Chain Breakages

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats the one thing that has never happen to me .out of all the reels Ive been through I ve never snapped a chain
don't ask how or why

Thanks BC and AggieWB for relating your experience. It's just as important to hear from those who haven't broken chains as those who have. I am somewhat surprised at the low response to this thread - either fellow CS millers are not interested or it's a less significant issue than I first thought or both. Some sort of a poll might produce some interesting/useful results. I wonder if chain/CS companies have ever bother to compile this sort of information to help assess risk etc.

I wonder if chain/CS companies have ever bother to compile this sort of information to help assess risk etc.

If you ask chain and saw manufacturers, the only answer you will get is you must use .404 on bars over 36" and such. I've found that they are more concerned with risk management than improving performance for the consumer/ user.

I forgot to mention that after we broke the 3/8" chain, we switched to .404 and tried again before we discovered the cause of the break was a 6" nail in the log. The .404 didn't break but about 6 of the cutters were ripped off. I haven't decided for sure, but I believe I am going to stick .404 on my 66" and 72" bars for this reason. I'd much rather lose teeth than send parts flying again.

If you ask chain and saw manufacturers, the only answer you will get is you must use .404 on bars over 36" and such. I've found that they are more concerned with risk management than improving performance for the consumer/ user.

I forgot to mention that after we broke the 3/8" chain, we switched to .404 and tried again before we discovered the cause of the break was a 6" nail in the log. The .404 didn't break but about 6 of the cutters were ripped off. I haven't decided for sure, but I believe I am going to stick .404 on my 66" and 72" bars for this reason. I'd much rather lose teeth than send parts flying again.
Yeah, I forgot to mention a few things also. Like us Logosol people use the Stihl 63 PMX l/p chain filed to 10*. The Stihl dealers here will laugh at you when you try to buy this chain from them.The only place we can get it is from Logosol, and only up to 24". On the box it comes in is marked, "for the Canadian market only." Bailey's does sell a chain that is the same size now. It's just not as good of a chain, but it is about half the price.

Like you, the longer the bar I use, the bigger the chain I use. I also take the time to sharpen often. And every time I change bars, I also change the sprocket. I grease the end sprocket each time I fill the gas tank, and tune the bar often. I've learned that all this saves time and money in the long run. And not nearly as many broken chains. I know I shouldn't say it, but I guess I haven't broken a chain in over a year now.
Rodney

I found the Stihl dealers here were also strongly recommending this line and perhaps understandably wouldn't offer any third party solutions. The local Stihl agents were happy to work with me to come up with what I thought was a reasonable starting solution for my new mill. The agent I ended up dealing with said, you have to try a set up and see how it works for you, which I found refreshing.

Latest posts

Back