Central Va./Dinosaur50 GTG 2012

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really cool there Dean! Sounds like the timing is a bit off, missing or something. Is that the way it is supposed to sound?

Hi Carl,
From the sounds of it, there could be a full range of issues with it! It seems though that these alternate-firing 2cyl./2 stroke machines just run rough like that UNTIL you put a load on 'em. All the Mercs I've seen run similarly, especially the DA-211s. I could retard the timing some and smooth it out, but the power would also be retarded. Retarded timing plus retarded power and toss in a retarded operator and the wood will be free of worries.
I could be wrong on this saw as yesterday is the first time I've ever been around one running,
(a SuperTwin). I'm gonna fiddle with it a lot more but I'm always happy to try ideas of others.
By the way, there's a major GTG being planned for a few miles south of Richmond for March 31.
We're expecting you and Ginger to be there and at Halifax Heritage Fest. (first Sat. in May)
Igpoe

new vid 2

H carb 2 man Merc - YouTube
One of my DA-211s has an interesting feature: an "H" carb, a very early diaphragm carb. Runs the same to me as float carb,but a little different when it takes the load. Should this be one I haul to the GTG? Some of you have seen it but didn't know about the carb. Sounds rough in this vid, but it smooths out in the cut.
Igpoe:cheers:

Hi Carl,
From the sounds of it, there could be a full range of issues with it! It seems though that these alternate-firing 2cyl./2 stroke machines just run rough like that UNTIL you put a load on 'em. All the Mercs I've seen run similarly, especially the DA-211s. I could retard the timing some and smooth it out, but the power would also be retarded. Retarded timing plus retarded power and toss in a retarded operator and the wood will be free of worries.
I could be wrong on this saw as yesterday is the first time I've ever been around one running,
(a SuperTwin). I'm gonna fiddle with it a lot more but I'm always happy to try ideas of others.
By the way, there's a major GTG being planned for a few miles south of Richmond for March 31.
We're expecting you and Ginger to be there and at Halifax Heritage Fest. (first Sat. in May)
Igpoe

We'll keep in touch as time get closer. Lots of travel on our plates right now but would love to see you folks here or there. Say - do you own a cobra now? Referring to your Avatar...

We'll keep in touch as time get closer. Lots of travel on our plates right now but would love to see you folks here or there. Say - do you own a cobra now? Referring to your Avatar...

Had one, spf606, sold it to a classmate in 2008
:cheers:

also so the lumberjacks and jills will be doing bow saw 2

also so the lumberjacks and jills will be doing bow saw 2

hey this is david i am partisipating in the central va. gtg .the site will be held in chesterfield va. 5 min from chesterfield courthouse i mainly collect sandcast poulans .... the gtg will have a lot of space and parking.. i am new to this site and look forward to meeting new collectors

hey this is david i am partisipating in the central va. gtg .the site will be held in chesterfield va. 5 min from chesterfield courthouse i mainly collect sandcast poulans .... the gtg will have a lot of space and parking.. i am new to this site and look forward to meeting new collectors

Gentilmen:
This fella: sawmandave, has the most extensive and nicest collection of original sand-cast Poulans of any body I know (they all run and cut). He's been collecting for about 15 years and had CAD before most of us knew what it was! He has piles of other saws also, and I do mean piles. He's gonna help us quite a bit with the GTG. Please make him welcome to the forum and understand he has just aquired a PC yesterday for the first time!
Come on in Dave and be aware that no falsehood has ever been printed in these pages and NO we cannot use you in the wet-"T" contest at the GTG!
Igpoe:givebeer:

welcome sawmandave nice 2 see you on here

welcome sawmandave nice 2 see you on here and Igpoe is so right about sawmandave, has the most extensive and nicest collection of original sand-cast Poulans of any body I know (they all run and cut). He's been collecting for about 15 years and had CAD before most of us knew what it was! He has piles of other saws also, and I do mean piles

my first saw came from an old dump site on a logging job in northern va. it was a model-47 mac with ants crawling out of it ...thought i could get it running. cad started from there.. boy was i in trouble

Last edited:
new vid 3

If y'all get tired of these vids lemmeknow. Fat Canadian saw - YouTube
This is a saw that I got in the mail today. It hits harder than any I own. But then it's a mere
290 CCs. This one will definately cause me to seek volunteers at the GTG; it's about 150 lbs.

more new saws at gtg

I will bring a wwII mercury 2-man saw kb-6A 1942 dated almost new conditon in original coffin box complete with tool box,extra chains and alot of that nasty cosmoline grease haha.. made only 1 cut with her.. I guess we will all see holds up :msp_thumbsup:

I have requested the days off and hopefully everything will work out, still a little to far out to make a commitment yet.

Johnny, I'm very glad you're gonna try and make it..............it's your kind of gig.

Rudedog, the same goes for you. I don't know you yet, but you're a chainsaw kinda guy......all I need to know.

more new saws at gtg

more new saws at gtg mall 7 that is been restored for me buy David harsh aka sawmandave a disston DA 211 and many more of mying that not been showed off yet and running but will be running im not let any one touch these 2 outer then my self and David harsh or dean we are the only 3 who could run them at gtg my other saws others can run

more new saws at gtg mall 7 that is been restored for me buy David harsh aka sawmandave a disston DA 211 and many more of mying that not been showed off yet and running but will be running im not let any one touch these 2 outer then my self and David harsh or dean we are the only 3 who could run them at gtg my other saws others can run

Are you gonna take your saws over in the corner and hide, Michael? That will be fine as there will be other DA-211s, other Mall 7s, numerous other 2-mans that you won't be able to run because you'll be too busy protecting your saws. Michael, this is going to be a Get To Gether, not a Get Apart. I'm surprised at you.
dean:cheers:

no others can run them as

no others can run them as long as me dean or David on the engine end that all i ask i don't want my 2 best 2 mans getting missed up

Back