Chain Brakes and safety

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randydb

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So a friend had a kickback this weekend with a saw that has a brake on it. Experienced tough fellow who knows his way around equipment. He said he never had one like this before..all the ones before were just little bumps. He described this one as violent. Knocked his front hand off the handle and into the brake and the bar/chain hit his shoulder. He said if he didn't have a brake his hand would have gone into the chain and then it would have sliced his shoulder. He thinks it's crazy to run a chainsaw without a brake now.

To add to the pile I had my first violent kickback with a chopsaw a couple weeks ago. I was hanging on tight and it knocked my hand off the handle and the chopsaw jumped up onto two legs and almost fell over. Startled me. I was shocked. I'm 52 and this was by far the works kickback I have seen on a chop saw.

I have an old L65 with no brake...and this has me thinking now.

So what do you think about chain brakes and safety? Stupid to run a saw without one? I don't tend to worry about myself, but I would have a hard time forgiving myself if something happened to my son or nephew.

Randy

There are other more important safety precautions that need addressed when kick backs become an issue.
Do you mean in how you are cutting, or safety gear or? Thing is, it just takes one mistake and that saw is on you...brake can be that last safety item?

Do you mean in how you are cutting, or safety gear or? Thing is, it just takes one mistake and that saw is on you...brake can be that last safety item?

Following basic cutting safety procedures. Never bury the bar in wood that exceeds the length of the bar. Always be aware of where the exposed bar tip will travel throughout the entire cut. Do not cut stacked wood because the tip will always touch other logs causing it to jump on you and when you aren't paying attention is when it jumps the hardest.
I came way too close to ripping myself while tuning a saw on a stump. The bar tip ended up working it's way around to a log sitting close by and the tip caught it. I was leaning over it with one hand on the throttle and the other on a screwdriver. It was unnerving enough to call it a day.
If you never let yourself lose concentration, and always follow the proper procedures then kickbacks will likely never happen.

As a collector of chainsaws I own waaaay more saws that do not have chain brakes than those that do. I like them and enjoy operating them in certain situations. Work is done with saws that have chain brakes and some sort of anti-vibe.

I no longer encourage people to use saws that lack those features.

If you can get a saw with a chain brake and anti-vibe , do it.

Feeling too safe can cause accidents... as can the lack of safety precautions.

For branching and other fast-paced work, at times with limited visibility, I always use a saw with chain brake.

I've had one kickback episode with a Stihl 021 where the chain brake was not activated for some reason - luckily did not hit my leg but a log in front of it. So, even if you have the luxury of a chain brake, don't trust it

I work as a full time arborist, I do not own a brakeless saw and neither would I use one. If one of the saws at work has a malfunctioning brake it gets tagged and removed from service till fixed. If I were a collector or a homeowner it might be a different story but in this industry its a bare minimum requirement. I've seen too many YouTube vids and heard too many stories...

... Never bury the bar in wood that exceeds the length of the bar...
...If you never let yourself lose concentration, and always follow the proper procedures then kickbacks will likely never happen...
All true!

Although:
Not burrying the bar can not truly always be followed unless one leaves the work at hand still standing until a bigger bar & chain setup , possibly a larger saw altogether is bought o borrowed.

Always be alert and focused also doesn't truly work in real life - throughout a work day one inevitably loses focus.

There is no such thing as "never" and "100%" when it comes to safety over danger - unfortunately!

I will second the notion about the danger of cutting with the bar buried...I have experienced some rattling kickbacks with a bar buried, especially near the bottom of the cut. Always make sure you have good control of the saw when cutting this way...sometimes it has to be done. When you get low on a cut, it is best to kneel down on one knee.

Always be alert and focused also doesn't truly work in real life - throughout a work day one inevitably loses focus.

There is no such thing as "never" and "100%" when it comes to safety over danger - unfortunately!

If one cannot stay alert and focused while operating a saw then that person shouldn't run one.

If one cannot stay alert and focused while operating a saw then that person shouldn't run one.

This is very true.. BUT, we are all imperfect human beings who are all subject to many things that can contribute to making a person "less safe" when running a saw or any other power equipment, heavy equipment, etc etc.. Just being a little fatigued as the work day wears on, a little mentally distracted by problems at home, less than ideal/complicated working environment, and the list goes on. Obviously, the best safety equipment is our brains, common sense, and good working habits. But when these things are inevitably compromised (and at some point this happens to each and every one of us no matter who you are) safety equipment is there as a safety net.. chaps, hard hat, eye protection, ear protection, chain brakes, etc... These things are there to decrease the odds and/or severity of an accident.

Now would I use a saw with no chainbrake?? Sure, but only in certain situations where the type of work being done carries the least likelihood of an incident. And of course the PPE would be used as it always is.

There used to be some old Homelites at my work that had no chainbrakes. These saws sat on the shelf for years as we were not permitted to use them on the job as saws with brakes became available and were purchased for our use.

If you never let yourself lose concentration, and always follow the proper procedures then kickbacks will likely never happen.
A tall order! Crap happens and it only takes a second for something to distract you or to go wrong. I know those moments where you just do something quick or not quite perfect. I also know myself and I have a lot more experience than my teenaged son and nephew. There is still "likely" as we all know that weird things happen sometimes. I didn't think I did anything wrong with the chop saw and it kicked and scared me good.

I'm always reluctant to spend money when I have something that serves the purpose already...but I know my son and nephew will be the operators a lot more often in the next few years.

Kickback insurance:
1. No "monkey-grip"- always wrap left thumb around handle, opposite fingers, to hold onto handle.
2. Keep left elbow locked straight.
3. Keep all body parts out of the plane of the chain- stay able to read bar.
4. Watch all the bar, esp the tip.
5. Keep chain sharp, and properly adjusted.
6. Keep feet spread.
7. Leave room behind saw, in case of linear kickback.
8. Keep multiple wedges handy, and use them, to prevent pinching.

There surely are others.

Not believing in panaceas or absolute guarantees of safety, I use all available measures, and assume nothing.

The more I think about it and the more I think about the young ones who are taking on the firewood and upkeep responsibilities at our cabin the more I realize it's a no brainer. I would be devastated if something happened to one of them because I was just being cheap.
I'm going to find a saw with a brake.
Randy

A tall order! Crap happens and it only takes a second for something to distract you or to go wrong. I know those moments where you just do something quick or not quite perfect. I also know myself and I have a lot more experience than my teenaged son and nephew. There is still "likely" as we all know that weird things happen sometimes. I didn't think I did anything wrong with the chop saw and it kicked and scared me good.

I'm always reluctant to spend money when I have something that serves the purpose already...but I know my son and nephew will be the operators a lot more often in the next few years.

LOL.....as if I advocate using a saw with no brake. I said no such thing.
I advocate safety and 100% awareness so you are not putting yourself in a situation where you will need a brake to save your life.

LOL.....as if I advocate using a saw with no brake. I said no such thing.
I advocate safety and 100% awareness so you are not putting yourself in a situation where you will need a brake to save your life.
I know you weren't. That line of yours I quoted is pretty impossible for anyone to live up to and made me realize that at some point we all are going to make a mistake and a chain brake is going to be limb or life saver then. I appreciated your comment.

I know you weren't. That line of yours I quoted is pretty impossible for anyone to live up to and made me realize that at some point we all are going to make a mistake and a chain brake is going to be limb or life saver then. I appreciated your comment.

I just don't get it I guess. I know there are people out there that cannot stay focused no matter what they try.....specially youngsters. That's why I advise staying away from dangerous equipment if that's the case.

Following basic cutting safety procedures. Never bury the bar in wood that exceeds the length of the bar. Always be aware of where the exposed bar tip will travel throughout the entire cut. Do not cut stacked wood because the tip will always touch other logs causing it to jump on you and when you aren't paying attention is when it jumps the hardest.
I came way too close to ripping myself while tuning a saw on a stump. The bar tip ended up working it's way around to a log sitting close by and the tip caught it. I was leaning over it with one hand on the throttle and the other on a screwdriver. It was unnerving enough to call it a day.

Spoken like an amateur firewood cutter. There are so many times when the wood is wider than the bar is long that it barely requires mention. Then again in the world of firewood you can pick the trees you want to cut. It is not just lack of concentration that causes kickbacks. I would recommend that you stay away from big wood and refrain from handing out advice.

Spoken like an amateur firewood cutter. There are so many times when the wood is wider than the bar is long that it barely requires mention. Then again in the world of firewood you can pick the trees you want to cut. It is not just lack of concentration that causes kickbacks. I would recommend that you stay away from big wood and refrain from handing out advice.

You are ignorant. I didn't write all the safety guidelines. I just quoted a few of them.

Back