Chain Gizmo!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahtreelimbs

A.K.A Rotten Tree Limbs
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Amoungst My Saws........Fool That Has Too Many!!!
Ever since I have gotten involved in these GTG's and picked up a Silvey Razur-Sharp II I have making attempts at some chain making. One thing that was hard was working on the chain with hand tools. I decided to make a chain holder to ease things a little. The holder uses a small Husky mount bar. I set it up so that most any size bar can be used. Most of the GTG's run 16" bars (so far). I also put a knob on it to turn the chain. The knob assembly uses a 7 tooth large spline rim sprocket. The chain tensioner works the same as a chainsaw. The T-handle goes up thru the bench to hold the unit in place.

This has worked pretty good for me so far!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
This has given me a great idea, but it's so redneck that I'll refrain from describing it...till I can show pictures!

Good work!

Chaser

I've been conguring up something very similar to your design, but need to accomidate big and small husky mounts in 16, 18 and 20" varieties. I don't think the length is important as the mount. I am redesigning a slide with a clamp type mount to extend to the end of the bar for the differant bar lengths. Cool idea and thanks for sharing your pics and ideas.

Steve

Freakingstang said:
I've been conguring up something very similar to your design, but need to accomidate big and small husky mounts in 16, 18 and 20" varieties. I don't think the length is important as the mount. I am redesigning a slide with a clamp type mount to extend to the end of the bar for the differant bar lengths. Cool idea and thanks for sharing your pics and ideas.

Steve

You can acually go with the small Husky mount. Since the small mount covers all the chain sizes you posted............why setup for 2 different bar mounts?

That base looks kind of flimsy... Have any problems with it flexing?:D
Actually, pretty cool!

Looks great Rich; thanks for sharing it with us. As a poor boy who can't weld, I've just been putting my saws, with bar and chain on them, in my bench vise. The lighting is good and the working height is about right for me. But with your device, you can just turn it around and do the other side with ease, I like it. Isn't one of the ten commandments "Thou Shalt Not Covet" :dizzy: Tom

rahtreelimbs said:
Eight inch......1/4" thick.......don't think so!!! ;)
No kidding! I'm using a length of 10-inch stuff just like it for a winch mount on my truck!

rahtreelimbs said:
You can acually go with the small Husky mount. Since the small mount covers all the chain sizes you posted............why setup for 2 different bar mounts?

Cause I run both big and little bars on the differant saws....Unless I am not understanding what you are saying. How is the chain adjustment on your knob? I was designing a a chain adjustment just as if it were on a saw.

Very resourcefull Rich. Now all you need to do is hook up a drill to it so you can stone the chain. lol
What kind of bar lube do you use? ;)
John

Freakingstang said:
Cause I run both big and little bars on the differant saws....Unless I am not understanding what you are saying. How is the chain adjustment on your knob? I was designing a a chain adjustment just as if it were on a saw.

If you look at the pics, you will see a horizontal bolt thru a small tube (9/32 driil bushing). At the end of that bolt there is a nut that has 1/2 of a carriage bolt welded to it. This goes into the bar groove. the bar is tensioned just like a saw. If you are using say a 16" loop on a 372 and a 16" loop on a 346 where both are the same drive link count and same gauge............both loops could be worked on the same small mount bar.

rahtreelimbs said:
If you look at the pics, you will see a horizontal bolt thru a small tube (9/32 driil bushing. At the end of that bolt there is a nut that has 1/2 of a carriage bolt welded to it. This goes into the bar groove. the bar is tensioned just like a saw. If you are using say a 16" loop on a 372 and a 16" loop on a 346 where both are the same drive link count and same gauge............both loops could be worked on the same small mount bar.

Ok, I understand, but I don't run the same size chain on the differant saws...16" on the little, and 18,20 and 28" on the big mount

Latest posts

Back