because "it is their right to carry" are a bigger threat to gun owners than anything else. You ought to be out promoting gun safety rather than insulting those of us who don't share the same views on packing a gun around with us.

That's it for me here.

OK, now a completely different question. What do you gun toters do to enlighten society about gun safety?
For me, the scariest things I've encountered are people out target shooting, who think there is nobody about in the woods despite the evidence of work going on nearby. They then start target shooting with no back stop (illegal here) even shooting where a road was in their line. Are you actively promoting gun safety?

This problem was even worse in Arizona where the woods were flat. Idiots were firing away with no thought to where their bullets would go. This was what made me nervous. Imagine going to work in a free fire zone.

In some areas, we were not allowed to go out to work during hunting season, unless we worked in an open area. Do you identify what you are shooting at before pulling the trigger? Are you 100% sure of what you are about to shoot?

Do you help folks to learn the rules? Do you stop and talk to armed folks who are unsafe? I sure did.

Do you realize that you need a good backstop when target practicing? Scattered trees do not fit the bill. Do you even target shoot so you are fairly accurate? Or do you just hope you'll hit the bad man when you are frightened to death?

I will tell you that the idiots with guns who have them because "it is their right to carry" are a bigger threat to gun owners than anything else. You ought to be out promoting gun safety rather than insulting those of us who don't share the same views on packing a gun around with us.

That's it for me here.

Your immunity to logic combined with your ability to vote is far more dangerous than my gun.

That's it for me here.

First off, I know more about safegun handling, hunting, and firearms in general, than you could ever absorb, most likely. Have I instructed people about safe firearm handling? Of course I have.

The world is populated with idiots. No doubt about it.

However, you are becoming quite rediculous about this.

There are over 80 million gun owners in America. Can you tell me how many firearm deaths a year happen, from people engaged in legal activities? You know, firearm deaths NOT commited by gang bangers and drug dealer types.
Can you now tell me how MANY people a year DIE from car realted fatalities? Or how about just isolating the drunk driver cases......

More people DIE each year from lighting strikes, than are killed in gun related incidents.

Take your straw man arguements and pitch it in the spreader with the rest of the bullcrap arguement you have propped up, please.

If we are gonna have a discussion, lets discuss it with facts like adults. Can we refrain from the schoolyard imaginary "cootey" type arguements? K... Thanks.....

Yes, to each their own, but I don't see why that scared you. I've never had a scare in my life that had anything to do with a gun. We just don't have them. I could drive for miles and miles without passing a house that contained a gun. It's unusual here to see any kind of gun. Anywhere.

The odd farmer might have a rifle, or a hunter with an old 12 gauge, but handguns? For protection? From what?

This is a very peaceful place. The most dangerous thing someone is liable to pull on you is a bic lighter. I'm not anti-gun. I believe anyone should be able to have all the guns, or anything else, that they want. I'm just glad I don't need one.

If my scariest neighbor was "Anne of Green Gables," I probably wouldn't own a handgun, either.

Here in AZ, we no longer need a ccw permit to carry concealed. I personally have a ccw permit. I learned alot taking the class, and feel that they should teach the class, or something similar in high school. We also have open carry laws that allow citizens to open carry in 'most' places. You are always going to have nut jobs, even in Canada, that don't obey laws. I love the ability to defend myself, and my family if the need arises. Always be aware of your surroundings, always be alert, and always have the correct tool for the job at hand. A car is a convienience, and a driver's license is not a right. The right to be armed is a right. Far more deaths are caused by a law abiding citizen with a car, than with a gun.

That's it for me here.

Maybe you are catching flak because you come across as lumping all who carry into the same category as those who don't practice common sense while shooting like the ones you described above.
All who carry aren't a bunch of gung ho idiots just waiting to cap someones ass.

I don't even carry a knive most of the time no less a firearm. I been 50 years without being attacked by much more than a couple bees, hopefully the next 20-30 years will be as uneventful. I'm not saying that it's a bad idea, just that I don't see it as being necessary. Don't be fooled, I ain't no city dweller, if I lived there I'd carry every day!

Times do change. Thirty years ago, I wouldn't think of carrying when working on the farm. None of my family members ever felt threatened, and we saw no need for handguns.

Now suburbia has encroached, and more folks take curious drives, ATV rides, hikes, walks, etc. onto the farm. Most are harmless, but I know that at least a couple meth heads were up to no good. Eight years ago, there were two home invasions just two miles down the road. That's when "we" started locking our doors all the time and keeping our hunting rifles and shotguns nearby.

First off, I know more about safegun handling, hunting, and firearms in general, than you could ever absorb, most likely. Have I instructed people about safe firearm handling? Of course I have.

The world is populated with idiots. No doubt about it.

However, you are becoming quite rediculous about this.

There are over 80 million gun owners in America. Can you tell me how many firearm deaths a year happen, from people engaged in legal activities? You know, firearm deaths NOT commited by gang bangers and drug dealer types.
Can you now tell me how MANY people a year DIE from car realted fatalities? Or how about just isolating the drunk driver cases......

More people DIE each year from lighting strikes, than are killed in gun related incidents.

Take your straw man arguements and pitch it in the spreader with the rest of the bullcrap arguement you have propped up, please.

If we are gonna have a discussion, lets discuss it with facts like adults. Can we refrain from the schoolyard imaginary "cootey" type arguements? K... Thanks.....

Goodness, dear boy, you have committed the sin of thinking you can tell everything about a person from the internet. There's a lot of that going on.

The difference between cars and guns is that cars were not designed for killing. Guns are. Now, do you target shoot? Are you safe in your gun handling? Or must I fear you when I go out for a walk in the woods?

Cootie aguments? Nope. Just wondering and only one person has said he had training. Good for him.
Now, how many of you can be sure to hit whatever you shoot at after you have been running a saw for a while?

Training

Goodness, dear boy, you have committed the sin of thinking you can tell everything about a person from the internet. There's a lot of that going on.

The difference between cars and guns is that cars were not designed for killing. Guns are. Now, do you target shoot? Are you safe in your gun handling? Or must I fear you when I go out for a walk in the woods?

Cootie aguments? Nope. Just wondering and only one person has said he had training. Good for him.
Now, how many of you can be sure to hit whatever you shoot at after you have been running a saw for a while?

Just a wild guess on my part, but I would imagine a lot of guys here have had training. Both civilian organized (scouts, shooting/sportsman clubs, hunter safety courses, etc), gramps and pops teaching them when little, and in the service. About the same as discussing the proper use of any tools out there, including saws.

Latest posts

Back