Cell phone for the field

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreePointer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
My cell phone of the past 4 (?) years has finally failed and I need a new one. It's not a smartphone, but that was fine because I only use it to send/receive calls and a few texts. I'm okay with getting an updated version of a basic phone, but I have the opportunity to get a nice iPhone or Droid for under $100. My question is do any of you carry a smartphone during firewooding or other rough tasks (yard work, construction, auto mechanic, etc.), and have they held up?

I carry a Blackberry 8330 ( I know it's older tech but I like it and it suits me :msp_tongue:) as a building contractor and while I work outside which includes firewooding and haven't had any problems.

The best advice I can give is whatever you get, get an OtterBox for it.

I got one as soon as I got my phone 2 years ago and the phone looks brand new under the case. I've dropped it on concrete, exposed it to dust and no issues. They even replaced the holster at no charge when the spring got loose.

Last edited:
+1 on the OtterBox. I work outside with an iPhone4 wrapped up in an OtterBox and as previously stated....the phone looks brand new. While it does make the phone a tad more bulky, its gotta be worth it for the extra level of protection. Good Luck!

I work in the communications industry. We do Two-Way Radios, Wireless Long-Range Private Data, Back-Bone and Last-Mile, Security Systems, Wireless Remote Control Systems, etc., etc., etc. We are also a United States Cellular Agent…

This is just my take on things, but…
If you don’t need a “smart phone” I’d stay away from them. Smart phones aren’t near as robust as many of the others… they can’t be, simply because of what they are. They also require more power, partly because have a lot of things “running” in the background, which means you’ll need to charge it more often.
Of course if you just “want” one for the entertainment and “cool” factor… well, that’s a different thing all together. Personally, I don’t carry a “smart phone”, I’m not into “gadgetry” and such… I don’t even know how to send a text message and just recently learned how to read one (daughter showed me). I just want my phone to ring when someone calls, and I want theirs to ring when I call them… I “need” nothing more than that. If it wasn’t for the fact that I “need” to be accessible when out of the office on-the-road for work… I probably wouldn’t even have a cell phone.

Right now I carry a Motorola Quantico… built to Mil-Spec it’s tough, water resistant and has held up to some pretty hard use/abuse. It has more features than I “need” (they tell me it has a built-in camera [shrug])… but I like the “tough” part. I dropped it 50 feet off a tower one day (into the grass) and it never hiccuped, it’s been drenched in the rain more than once, sat on, stepped on, bounced off concrete, dropped in wet concrete, dropped in mud puddles, left outside in below zero temps, I even accidentally dropped it in my coffee cup once. It is just a bit bulkier than I like, but it has never failed to work. The new Mil-Spec phones coming out are thinner and I’ll probably switch to one of those soon.

I work in the communications industry. We do Two-Way Radios, Wireless Long-Range Private Data, Back-Bone and Last-Mile, Security Systems, Wireless Remote Control Systems, etc., etc., etc. We are also a United States Cellular Agent…

This is just my take on things, but…
If you don’t need a “smart phone” I’d stay away from them. Smart phones aren’t near as robust as many of the others… they can’t be, simply because of what they are. They also require more power, partly because have a lot of things “running” in the background, which means you’ll need to charge it more often.
Of course if you just “want” one for the entertainment and “cool” factor… well, that’s a different thing all together. Personally, I don’t carry a “smart phone”, I’m not into “gadgetry” and such… I don’t even know how to send a text message and just recently learned how to read one (daughter showed me). I just want my phone to ring when someone calls, and I want theirs to ring when I call them… I “need” nothing more than that. If it wasn’t for the fact that I “need” to be accessible when out of the office on-the-road for work… I probably wouldn’t even have a cell phone.

Right now I carry a Motorola Quantico… built to Mil-Spec it’s tough, water resistant and has held up to some pretty hard use/abuse. It has more features than I “need” (they tell me it has a built-in camera [shrug])… but I like the “tough” part. I dropped it 50 feet off a tower one day (into the grass) and it never hiccuped, it’s been drenched in the rain more than once, sat on, stepped on, bounced off concrete, dropped in wet concrete, dropped in mud puddles, left outside in below zero temps, I even accidentally dropped it in my coffee cup once. It is just a bit bulkier than I like, but it has never failed to work. The new Mil-Spec phones coming out are thinner and I’ll probably switch to one of those soon.

Hard to argue with your post,but......I've never had a standard cell phone last more than 2 years and my 1st iPhone was still going strong after 3. The Otterbox Defender is definitely a great protective case for the iPhone. When I go into the woods with it I also have a neoprene belt case that I carry it in that also keeps it dry and protected. I always carry it with the screen towards my body.

My boys love their I phones and their otterboxes, indestructible. My wife just got a samsung galaxy 2, I really like it, nice features, it was less than 50.00 has a ton of apps good battery life, cheaper data plan than the i phone. I don't carry one of the damn things.

Ive been carrying a droid X2 for about a year I guess. I work construction, so it gets dirty from time to time, no matter how clean ya try to keep it. I keep it on my side when Im cutting wood, or running a Dozer, or in a ditch. I got some screen protectors for it, which work real well. Also got a hard body case,,, and its been dropped several times and bounced off the road a time or 2 as well. I haven't had any problems with it yet. I also pay the couple extra bucks a month for insurance........:msp_unsure:

I carry a Motorola Droid 3 everywhere (field, forest, garage, church), and had an original Droid until last month. They seem to hold up well, and I figure I can carry my firearms or my torque wrench around without dropping them...why not a phone? Can't really answer that though as I drop mine plenty, but so far no problems. Biggest hassle is moisture...usually from me sweating...two new habits: 1) carry the phone with the screen out in my leg pocket (which means I have to be aware when jumping on/off equipment), and 2) just take it out sometimes (along with my keys and wallet) and stash it in the truck cupholder. Tried cases and holsters, and they gave me fits...have insurance.

now I digress...

I hate to say I'm dependent on my smarty-phone, but it sure is handy...makes me more efficient. Internet anywhere...like in the garage for how-to or parts (saved me when replacing the cabin air filter on the Subaru), voice search has replaced my phone book (except when it thinks "rural water district" means "royal waiter district"), GPS for getting to job sites, flashlight, unit conversion, a level, calculator, notepad, compass, camera (better than my old digital one...can even email or text job photos to clients who aren't on site!), internet for my laptop, credit card payments for clients, radio stations when out or range, email :msp_unsure: etc, etc, etc...I refuse to pay for apps, but it's still amazing what's out there.

cheers!

Add another hip hip horay for the otterbox. I have a iphone3gs as well as a Samsung Galaxy S, and both are wrapped in an Otterbox. To date both phones dont show a ding on them, and occasionally I take both out of the case to wipe them down. The Iphone is two years old, the Samsung is a year old, and I wouldnt dream of hauling either of them out into the woods, crawling in crawl spaces, etc without an Otterbox protecting the phone.

The Iphone sucks power, with occasional use it lasts three days before needing a charge, but if you play games on it a bit at break time or in the docs office expect to charge it up daily.

Evo 3D here. I too use the Otterbox Defender case that has saved my phone several times. I bought it at the same time I bought the 3D. I didn't want to take any chances. I also have the Defender for my IPOD Touch which I use when mowing in the Spring and Summer.

Didn't say what network you were on but all the cell companies make ruggedized mil spec phones. Can get the basic plain Jane models or ones like the Casio commando which is a mil spec smartphone. You can go on your carriers web site or store and check them out. Most of the Verizon/att stores will price match wally world on line prices, saves quite a bit on smartphones. I like to be able to check email, go online, send pics or videos when I'm out in the field. Can also look online, several good review sites.

Spending most of my day time behind a desk using email and phone as well as the computer, I don't use a cell phone much when I get away. I carry a Trac-Fone just in case I have a genuine emergency, other than that, I am incommunicado and like it like that.

Are all phone equal when it comes to recieving/sending in areas that have weak signal strength?

I frequent areas that have poor signal strength, and ever since switching to a newer phone (Motorola Tundra) I seem to have more problems with poor calls. (Had a non-flip Nokia - no camera, not internet capable)

I don't need a Smart phone, but I really would appreciate a phone that would work in marginal areas. (like my house)

Suggestions?

If the service matters, I have AT&T (yeah, I know :censored:) They're about the only game in town, but I'd switch when the contract runs out in 2012 if going to a different service would help with reception.

Are all phone equal when it comes to recieving/sending in areas that have weak signal strength?

I frequent areas that have poor signal strength, and ever since switching to a newer phone (Motorola Tundra) I seem to have more problems with poor calls. (Had a non-flip Nokia - no camera, not internet capable)

I don't need a Smart phone, but I really would appreciate a phone that would work in marginal areas. (like my house)

Suggestions?

If the service matters, I have AT&T (yeah, I know :censored:) They're about the only game in town, but I'd switch when the contract runs out in 2012 if going to a different service would help with reception.

Nope, cell phones are not equal in signal strength, although most companies claim they are all the same power of receiver and transmitter. But like radios, signal strength varies between manufacturers. I had an old Motorolla Razor that would get a signal where my Iphone is dead in the same area. Best thing you can do is do a google search on the models that you are considering, and go from there. Also, most retailers will allow you to return the phone and get a different model if the one you picked out is not working for you. Just make sure you keep it scratch free and like new condition.

Suggestions?

I think you'll find that the flip phones tend to have a better antenna. My brother kept having to borrow mine since his iphone wouldn't get a signal.

I hope you find something that works for you.

x10 on the otter box cases...no matter what phone you get. I have been carrying the evo shift for the last year. Landscaping, lawns and firewooding. It stays in my pocket unless I know Im gonna get soaked. I also conditioned myself to make sure the screen faces my leg once Im done with it....no idea if this makes it any safer for the phone but my screen is still intact.

My cell phone of the past 4 (?) years has finally failed and I need a new one. It's not a smartphone, but that was fine because I only use it to send/receive calls and a few texts. I'm okay with getting an updated version of a basic phone, but I have the opportunity to get a nice iPhone or Droid for under $100. My question is do any of you carry a smartphone during firewooding or other rough tasks (yard work, construction, auto mechanic, etc.), and have they held up?

Answer??? That's easy...

attachment.php

Because they're just plain awesome...
:big_smile:

i like the casio gzone phones and they now have a smartphone that looks pretty sweet.

my buddy has the smart phone version and loves it. I carry a Samsung commando mil spec flip, it works well. I have dropped it several times, got it wet and it still works great. I had a smart phone for a while but it was more trouble than it was worth. poor signal and battery only lasted 10 or. 12 hours, now i get a few days

Hard to argue with your post,but......I've never had a standard cell phone last more than 2 years and my 1st iPhone was still going strong after 3. The Otterbox Defender is definitely a great protective case for the iPhone. When I go into the woods with it I also have a neoprene belt case that I carry it in that also keeps it dry and protected. I always carry it with the screen towards my body.

Ditto...I have the first iphone....4GB.....and its still ticking.

Back