Phones?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I got the phone today and it looks to be pretty tough. It's got a little screw deal on the battery cover that keeps it air tight. The phone is supposed to be able to withstand being submerged in water. One review I read the guy said he dropped it in his pond and didn't find it until 14 hours later. Said it was still working just fine. I don't have many problems with water, I just hope it's crush proof. Still think I'll get one of the otterbox deals for it.

Nothing fancy, just voice and text. I can add web if I want but I never have time for stuff like that when I'm in the field. It does have a camera so I can get some shots from topside now. Just a plain jane phone which is all I wanted. I've got a GPS in the truck and a computer at the house. Best part is it was free.

Anyway, trying to figure the dam thing out. There is always a learning curve with a new phone. And I lost my address book so I'm gonna have to take it in and see if they can salvage that. I could probably do it myself if I could view the screen on my old phone.

So far, not bad.

Yeah, the phone I ordered is a Samsung as well. From the reviews I've been reading it sounds like a pretty tough phone. Sounds like most have been satisfied with the Rugby II. Looking forward to having a new toy to play with. I have had the same elcheapo version of the same phone for my last three phones. Hopefully this one will hold up.

Yea but I don't think your gonna find one tough enough to run through the chipper again lol!

After checking this phone out for a couple of days I have to give it very high marks. This phone is ideal for those who work in a rugged or outdoor environment. Very well made and rugged. The battery cover has a gasket to keep it water tight and a screw to keep the cover in place. The charging/data port has a plug to keep it water tight as well. It does have data capabilities and can be used to access the web or can be used to tether. I have been using it to access my email. Has camera and video capabilities as well.

This phone is ideal for outdoor enthusiasts and workers. Like I said earlier, it is built to military specs so it is very tough. For those who work outside in noisy environments it has a very loud ringer and speaker. It also has noise canceling features for the microphone so people can hear you over the noise on the other end. Very nice for those who have to communicate in a noisy environment.

I still plan to get an Otterbox for mine because, as I am sure is the same for all of you, I have to get into funny positions and sometimes have to swing around which can result in some hard knocks for a phone. If I worked in another trade I would have no problem carrying the phone on it's own without the protection of the Otterbox. The Rugby II is that tough.

Anyway, I thought some of you might be interested to know being that we all work in a tough environment.

I have a basic LG phone...it lives in the cellphone pocket inside the cargo pocket of my Arborwear tech pants...perfect spot for it.
My friends and family have learned to ask if I'm 'up a tree' when I answer!:)

I try to remind myself not to answer the phone unless I have close access to pen and paper. If I answer the phone in the tree, I am going likely to lose a contact or generally be misinformed because I wont have written anything down that we have talked about.

I really like it when they call and say:

"yes, we just saw you in our neighbors tree and got your number off the sign"... And I say "here I am in the top of the tree" and wave to them...

Motorola Droid here.

Tough as hell.I have even thrown it at a solid oak door in a fit of rage and it still works.That pissed me off even more so I went outside and threw it at the maple in the back yard.Damn thing still works! WTH?

I'll never buy another phone with a slide out keyboard again but that is personal preference.

What amazes me is 8 years ago I was fighting with a dial up modem at home.Lucky if I got online and if I did get online,I was praying I stayed online. Now I have a cell phone that has screaming fast internet and it's reliable as hell.Amazing how technology has advanced.

I had the Casio.Tough phone if you just need a phone.Extended life battery was great as was the charging dock.Sound quality was always crap though.

Last edited:
I have an older Razr. Its been through alot with me, at one point the screen went out for about a day when it was dropped. The rest of the phone was functional. A few of the things its been through with me is a prevented escape attempt when I went over the fence after a guy (I'm a corrections officer in a max security forensic mental health facility), I ended up with sand unded the screen with that one from fighting with the guy when we got him off the 2nd fence. Just 2 weeks ago, while restraining a guy, I ended up hitting an outside corned of a block wall hard enough that I took paint off of the wall. I had paint stripes from just above and to the right of my knee to the front of my hip (phone was in my pocket on the same side). Also ended up with a striped bruise from the front of my hip up to the backside of my armpit. So I've been impressed with it. Unfortunately the phone is also 4-5years old and being that old it doesn't pick me the signals from the newer towers and my reception has gone to crap.

However, I was eligible for a free upgrade from my provider and ordered an AT&T Rugby 2. Supposed to be built to Military specs.

I can't say for sure, but I'm thinking that ain't gonna help much when it goes through the chipper. :laugh:

Next time, do like Todd says - get a decent phone and buy the insurance. For most people, that insurance is pure ripoff. But it sounds to me like you will more than get your money's worth.

i kick my phone's ass as well larry. been through about 10 of them.

so far so good with the one i've got now. supposedly it is shockproof, dust proof, and water resistant (to a point, phone calls in the rain ok but not sending it swimming). it is relatively bombproof. had a couple drops so far with no issues.

from verizon. G'zOne. casio makes it.

it won't set the world on fire like the new ones but it does get on the internet and does all the texting and pic messages and videos.

i also bought the protective shell for it too so that is helping it from getting too beat up.

good luck looking for phones man.

Treat your cell phone like you would a woman... a woman you want to keep that is.

I have had the same phone for years and years. The only reason I got another was because my wife wanted to switch plans. I don't know, don't care, as long as I don't have to do anything and the number stays the same.
One thing that has helped with the longevity of my phone ( which is just a phone and nothing else if you can beleive that) is that I pretty much stay off the ####ing thing.

I like to tell my customers that I am talking to them HANGING IN A TREE that makes them get right to the point and I look like an EXPERT to the onlookers who see me let go with both hands ......

LG ux4750

Like one or two others on here, I use an OLD phone, one that I keep buying from ebay for about $10/each. It is only a phone, not even a camera. But I have dropped it out of the tree numerous times, most of the time I just put it back together like lego and it keeps going.

I keep mine in my shirt pocket, and also a piece of paper and a pen there to write down any info I may need to remember.

I keep one with me when I'm climbing, but don't often answer it. There have been jobs where due to road or machine noise the cell phone was my only link to the ground. Boss was too cheap to spring for a couple of radios.:(

I've also climbed alone on a job a few times and make sure I have my phone with me when I do that.

I'm on my third year with the G'z One from Verizon. It is beat up awful, but keeps working. Battery life has dropped way off the last four months. It has been dunked in water a dozen times at least, dropped 80' out of a tree, dropped off a few roofs, run over buy a John Deere Gator on gravel and a few other things I'm forgetting at the moment.:rock:

Mr. HE:cool:

Latest posts

Back