CCW while firewooding?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a little surprised that this thread degraded as much as it did, but we have all kinds here. A firearm is a tool, and like any tool, it should be handled properly. A chainsaw can be extremely dangerous in the wrong hands, but most people can and do learn to use it properly. The same can be said for firearms.

I carry, but it's not because I'm paranoid or have a God complex. It's there like a screwdriver in case I need it. No one is responsible to protect me and my family except for me. The job of the police is not to protect, but to enforce the law where and when they can. They won't play bodyguard, and usually show up when everything is all said and done.

It's my right to have access to a firearm, and I choose to exercise that right. If someone decides that they don't want to, that's their decision. The world is not all sunshine and roses. Anyone telling you otherwise is selling something.

All that said, there are some idiots out there with guns, but so are those that drink and drive.

That's my 2 cents. :msp_smile:

From someone who carries a firearm for a living I can tell ya it isint for everyone nor should it be. I have a weapon within arms reach 24/7. There are definately days when I wish I diddnt, cause it is a huge responsability and not very convienent. Regardless It is a personal decision. I carry a glock 27 everywhere but in the woods where I keep a midsize 22 auto for critters and with the knowledge of how to use it can be used for protection as well.

As far as society and the like, well I think it is smart to protect yourself because few others will. But it dosent require the possession of a a firearm to do that. In my case I have enough people spread out over a large enough area that i need to watch out for that I best keep one handy. LOL and I just realized I make more friends every day LOL.

Not everyone who carries a firearm is a reckless jerk however not everyone who carries a firearm is a responsable citizen. There are all kinds out there.

As somesawguy said; firearms are a tool. Properly maintained, they're handy for countless circumstances. First time wading fishing, a snake took a liking to me. I flaied at him with my fishingrod to no avail. From then on I carried a .22 revolver loaded with rat shot. No more falling down, splashing, and losing equipment. Just calmly use the snake charmer, and go on about my fishing.

I've had gun training beat into my head my entire life! Mom, Dad, hunter safety courses, 4H, CCW courses etc!
I've been in some tight spots without a gun, had three car loads of gang bangers chasing me one night, a case of mistaken identiy or so I was told later! Didn't matter to me!
Had a group of stupid, young rednecks try to bum rush me one night! The three Rounds I put over there heads didn't even phase them!
I've learned a gun is a great tool to have, but it's a terrible tool to have as well!

Goodness, dear boy, you have committed the sin of thinking you can tell everything about a person from the internet. There's a lot of that going on.

The difference between cars and guns is that cars were not designed for killing. Guns are. Now, do you target shoot? Are you safe in your gun handling? Or must I fear you when I go out for a walk in the woods?

Cootie aguments? Nope. Just wondering and only one person has said he had training. Good for him.
Now, how many of you can be sure to hit whatever you shoot at after you have been running a saw for a while?

Excuse me while I :msp_lol:

I have had more training than most people. Goes far beyond hunters saftey.

The only fear you should have of me, is if you have evil intent. If you do, I garuntee, you aren't safe within 1500 meters. :msp_wink:

You presume much, but know little. :msp_tongue:

Facts of the matter ARE, cars are MANY times more dangerous than guns. Do you also have an irrational fear of nuclear arms and power facilities? Seems a case of hoplophobia to me.

+1. I never thought it would turn out like this, but many members have posted answers to the question I asked originally, and to those persons a big thank you!

I have considered it but have not pursued a permit. I did not read the entirety of this thread but simply put, I never cared much for pistols so I really do not want to carry one.

Own plenty of guns and enjoy hunting and target shooting but can't come up with any reason to carry while cutting. I do usually have a saw in my truck when hunting, though, does that count?

There sure is a ton of misconceptions in this thread… on both sides of the argument. One big one is the idea that those of us that carry live in some sort fear… which is so far from the truth as to be ridiculous.

It is not fear that drives most of us that carry, it’s a lifestyle decision. For many of us it’s the same as burning wood to heat our homes… although we give many reasons for burning wood, such as saving money, or we love being in the woods cutting… but in reality most of us burn because we like to be self-sufficient. My guess is that, like me, most of the rural dwellers here on the board also have a garden, can or freeze much of their own vegetables. Most probably shoot and/or raise and butcher much of their meat. Many have a portable generator ready to fire up when and if the power goes out. We own tools and welders, know how to use them, designing and building the things we need or want. We do our own plumbing and electrical repairs. We prefer to not have to rely on anyone for anything… and that includes not relying on government or law enforcement to protect us or our families.

I do not carry a gun because I fear something… Ya’ see, when the power goes out when it’s -30 outside, I don’t get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach because I heat with wood and have generator ready to supply my home, and water well with electricity. When a 5-day blizzard plugs the roads, making it impossible to get to the grocery store, I don’t have to be afraid I’ll run short of food for my family because I grow, gather and put-up my own food. If something breaks I don’t have to worry how long it will take for the “guy” to repair it, or what it will cost… because I have the tools and equipment to fix it myself. I don’t own my generator, tools and welder, or put-up my own food, because I fear something today… rather I own and do those things so that if something bad does happen I’m prepared, I won’t be afraid or worry then.

My wife and I don’t carry guns because we fear evil today… Rather we carry because we want to be prepared. We carry so if (heaven forbid) evil ever does come at us, or our children, we won’t have to be afraid then. It’s a simple lifestyle decision… we prefer to be self-sufficient and fully prepared in every aspect of our lives… and that includes taking responsibility for our own protection and defense. We prefer to not go to the grocery store, or call the plumber, carpenter, electrician, LP man… or the sheriff. Thanks, but no-thanks… we’ll take care of ourselves.

I'm a little surprised that this thread degraded as much as it did, but we have all kinds here. A firearm is a tool, and like any tool, it should be handled properly. A chainsaw can be extremely dangerous in the wrong hands, but most people can and do learn to use it properly. The same can be said for firearms. :

More people on this thread maybe?

I have C.L.E.E.T. training in firearms and have had my concealed carry license for 9 years now and have been around firearms since I was 5. When I carry I do not want anyone else to know that I have a weapon and I hope that noone else ever has to know. I have only had to draw a weapon 1 time in defense (I had just started as a prosecutor and was asked to join law enforcement on a drug search warrant and we were approached at a high rate of speed by a resident, in a vehicle on the sidewalk, who ignored multiple warnings by SWAT officers holding shotguns and AR 15s but as soon as they got in front of me to stop this person I re-holstered immediately).

I do not carry while cutting due to enough tools in my pockets and on my belt, but there is always a weapon in my pickup just a few feet away, sometimes a 22 rifle and sometimes a pistol of some sort. I have been chased by a rabid skunk and racoon while out knocking down trees in the past and did not like getting sprayed by the skunk while dispatching it with a log. That is why I have a firearm while cutting, not due to an irrational fear.

Now, we have the wild pigs around here that have attacked a 12 year old on his atv (it was winter time and luckily only tore his carharts before being shot by the kid's dad), so I always carry a pistol when on my 4 wheeler checking cows or fence due to these animals. I prefer a rifle, but it is very inconvenient and slow for me to get into use when needed in these situations.

All my neighbors, everyone in my neighborhood is armed. They don't flaunt it or display it, but they are. Riots and looting such as broke out in unarmed, peaceful England could never happen where I live, the folks would not dial 911, they would dial 9mm. Before it could get started, it would be ended. When out cutting or splitting wood on our farm, I carry .22 semi-auto with ratshot in it as a snake charmer. I have never had to carry anything more than that, thankfully. Not saying I wouldn't, just saying I have never had to.

I understand what you are saying, but no I don't carry a gun while cutting wood-I don't even own a gun. I've found that not too many people or animals unless they are wild or rabid tend to mess with a guy with a chainsaw! :biggrin:

Hehe. I must agree.
I am originally from Jersey, and my relationship with guns seems very different than most of the members here. Jersey has very strict gun laws. You don't want to have a gun on you if you get arrested in New Jersey, because you will automatically go to prison.
When I lived in Texas, it was quite a culture shock to see people with guns strapped to their hip constantly. I made a fast friend there who actually gave me a Ruger P85 as a gift. I felt pressured to take it at first, but gave it back to him after a day. (No, I didn't rob a liquor store with it before giving it back).
I got my first gun when I was 10, a Remington Nylon 66. My dad always had a assortment of pistols and rifles, including a S&W .44 magnum, .38 special, and a Beretta...so I grew up shooting and handling them. I just don't have a 'vulnerable' feeling walking around without one. On the contrary, actually, I feel much safer and comfortable by not owning or carrying guns.
Besides that, my dogs have very territorial and protective instincts.

Considering there's a hog problem up at our property I don't head into the woods without my Glock 23 on my side, thats only if I'm going cutting. If I'm hiking our fence line then usually sling my AR15 instead.

Latest posts

Back