Phones?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep one with me when I'm climbing, but don't often answer it. There have been jobs where due to road or machine noise the cell phone was my only link to the ground. Boss was too cheap to spring for a couple of radios.:(

I've also climbed alone on a job a few times and make sure I have my phone with me when I do that.

I'm on my third year with the G'z One from Verizon. It is beat up awful, but keeps working. Battery life has dropped way off the last four months. It has been dunked in water a dozen times at least, dropped 80' out of a tree, dropped off a few roofs, run over buy a John Deere Gator on gravel and a few other things I'm forgetting at the moment.:rock:

Mr. HE:cool:

This phone is push to talk capable. I think all of my guy's phones are too. I might look into paying for the service for us. I never have personally paid for that service but two of the bigger outfits I worked for used nextell and our cell phones where 2 ways as well as cell phones. Was really convenient for situational awareness and keeping everyone on the same page. Of course only the climbers and foremen had them, as well as the owners and managers but it was still very handy for communicating with one another. Our own personal little radio network. I only run a four man crew anymore though, sometimes 5 on a big job. I've got 4 Motorola radios that we use when it's hard to hear one another. I'll prolly just stick with that.

This phone is push to talk capable. I think all of my guy's phones are too. I might look into paying for the service for us. I never have personally paid for that service but two of the bigger outfits I worked for used nextell and our cell phones where 2 ways as well as cell phones. Was really convenient for situational awareness and keeping everyone on the same page. Of course only the climbers and foremen had them, as well as the owners and managers but it was still very handy for communicating with one another. Our own personal little radio network. I only run a four man crew anymore though, sometimes 5 on a big job. I've got 4 Motorola radios that we use when it's hard to hear one another. I'll prolly just stick with that.

We got the push to talk with our phones a year or so ago when we got our first plan. We used it for about a month but the novelty soon wore off and we went back to just texting or calling. Mostly text unless a lot needs to be said. The PTT is a neat concept but it's far easier to just call.

Hey, you never know when a tree is gonna fall, and you need to make a call! ( that rhymes!)
Jeff :)

When I owned my own company we used the PTT phones from Verizon and at first they were fine. I could talk to my dad on the east coast like he was next door. Then the system got crowded and you would have to try 3-4 times to get connected. It was a pain. Nextel was having the same problem in my area so there was no advantage to switching to them.

We ended up dropping the service and getting a Motorola two-way radio system that covered about 90% of our area. It worked radio to radio outside of our home system.

I've since heard that Verizon rolled out a whole new system for the PTT and it works really well. But that was after I shut down my own company and so I never really looked into it.

When I'm climbing I really like having a VOX headset on my helmet that lets me talk to the ground crew. If you have a little practice with radio communication it lets us work very efficiently.

Mr. HE:cool:

Haven't carried a phone in a tree since the time it rang/vibrated and caused me to about fall out of the tree thinking i was getting tingled from a power line.

This made me giggle and remember the time I was at full draw on a doe and my phone vibrated against my chest. Needless to say I piddled in my pants a little while almost falling out of the tree.:cheers:

Back in the beeper days I put my beeper on vibrate and threw it in the bed with my ex then dialed it early in the morning before I went to work. She about had a heart attack... If I remember correctly, she repaid me by leaving the plastic on the cheese that she put on my sandwich for lunch...

I received the Otterbox case in the mail today. Very will made and SOLID! I checked it out and I can hear my phone ring through the case which was a concern of mine. The 1000 model is just the perfect size for my phone. With the phone I have it would probably be overkill to carry it for normal day to day activities. I plan to leave in in my ditty bag on my work saddle. The ditty bag hangs on my side but sometimes gets caught underneath me when I have to negotiate a crotch in a tree and I end up setting on it. The otterbox should be more than adequate to keep me from crushing my phone. Other than that I will probably only use it for boating and fishing. The drybox is waterproof to 100'. Comes with a nice lanyard and has belt loops to wear it on a belt if you like. All in all a nice, tough phone case and well worth the $13.50 I paid for it.

LOL, my phone looks like it is in a suit of armor now but after having to use cheap phones with no camera for the past two years I want to make sure I don't destroy this one.

OK, my age is showing, here, but----I can't believe you guys who use your phones in the trees. Truth is, I can't believe all these kids I see walking down the street talking away, driving by me, talking away---etc., etc. When I'm in the tree, I'm working on the tree! Radical concept, right? If I want to hustle business off the phone, I'll get down from the tree and hustle from my office or in my truck, when I'm safely on the side of the road. Truth is, if I hired someone to do my trees and saw him/her on their phone while they were aloft, I'd let them know that I no longer needed their service, plain and simple. Sure, you're a multi-tasker, I know, I know. Seems this line may be showing up on lots of tombstones in the next few years: "He/She was a multi-tasker. Now he/she isn't doing much of anything. RIP."

LOL, yes your age is showing.

I'd venture to say that I get more work done in my trees faster than you while taking my calls. To tell the truth, I don't think you'd even take on half the trees that I do. And if someone tried to fire me from my job because I was conducting my legitimate business while doing my job I'd sue them for a breach of contract. So far I have not had anyone with enough balls to try to tell me how to conduct my business. Usually they are mostly thankful that I am removing the hazard or eyesore without damaging their property.

If you are doing so little business that you have the time to just concentrate on the tree at hand then don't blame me or try to tell me how to conduct my business. I have been at this game a long time, more than likely longer than you, so you can keep your smart ass comments to yourself.

I spent 10 hours in spikes in this tree one day and 7 the next in the past two weeks. Sorry but I'm not doing little nip jobs. When I am spending that kind of hang time in a tree I often need to talk and conduct my phone business:

08212010.jpg

08212010_001.jpg

get him!

the only reason i bring my phone up is to take pics. maybe fire off a text or 2 to some of the boys. other than that not calling anyone. save that for lunch or coffee break.

running a business though. feel free.

Well to tell the truth, I hate to be bothered by my phone when I'm working. Anyone who knows me knows that. They can tell when they call if I am in a tree because they say I am often short with them. Unfortunately I don't have a secretary and have to answer my own phone. In this economy I can't afford to miss a job call. And back when I was swamped I couldn't afford to leave my phone on the ground either. At one point I was climbing, running three crews and answering my own business line so yeah, I am definitely a multi-tasker.

I'd like to see that joker walk a day in my shoes.

Last edited:
Back