Chain Breakages

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have used a (small) CS when a chain broke and seen a chain break inside a cut while a tree was being cut down. Both were pretty much non-events. In the first case the chain just sort of fell off the bar into the cut (lucky I guess?) and in the second it was the tree moving back that pinched the chain the bar so the chain had nowhere to go anyway

I realize that probably no two chain breaks are the same but when a chain breaks on a chainsaw being used in a mill what typically happens?

Where does the chain usually break and where does it go?

Can anyone relate an actual experience, including how much of the chain came out of the cut?

Not paranoid, just want to be aware of what might eventuate.

Thanks

Last edited:
I have used a (small) CS when a chain broke and seen a chain break inside a cut while a tree was being cut down. Both were pretty much non-events. In the first case the chain just sort of fell off the bar into the cut (lucky I guess?) and in the second it was the tree moving back that pinched the chain the bar so the chain had nowhere to go anyway

I realize that probably no two chain breaks are the same but when a chain breaks on a chainsaw being used in a mill what typically happens?

Where does the chain usually break and where does it go?

Can anyone relate an actual experience, including how much of the chain came out of the cut?

Not paranoid, just want to be aware of what might eventuate.

Thanks
I cant answer your question but I have often wondered the same thing.

I've been milling several thousand feet a year for several years now, and have never had a chain break on me yet in a mill. (on a chainsaw just cutting for various reasons over the years, yes had chain break several times). However, only about 20% of my milling is done with the chainsaw mill to slab off sides and slice logs into manageable cants. The majority is milled with the little Ripsaw bandsaw. I am using standard .375 chain though. Some of the csm folks use the smaller 3/8 LP chain. That puts a lot of strain on the smaller (thus weaker) chain, especially when used on long bars over 24". So... can't really answer your question since never happened to me.

Thanks Woodshop. while, as they say, one swallow does not make a summer I still feel a faint warmth on my back.

Maybe that's another question worth asking. Do you think chain breakage is more likely while milling or regular sawing?

Cheers

Last edited:
I run the 3/8 LP chain on 16", 20" and 24". I also use a 36" bar with the standard 3/8 chain. And yes, I have broken a few chains. Most (nearly all) due to pushing to far without sharping. Like with you, most were non-events. They just sort of fell off the bar. I've only had one that broke and came off inside the cut. Had a lot of fun fishin' it out too. As long as you are making the cut when the break happens, the biggest hurt is on the pocket book. Didn't take long to learn how and how long to go between sharping. By the way, 90% of what I do is with the 16" bar.
Rodney

Logosol M7 mill and chain breakage

I have been using a Logosol M7 with electric powerhead since 2001, and have not seen a single chain breaking until this day. From other users, I had reports of breakage, and they usually relate to dull chains, to hard feeding or milling with an empty oil tank. The two first reasons usually shows on the bar as extra wear, and should be easy to spot. A dull chain is also easy to both hear and see, and sawing is slower too. Its also important to check if oil delivery to the bar is ok.

A sharp chain is the major factor for a chain based mill. Proper sharpening is vital. I have used a electric chain sharpener before, but the result was not optimal. I went back to manual sharpening, with a jig based file.

More on proper sharpening can found at the Logosol website www.logosol.com

Thanks Woodshop. while, as they say, one swallow does not make a summer I still feel a faint warmth on my back.

Maybe that's another question worth asking. Do you think chain breakage is more likely while milling or regular sawing?

Cheers

As the Logosol folks explained, I guess if you keep your chain sharp and don't push the limits, they don't break. Again, I have never broken one milling. To answer your question, the few times I had a chain break while bucking or sawing firewood was more due to operator error (me doing something stupid) than anything else. One time I remember reaching into a brush pile to try and knock it down kindof "scissoring" away with my chainsaw in huge long strokes. Of course it soon caught a branch the wrong way and not only came off the bar, but broke in the process. Fortunately it just wrapped around some brush. It wasn't a dull chain, but it had been sharpened WAY too many times, and thus the teeth were worn back pretty far and a bit "grabby", which probably contributed to it catching and breaking. Post this question in the chainsaw section and you will probably get lots of horror stories, as long as how to lessen the possibility of a chain breaking. Maybe if you do a search there on chain breakage.

Last edited:
Post this question in the chainsaw section and you will probably get lots of horror stories, as long as how to lessen the possibility of a chain breaking. Maybe if you do a search there on chain breakage.

There has been of doozy specific chain breaking thread going but when you see the very poor state of the spocket that was being used to drive the chain - all is clear!

Whoops editing time finished before I could correct the previous post , it should read.
"There has been a doozy of a specific chain breaking thread going in the CS forum but when you see the very poor state of the spocket that was being used to drive the chain - all is clear!"

I can attest to the LP rip chain on long bars. I made the mistake of using a loop of bailey's carlton 3/8 LP chain on a 32" bar. Well, suffice to say, it really IS meant for smaller bars. A combination of hard dry walnut and forgetting to turn the oiler back up after bucking a log led to the final break; I also broke the LP chain a couple times milling some 2x8's in yellow pine with a semi-dull chain. I chocked that one up to the dull chain, but the chain was super sharp with the walnut. The plus side of the three breaks is that there was so much stretch with the LP chain, that I still had enough to put a 32" loop back together. I thought better of using it again, and made a 72link 20" chain with the leftover & got a sprocket bar. All three times, the mill stopped the chain from whipping around too much. Even with the breaks, the LP chain was pretty amazing. It really cuts at about twice the speed of the standard chain, for smaller wood. I'm not even trying again with a long bar.

edit; I got hit in the leg a few years back with a broken chain when cutting firewood; I didn't have chaps on, but luckily ended up with just a big welt, and my stomach in the top of my throat. about 1/3 of the chain came out of the cut; the rest just stopped dead in its tracks. This may be why I wasn't cut. I was just using a husky 359, but at full rpm's, I don't think it matters much.

Last edited:
. . . . . . I got hit in the leg a few years back with a broken chain when cutting firewood; I didn't have chaps on, but luckily ended up with just a big welt, and my stomach in the top of my throat. about 1/3 of the chain came out of the cut; the rest just stopped dead in its tracks.

AQ8, would you mind clearing us this paragraphh - esp the bit about the stomach and throat.

Thanks

No worries. I suppose you guessed that I just meant that I almost lost my lunch. Scared the ever loving S:ldkjsdaf out of me. I suppose if you do enough sawing, everybody has a close call or worse some time or other. I always wear the PPE now. No exceptions.

Have broken 2 chains in last 3 months both were while milling and both were l/p .365 first was new first day used on fourth log 18" in it snapped and just lay in cut.Second was last monday using mini mill on a small white oak log and it did the same thing.
first time was on a 30" bar second was on a 20" bar. I am also using a 24" to mill with that is l/p and it has cut several hundred feet with no problems at all.

I broke a 3/8" .063 chain on a 66" bar during GTG at my place a month back. Most of the chain balled up in the mill but the last foot or so whipped around pretty violently. Luckily no one was hit cause it would have hurt.

IMO it's one of those things that probably won't happen, but nobody can guarantee that conditions won't be just right for a broken chain to whip or even launch. That's why PPE was invented. Use you head and chances are you will be OK.

thats the one thing that has never happen to me .out of all the reels Ive been through I ve never snapped a chain
don't ask how or why

Back