Chain filing.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deezlfan

Meadow River Lumber Co. 6
Reaction score
When filing chain freehand, do you hold the file straight and push it through steady or do you twist the handle slightly while pushing it through? The rotation method seems easier on the file and I have less problem maintaining a good steady stroke. What works best for you?

Last edited:
I file straight, for no reason but habit. Im intrested to see what everyone else does. If it makes the files last longer I will be switchin to the "twist":biggrinbounce2:

I use a file holder, and don't twist. I give it a little turn every few teeth - I have it loose (ish) in the holder. Never really analysed it though...

Also, I would have thought twisting it could have opposing effects - depending on the direction. As the teeth are helical. It could make the teeth ware quicker, but cut more, or ware slower, but cut less

I normally use a file holder but when I freehand I roll my wrist clockwise.

To clean the file I after every half dozen cutters I knock the holder on a piece of hardwood to knock the filings off and then wipe on my shirt sleeve.

When I finish I also use a compressor to blow the gunk off.

I square file now so there isn't any twisting. When I round file I don't twist. I know some do and some don't. I don't think it makes much of a difference.

Either way works. Like Tom says don't try and save money when it comes to files. Throw'em out after 4 or 5 times.
I sometimes take the air compressor to them, blow'em out, I find that to help.
captaincaveman.jpg

Last edited:
I kinda rotate a little in between strokes. Not while filing and then I just tap the file end on the vice occasionally to knock it clean. And I use the roller guide.

I file chains under 3 places. N for new, D for dull, and S for sharp!:spam::popcorn:

I free hand and like others have learned, files do not last forever. I do want to get a good grinder.

Dan

The vinegar trick as in dissolving aluminium off a file by leaving it soaking in vinegar? Won't do anything for a chainsaw file, unless you're running aluminium chain! :)

I think the guys decided you would need a stronger acid to sharpen a file than vinegar.
But it would work in battery acid.

I just know your going to try it now lol

I don't need battery acid, I've got full strength hydrochloric that'll eat the face off you if you get too close... :greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back