Phones?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Man. I am hard as heck on my cell phones. After my little incident last week I can no longer see the screen on my phone. I must have landed on it when I hit the ground. I have been through three phones in two years. In the past 10-12 years I have had 2 phones snatched off of my belt loop and drug through the chipper. I waste phones.

I would love to have one of the cool Iphones or Blackberry or something like that but I know better than to even buy one. I have to take care of a lot of business when I'm in the tree so leaving my phone on the ground is not an option. I usually buy the cheapest phone my provider offers so I'm not throwing several hundreds of dollars out when I tear one up.

However, I was eligible for a free upgrade from my provider and ordered an AT&T Rugby 2. Supposed to be built to Military specs. They claim it is the toughest phone out there... We'll see. Not a lot of features but I don't ride around surfing the web and checking email all day. I just need something to talk with and text. It will be nice to have a camera phone again though, I must admit.

Anyway, What are you using and how is it working out for ya? Where do you carry yours when in the tree. I been carrying mine in my ditty bag on my saddle but that is not working out so well. Would be open to suggestions on where to carry a phone without destroying it.

i kick my phone's ass as well larry. been through about 10 of them.

so far so good with the one i've got now. supposedly it is shockproof, dust proof, and water resistant (to a point, phone calls in the rain ok but not sending it swimming). it is relatively bombproof. had a couple drops so far with no issues.

from verizon. G'zOne. casio makes it.

it won't set the world on fire like the new ones but it does get on the internet and does all the texting and pic messages and videos.

i also bought the protective shell for it too so that is helping it from getting too beat up.

good luck looking for phones man.

I just pay the $6.oo/mth for the insurance. If I take them 1 at a time they'll replace at the verizon store. If too many they'll make you mail them in to the insurance people.

I have a Samsung G-force? or something like that. I'm not climbing much anymore, but I still have a little bit of a temper and the phone has so far held up to several "tension relief" throws. When I do or have climbed, I always keep it in my pants side cargo pockets. I alway carry a phone up in a tree because often times I'm climbing alone and it's my only source of help if something goes wrong.

As I said the phone I have is holding up well, however it's not waterproof or water resistant. I also have it in a case. Good luck.

Yeah, the phone I ordered is a Samsung as well. From the reviews I've been reading it sounds like a pretty tough phone. Sounds like most have been satisfied with the Rugby II. Looking forward to having a new toy to play with. I have had the same elcheapo version of the same phone for my last three phones. Hopefully this one will hold up.

This is why I leave my phone in the truck when I'm working. It's a distraction, odds are I will destroy it, and honestly, what am I going to be able to accomplish from 60' up anyway.. if I even manage to hear it ring that is.

I'm on my third I530.

Just a basic phone, but I have run over two of 'em with the Tractor and they keep going.

The first bit it when it got run under the rotovator. 85hp tractor spinning a tiller will eat chains. It never had a chance.

The second died when it was dropped and I was walking, and kicked it into a porch step busting the screen a bit. Still worked, just couldn't read half the screen.

Best part is the price. 10-20 bucks used and in good shape.LOL!!
Sim card swap and GO!

Best of luck with the new ones!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

This is why I leave my phone in the truck when I'm working. It's a distraction, odds are I will destroy it, and honestly, what am I going to be able to accomplish from 60' up anyway.. if I even manage to hear it ring that is.

Well, if you ever have to direct a log truck to your location or handle any kind of logistics like that you will be having to come down out of the tree to handle it. I've got too much going on most of the time to leave my phone on the ground. It's just not an option for me.

I got a Blackberry. The first 2 only lasted a few months but on the third one I got a Otterbox for it and no troubles since then. Of course now that I said that you know tomorrow its gonna happen.

I'm on my third I530.

Just a basic phone, but I have run over two of 'em with the Tractor and they keep going.

The first bit it when it got run under the rotovator. 85hp tractor spinning a tiller will eat chains. It never had a chance.

The second died when it was dropped and I was walking, and kicked it into a porch step busting the screen a bit. Still worked, just couldn't read half the screen.

Best part is the price. 10-20 bucks used and in good shape.LOL!!
Sim card swap and GO!

Best of luck with the new ones!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

My last three have been the cheapest basic phone that Nokia makes. I think they are 30-40 bucks. I call them throw away phones. LOL, I was just looking at mine to see if I could find the model number on it; man, that thing is grubby! I need to start washing the dirt and oil off of my phone! :D

The old nokia 5210's came with an armband that the newer 5140's fit in. Mine stays on my arm all day. You can feel it vibrate and even hear it above chippers etc because its not that far from your head, and being up on your bicep it doesnt get knocked or crushed much and its fallen out of its holder ONCE.

NO,NO,NO,NO! All those blackberrys, i phone's, droids bla bla bla!, SONIM XP3 TACTICAL, it is badars, Check out the youtube videos, I have it, it is awesome, plot grids, trail check points, under water to 100', can receive emergency signal anywhere in the world, including if your a swamp logger and yur under water, you can send a text! called the indestructible phone, very heavy duty with all the bells and whistles the others have and you can run it over with a tank.Built in GPS (real GPS) with terrain and elevation mapping ability's...................and it is yellow and black like the old nextels! retail about 350

real men need real phones!

I have had 3 of those g zone phones have to say they held up well. Two i had to replace because i plugged them in at night and woke up to the screen not working but other wise have dropped them out of trees and roofs a few times and it stays in my pocket during rainstorms.

I am on my number 11 phone, and it's an iphone. Have it wrapped w/ an Otter Box, and it works real well. Jumped into the lake last week and it survived the plunge. I have dropped it many times. If any of you have this phone, it needs to be in an Otter Box !!

I got a Blackberry. The first 2 only lasted a few months but on the third one I got a Otterbox for it and no troubles since then. Of course now that I said that you know tomorrow its gonna happen.

I was looking at the Otterbox, have not bought one though. I don't take my Blackberry up trees. I will keep on hip at times when working on ground, but most of the time it sits on truck seat. Voice mail is made for something.

I've been very happy with my CrackBerry Tour for the past year or more. I wear it on my hip when pricing or traveling, but place it on the dash when running saws or climbing. I keep a bluetooth with me to use if I need to communicate from up in the tree or while away from the phone. The bluetooth devices are much more durable!

Let's face it... we have to turn off saws and chippers to talk on the phone, so why carry the distraction!

I got a Blackberry and its got 2 way , its great I have the internet GPS email all in one tiny little phone , I have been carrying it since christmas and its still ticking , granted I leave it on the ground or on the visor of the truck but it suits my needs ..I can even visit AS in a tree if I wanna ...

I got a Blackberry and its got 2 way , its great I have the internet GPS email all in one tiny little phone , I have been carrying it since christmas and its still ticking , granted I leave it on the ground or on the visor of the truck but it suits my needs ..I can even visit AS in a tree if I wanna ...

I've got the motorola droid. It supposedly had the best gps at the time. that thing will take you right to the front doorstep. I post here with it quite a bit actually. Neat toys they have these days..

Latest posts

Back