Ceramic blanket and chimney sweeping?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tla100

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well, I had a blasted starling get into the chimney over the summer. Got into the stove and made a mess of the ceramic blanket that is right under the outlet of stove. Do I need a replacement? Will it hurt efficiency, or is some EPA crap? I did find a part number and will ask local hardware store chain I bought stove from if they can get it. It is a Heatilator WS-22. Or should I buy a small roll and make my own when needed.

Next, I need to get chimney cleaned, I bought a 6" wire brush but don't have the fiberglass rods. I do have some high density plastic rods, 36" long with threaded male and female ends, I use to clean dryer vents with a small 4" plastic brush attached. I made a coupler to fit my rods and tried with drill but twisted rods up. Will it clean alright if just pull wire brush thru? It is 1 year old stainless 6", about 28' from top to Tee where it enters basement.

My house is a 1 1/2 story farm house with pretty steep pitch. Not so excited to do this but I did install chimney myself. I need to put some wire mesh on rain cap also, what you guys recommend?

I adapted my brush to 1/2" PVC pipe, it works OK. Don't throw it down on the lawn when done...don't ask
Get a roll of that blanket on Fleabay, make your own.
Don't go too small on the screen, it will plug up. 1/2" min, 3/4" is better

I was shocked at the price of a single piece of ceramic wool so I bought a roll instead. Now I have enough of it for several lifetimes for the price of two little sheets.

If you cook in your wood stove (I make pizza in a cast iron skillet set on the bed of coals) the ceramic wool makes great potholders and trivets!

I was shocked at the price of a single piece of ceramic wool so I bought a roll instead. Now I have enough of it for several lifetimes for the price of two little sheets.

If you cook in your wood stove (I make pizza in a cast iron skillet set on the bed of coals) the ceramic wool makes great potholders and trivets!

Also gives miserable slivers.

Mr. HE:cool:

Yes, I should have mentioned that gloves are a good idea. I started using the ceramic wool because the pan hot from the stove burned me right through my welding gloves. Now I use both.

Ow! and Ow again.

I use a lot of it when welding to control cooling, protect parts from spatter and heat, etc. It is useful stuff and amazing what it can do.

Mr. HE:cool:

Latest posts

Back