Chain grinder and rakers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juttree

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I bought an Oregon 511ax grinder about a month or so ago and I've been getting great results with it. I've probably done about 30 chains with it so far. The only thing that I'm not sure about is when I'm doing the rakers, the right side is real rough when grinding. The left side rakers grind nice and smooth. Could it be the way I'm grinding or setup that's causing it? I use the 1/4 wheel and I've tried all different ways of applying pressure. I was just chalking it up to the way it is because of the angle of the raker but I figured I'd ask and see if you guys have some tricks.

What do you mean by rough? Are you referring to a burr that develops because the wheel isn't turning into the chisel?

What do you mean by rough? Are you referring to a burr that develops because the wheel isn't turning into the chisel?
No, I mean how jumpy it feels while grinding. Not necessarily jumpy but not smooth like the left side. Kinda feels like it's a bit hard on the wheel.

Something doesn't sound right. Mine is as smooth from one side to the other. Please post some pictures showing the set up that's jumpy. Be careful, those wheels do come apart.

I'll post pictures in a little bit. I thought about flipping the chain but haven't tried it yet. It's been working but I just wasn't sure if it was normal to have it chatter so much on the right side rakers. Kinda sounds like it's not normal so far.

The reason is because the quadrant of the wheel is different due to the small difference between the right and left rakers. This is also exacerbated as the wheel wears due to the angle is always changing.

Think of a clock: the right raker is hitting at 5:30 and the left is hitting at 6:30. So the wheel is coming down on the right raker and going up on the left.

That is why you feel the chatter.

It is not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Of more important is the two sides right and left being ground to the same depth.

The reason is because the quadrant of the wheel is different due to the small difference between the right and left rakers. This is also exacerbated as the wheel wears due to the angle is always changing.

Think of a clock: the right raker is hitting at 5:30 and the left is hitting at 6:30. So the wheel is coming down on the right raker and going up on the left.

That is why you feel the chatter.

It is not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Of more important is the two sides right and left being ground to the same depth.
That makes a lot of sense, I'm not 100% sure but I think it has gradually gotten worse with the wheel wear. I think I'll center the wheel and see how it feels after that.

No, don't have a reversible motor
What happens if you spin it in the opposite direction with a power drill just before you flick the switch? I can't guarantee it won't wreck anything but I'm sure I've seen this on youtube.

What happens if you spin it in the opposite direction with a power drill just before you flick the switch? I can't guarantee it won't wreck anything but I'm sure I've seen this on youtube.
Yes I've seen that too but I don't really want to risk screwing anything up.

I'll post a picture of how I have my Oregon grinder set up for rakers and how we do the wheel as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I think turning the chain around makes a lot of sense.

I mostly file depth gauges but not sure it is worth the time.

Even the silvey depth gauge grinder was single rotation motor your issue is setup

That was dumb of me, I didn't catch you were talking about the rakers. Absolutely turn the chain around backwards. You will notice the backstop will land over the center of a rivet. That gives you a quick visual to line up the next raker. Turning the chain around backwards makes your depth near perfect from the left side to right, without messing with the depth stop.

Sorry guys, I haven't gotten back to the grinder today. I have some storm damage tree work to do tomorrow but I'll try and get to it tomorrow night. Thanks for the help.

Sorry guys, I haven't gotten back to the grinder today. I have some storm damage tree work to do tomorrow but I'll try and get to it tomorrow night. Thanks for the help.
If you need I can go down to the shop and get you a few pictures of my settings and how the wheel is set up for doing rakers.

If you need I can go down to the shop and get you a few pictures of my settings and how the wheel is set up for doing rakers.

I appreciate it. Here's what I do. First, I file one raker with a guide, then I set the 1/4" wheel so that it lands about the middle of the raker, then set the depth so that it's even with the filed raker. Could I really have it set wrong?
I'm thinking maybe I need to move the guide back to center the wheel. I could certainly be wrong though.

Latest posts

Back