chain grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrody44

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey all; is this thing junk or would it be suitable for home use?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40208

I fell and buck 7-10 cords of hardwoods for my stoves a season and that is about all the use my saw gets. At the price of this grinder it would pay for itself eventually rather than bringing my loops "in". But you usually get what you pay for.

Later - JB

I have one and I think it's junk. I went back to hand filing. It will work but it takes so too time to get all the slop out of it so that it hits the chain correctly. If you don't get it just right you have to file the chain to try and correct the error and you loose a lot of the tooth.

Well yeah, I guess I was under the impression that the grinder would be easy to use. I am getting better at hand filing (I made chains worse when I first started) but figured a grinder would be a more precise way to go as the jig would set the angle just right, but after reading the post by sblckwd and TreeCo I think maybe that is not true at all. Maybe I will just keep practicing with my hand files. I was told (I don't remember by whom) that after 3 or 4 filings your chain needed to be ground, that is why I would bring them "in" because I don't have a grinder. From what I am learning here that does not seem to be the case. Thanks - JB

Thanks Rocky, you have inspired me to keep at the filing and skip the grinder. I know what you mean by "seeing" the way the chain should be I am starting to get that part of it. I am sure with some more practice I will be a decent filer. Now I have to go and figure out which trees will get practiced upon :eek: My little bit of forest here needs some managing anyhow :)

If you are not efficient at filing full chisel chain yet then use semi chisel, which is more forgiving to the novice filer. Don’t be afraid to use a filing guide if you have too.

I bought a Maxx grinder from Jeff Sikkema and love it. Does a great job on my chains and keeps precise angles

Grateful-It is a "Nick the grinder"-made in the same factory in Italy. Comes with Nick's instruction manual. Like Brian, I prefer to file my chains on the saw-saves time. I picked up some grinders and am considering offering sharpening services to give me something extra to do in the fall and winter.

Those flat plates that screw on to the file work great. The hardest part of filing is learning not to go too deep or too shallow (getting the outside side plate angle correct).
The plate stops the file from going to deep so all you need to do is get the top plate angle right.
A beginner can put one of these on his file and sharpen his chain right on the saw in a minute or two and a better job than most freehand filers or grinders.

I seem to have a heavy hand when I file. A file guide helps me to not cut so deep, and I can keep the correct angle easier when I use it.
Another cool tool! :)

I started using a 12 volt grinder with little grinding stones a few years ago and haven't touched a file since. I find it to be faster with good results. Nobody mentioned this option so I wonder what you experts think about those smaller handheld electric grinders?

Originally posted by max2cam
I started using a 12 volt grinder with little grinding stones a few years ago and haven't touched a file since. I find it to be faster with good results. Nobody mentioned this option so I wonder what you experts think about those smaller handheld electric grinders?

I think if you had a super-deft touch it might be ok. It wouldn't work for me. They ARE good for trying to breath life into a frigged-up chain. Grind first, then hand file, slap the rakers down.
I like to hand file.
I also hate to hand file. ;)

If the grinder is back home or out at the truck etc., or the chain must be changed out, there is too much temptation to keep on cutting instead of stopping to sharpen at the very firstest sign of any dullnes at all. The simple file is the easiest thing to keep handy, bar none. The flat, fastened to the file, guide that Mike touts is a very good aid for new filers and gets rid of the biggest variable; file height.
I used the grinder the other day when I rocked ot a chain on a ground knot and it took me far longer to bring the teeth back 1/16 without burning than it would have done with a file plus I had to take the chain off and clean up the bar mounts etc. It is real easy to harden the teeth thru heating so that you can't file it afterwards too. For a working saw the old hand file is a hard proposition to beat.

In my oh so humble opinion!

Frank

hand vs machine

My grandfather Azel "Deek" Pellham is one of the best I've ever seen sharpen/file chain with a grinder. (you can't hand file while you drink Black Velvet) He does insist that on race chain (60 &70 off of a hahn harvester) that we hand file. It ends up sharp enough to take hair off of your arms! I guess ole' gramps is right.

I personnally have never used a grinder, always by hand. It sounds like you are not supporting 30 cutters as Gramps did, but it is always up to you. Bill Jr

If you can swing the bucks for a Maxx grinder from Jeff, you will be very happy. I`ve got and had all kinds of grinders and the Maxx produces the best, most consistent grind of them all, it`s right next to the Silveys that cost twice as much. I agree that properly hand filed is the sharpest but the Maxx easily puts out a chain sharper than most woodticks are accustomed to.

Russ

Holy crap!! That thing is awesome! Must be a few grand for such a contraption! I would have to burn a lot more wood in my stove to make that thing pay off :D

Stove

nick the grinder

A friend of mine has one and is wondering where to get the 3/16 in grinding wheel replacements, any one know?

Pike

Pike, This is a screwy thing that Harbor freight does-they stock the grinder in their stores but you must call the 800 number in the manual to order wheels. The # is 1 800 444 3353.

Back