Chain brake position for chainsaw storage ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard the loosen the chain thing before. The theory is that if you tighten it while it's hot while cutting and leave it tight when it cools, it will contract and put too much pressure on the bar and bearing. I don't do it. I figure if you cut with about 1/8 to 1/4 inch slack when you pull up on the middle of the chain, it should be OK. I could see it with a new chain that has just stretched a lot, but I would think that once it has stretched, it's not going back to its original length.

I don't loosen the chain, but I do loosen the two bar nuts a tad away from tight before storing. Maybe that's unnecessary as well?

I’m not being a smart arse, . . .Why do you loosen the bar nuts?

It's just one of those Internet rumors, started by some silly engineers who work for an old company near Stuttgart. They print it, just for fun, in their wacky user manuals:
Screen shot 2019-12-27 at 11.45.43 AM.png Screen shot 2019-12-27 at 11.46.01 AM.png Screen shot 2019-12-27 at 11.46.43 AM.png

Philbert

Well, it fell off the fridge due to the tremor and the start handle got caught in the fridge handle and drop started the Magnum.
So the 088 Mag was hanging there flopping around like a live catfish in a hot frying pan and rocked out the chain and ruined the finish on the icebox.
gettin an early start today eh? lol!

It's just one of those Internet rumors, started by some silly engineers who work for an old company near Stuttgart. They print it, just for fun, in their wacky user manuals:
View attachment 783141 View attachment 783142 View attachment 783143

Philbert
I wonder if they kept tightening the chain up till they created failure? Then posted it as fact. We were just a little 2-3 crew company. Ran 2 crews year round and added one in the busy season. We never had a bearing failure in any brand saw we used. Seals, air leaks, but never a bearing. Just think of all the big companies like Asplundh and Davey, they would be paying out millions in over time for some flunky to stay late to loosen, then come in early to tighten. Then, because he was just some flunky, he probably over tightened them in the morning.

Do you have a date on the the manual that came from. Just curious how many years we were doing it the wrong way.

You know what you did? Now I'm going to lock myself in my shop and start reading old Homelite, Mac, Poulan, and Echo manuals and see if I can find it. I didn't start buying Stihls till after Dad retired. When Dad passed mom found a file cabinet half full of all the old manuals, sale receipts and such from all of his equipment. When I retired I threw all that stuff away.

I bought a new MS 261 CM two weeks ago and it says the same thing on page 41. I also was reading the English version of the new MS 500i owners manual and it states the same thing. The first thing I thought was I've been doing it wrong all these years. First time I had seen it.

Do you have a date on the the manual that came from. Just curious how many years we were doing it the wrong way.

I pulled up copies of several STIHL manuals, from the 025 to the MS242, and found similar language in all of them. So not something new.

Some of it might have to do with how hot the user's chain gets, and how tight they tension it? Not sure if this is precautionary, or if they have a documented rate of service failures.

I generally pull the clutch cover off, remove the bar to clean, flip the bar, etc., after each use, so not a big deal or extra work. Some guys file their chains at the end of the day so that they are ready for use; that often involves adjusting tension too.

Philbert

Well, it fell off the fridge due to the tremor and the start handle got caught in the fridge handle and drop started the Magnum.
So the 088 Mag was hanging there flopping around like a live catfish in a hot frying pan and rocked out the chain and ruined the finish on the icebox.

I could not help but have a good laugh at this one, though I’m sure you were not laughing at the time! Thats crazy stuff right there. What a wake up, first an earthquake which I’m quite familiar with in AK, then a chainsaw self starting and tearing up the kitchen!

I could not help but have a good laugh at this one, though I’m sure you were not laughing at the time! Thats crazy stuff right there. What a wake up, first an earthquake which I’m quite familiar with in AK, then a chainsaw self starting and tearing up the kitchen!
I may be wrong, but I think he’s joking.

I pulled up copies of several STIHL manuals, from the 025 to the MS242, and found similar language in all of them. So not something new.

Some of it might have to do with how hot the user's chain gets, and how tight they tension it? Not sure if this is precautionary, or if they have a documented rate of service failures.

I generally pull the clutch cover off, remove the bar to clean, flip the bar, etc., after each use, so not a big deal or extra work. Some guys file their chains at the end of the day so that they are ready for use; that often involves adjusting tension too.

Philbert
Dads procedure was if you dulled your saw you put it in his PU and he would touch them up every night. Every Christmas Eve he would scoop up about a coffee can full of filings and throw little scoops in the fireplace for a fireworks show. I'm sure if they were loose he would adjust them accordingly. If I do go back and read the old Mac and Homelite manuals it won't take long, they were only 3-4 pages, magazine size. I don't think I've ever read one of my Stihl manuals, seems like they are about the size of a cell phone and as thick as a phone book (remember them). Maybe that's why Dad's manuals wound up in a file cabinet and mine wound up in a round file.

I'd bet they had a lot of failures. I have friends and have met a lot of home owners that would have a bar smoking they were so tight. Right here on AS I've read, I don't know how many one saw owners, that have said they go through several bars a year. My retired dealer friend said so many people came in with dull saws saying they needed a new bar because the saw was cutting in a big arc, that he quit arguing with them and sold them a new bar chain combo. A lot of those bars were probably toasted from being too tight. My memory of saws goes back into the 50's with Mac's, Disston's, Mall's. Then when Dad went into business he had all Homelites till Echo came on the scene and he had 4-5 of them. In all of those years we never had a bearing failure. I'm guessing it's another case of a big company covering their butt, burdening the many, compensating for the few.

If I do go back and read the old Mac and Homelite manuals it won't take long, they were only 3-4 pages, magazine size.
I will save you some trouble. An example of an Olympk manual is attached (PDF) before the lawyers got involved.

I . . . I don't know how many one saw owners, that have said they go through several bars a year. My retired dealer friend said so many people came in with dull saws saying they needed a new bar because the saw was cutting in a big arc, . . .

Some lack of basic knowledge. Bars also used to get refurbished more 'back in the day', because labor was cheap and materials were expensive. I also see inexpensive saws (Poulan, electrics, etc.) at garage sales, basically, because they need a new bar or chain.

Philbert

Attachments

• OLYMPYK 251-252-254_5 Manual.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 3
Cannot stand putting my saws away dirty, or dull. I do the same.

Latest posts

Back