Chain Brakes and safety

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spoken like an amateur firewood cutter. There are so many times when the wood is wider than the bar is long that it barely requires mention. Then again in the world of firewood you can pick the trees you want to cut. It is not just lack of concentration that causes kickbacks. I would recommend that you stay away from big wood and refrain from handing out advice.
Don't understand you 2dogs. I knew what chainsaw jim was saying were "guidelines" and I have run into times when I had wood wider than my bar and that there are many things that cause kickbacks. But the name calling and put downs...grow up. If you have a beef with Jim PM him and call names there. Don't crap on this thread and be petty and disrespectful because you have some ax to grind. Geez.
Randy

Do I use chainsaws with no brake - yes.
Do I use chainsaws with no brake when working - no.
Do I let others use my saws with no brake - no.
If someone is using a saw with no brake do I lend them one with a brake - yes.

There is little reason to use a saw with no brake in any situation outside appreciating older saws.
With chainsaws like the echo 590 available at the prices they are 99% of chainsaw needs can be met with all the conveniences of a modern saw for very little money.

Don't understand you 2dogs. I knew what chainsaw jim was saying were "guidelines" and I have run into times when I had wood wider than my bar and that there are many things that cause kickbacks. But the name calling and put downs...grow up. If you have a beef with Jim PM him and call names there. Don't crap on this thread and be petty and disrespectful because you have some ax to grind. Geez.
Randy
12 posts and you are now the site police? In your dreams.

You are ignorant. I didn't write all the safety guidelines. I just quoted a few of them.
So are you trying to say you didn't come up with the words you posted? Are you advocating their usage or not?

(My computer sucks! It took me five minutes to type this post. It would be nice if all he keys worked the first time I pressed them. Rant off.)

"Do I let others use my saws with no brake-no" This is the question that I realize has been bugging me with my son and nephew. I've gone 40yrs with no accidents and no brake, but I realize it is a combination of reasonable training, experience, and luck. My neighbor had 40 years behind him too and he was lucky he had a brake a few weeks ago.

I get that. What does an echo 590 cost in your part of the world?
You won't just gain a chain brake, but every other advancement made in the last 40 years. A new saw, a pair of chaps and sleep a bit easier.

My dad was nearly killed by a 5200 poulan in 1983, i still have the saw by the way, it kicked back fast enough that he didn't know that it had hit him for a bit once he did notice we rushed home, I was 7 or 8, and mom took him to the hospital before he bleed to death. From just under his left eye to just above his belly button, cut his collar bone and a couple ribs into and still to this day has a one inch wide scar that's a couple feet long, he says that he should have got the chain break model and I have to agree. A experienced seasoned faller will use the tip of his bar almost constantly without kickback but it's experience and technique that allow him to do this. A chain break is a must in my eye and can c zero benefit in running a saw without or a broke one. A 90cc ported saw with a big sprocket can b on a man long before he knows what hit him. As far as the short bar big wood deal, I rarely have the tip out of the wood, boring and bucking loaded and sprung timber would b impossible if u couldn't use the tip.

A brand new echo 590 goes for $500 cdn...there is also a cs600 with the same engine but it is $629. I don't get the price difference.

There is also a Husqvarna 455 Rancher I can get for $435...
Also a Poulan pro 50cc for $230

All brand new saws... That Poulan has to be a big step down being half the price.

We will basically use it to buck up 3ish cords a year and for ripping the odd small slab or 6x6 post at our cabin. A lot of our wood is big maples and firs. Often up to and over 18"
Will these saws have similar power to my L65?

I run many saws without chain brakes (including all the large chassis Poulan Countervibes shown below). I even run bow saws without a chain brake...

image.jpg

I could get hurt by a saw just as easily as I could get hit by a car or shot in a 7-11 robbery attempt tomorrow.

The echo is by far and away the best value option for the "I just want one saw, to cut some wood" person.
I'd think it would be a suitable match in power for the l65, and massively lighter. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it outcut it by a significant margin. 5cc less, 40 years advanced. I haven't had the two side by side, and I can't remember the last time I even made a cut with an l65.
There are some ardent echo fans who will shower you with help if you post a thread about thinking of buying one. I've used one, and was impressed, but don't own one and have pissed off said echo fans several times by suggesting that I prefer something like a husky 562 and the extra cost is acceptable for the slight weight reduction in my use.
End of the day - I don't think there is a better new saw for less, and it makes many second hand options look silly. There are better saws, but they cost significantly more.

The echo is by far and away the best value option for the "I just want one saw, to cut some wood" person.
I'd think it would be a suitable match in power for the l65, and massively lighter. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it outcut it by a significant margin. 5cc less, 40 years advanced. I haven't had the two side by side, and I can't remember the last time I even made a cut with an l65.
There are some ardent echo fans who will shower you with help if you post a thread about thinking of buying one. I've used one, and was impressed, but don't own one and have pissed off said echo fans several times by suggesting that I prefer something like a husky 562 and the extra cost is acceptable for the slight weight reduction in my use.
End of the day - I don't think there is a better new saw for less, and it makes many second hand options look silly. There are better saws, but they cost significantly more.
Sounds good about the Echo...but what about the Husky 455 Rancher for $435? That saw is 5 cc smaller than the Echo, but it is 65$ cheaper...comparable?

I run many saws without chain brakes (including all the large chassis Poulan Countervibes shown below). I even run bow saws without a chain brake...

View attachment 449594

I could get hurt by a saw just as easily as I could get hit by a car or shot in a 7-11 robbery attempt tomorrow.
I have many big poulans myself including the 5200 that bout finished my pop off. I rarely run one but it's not because it doesn't have a brake it's because I have 50 other saws that I don't have to fix the pull rope on every time I start them. He bought the 5200 and 4200 new on the same day, I was a year old and I have both them saws and still use them occasionally

Sounds good about the Echo...but what about the Husky 455 Rancher for $435? That saw is 5 cc smaller than the Echo, but it is 65$ cheaper...comparable?
Not really. It's a much cheaper saw, overpriced with a husky badge. Plenty of wood has been cut with them, but stepping up to the echo is money well spent.
I get the feeling you don't intend to buy another saw after this anytime soon, the extra $65 will be forgotten soon.

When I was younger, I was nearing the end of a big job where I'd cut nearly 69 miles of survey line of the course of several months. I reached up to nip off a branch at full throttle and I missed with the bottom of the tip. I contacted the branch with the top of the tip. Next think I know I had a bar between my eyes and my hard hat was lying next to me. The saw was sill idling and the chain brake was engaged. Very eye opening experience.

Sounds similar to my neighbor. He said he was cutting a log on a pile that was chest height and he must have got another log with the tip. Next thing he knew the bar pounded him on his shoulder. Blink of an eye. He is so thankful he wasn't using his saw that doesn't have a brake. As soon as I showed up at our cabin he comes over and says, "You're getting rid of that old Husky! If you don't, I'm telling your wife!" Big strong experienced guy who I'd want with me if I got in trouble in the bush was rattled!

Will these saws have similar power to my L65?
If your L65 is healthy, the 455 or 5020 won't stand a chance. The Echo saws should out cut it but I've never ran them head to head. My friend has a 590 but the only time we cut together his chains were dull.

As another option, member @mesupra has a new 450 husky for about $280. A heck of a lot more saw than the poulan but a nice price.

As another option, member @mesupra has a new 450 husky for about $280. A heck of a lot more saw than the poulan but a nice price.
So I live on the west coast about 15 minutes from the border. Mesupra is 6000km away on the East coast. Do people ship saws that far? Is the cost prohibitive?

I'm open to anything that is worth the price and similar in power to my old l65. I love good deals!

So I live on the west coast about 15 minutes from the border. Mesupra is 6000km away on the East coast. Do people ship saws that far? Is the cost prohibitive?

I'm open to anything that is worth the price and similar in power to my old l65. I love good deals!
He should be able to ship, send him a pm.

I loved my 65 and even though it was very tired I already regret parting ways with it.

He should be able to ship, send him a pm.

I loved my 65 and even though it was very tired I already regret parting ways with it.
I have a lot of nostalgic attachment to our L65 but after my buddy had a kickback with his saw and was fortunate to have a brake I think I am ready to move up to modern technology. My teenaged son and nephew are taking over a lot more of the woodcutting and property maintenance duties at our cabin and I would be devastated if one of them were hurt just because there was no brake as a last line of defence

Back