Chain length question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
macstrange

macstrange

ArboristSite Operative
I'm running a holzforma 070 with a 60"cannon super bar. I bought a chain for it some time back, so I've forgotten how many drivers are on it. The chain seems long as I have to advance the bar quite a ways compared to my 36" bar. I'm thinking I could lose 3 or 4 drivers. My question is is there a way to accurately determine the length of chain based on Saw and length of bar?

received_2735492743423808.jpeg

sawfun

sawfun

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I dunno the number of links offhand, but can advise you to be careful with and pay close attention to that 070 three shoe clutch with that bar length. I smoked mine where it was just fine with a 36" bar. And mine was a genuine Stihl. You may need to upgrade to a 090 six shoe clutch.

macstrange

macstrange

ArboristSite Operative
I dunno the number of links offhand, but can advise you to be careful with and pay close attention to that 070 three shoe clutch with that bar length. I smoked mine where it was just fine with a 36" bar. And mine was a genuine Stihl. You may need to upgrade to a 090 six shoe clutch.

macstrange

macstrange

ArboristSite Operative
I would start by counting the drivers and comparing that to what's stamped on the bar. Maybe you bought the wrong chain?

Boy, that is a heck of a nice ripping job. What chain is that? What milling attachment?

Roy
I don't remember what the chain is. I suppose I could find out if I look at it. It's about due to be changed anyhow. I used a panther Mill jig. The wood is hickory.

macstrange

macstrange

ArboristSite Operative
The first time I ran that bar on that powerhead was in some pecan. I cut the first slab just fine. On the second slab the chain stopped moving yet the engine kept revving. I found out that I had stripped the clutch nut. I ordered a new one but I was afraid to run that 60 inch bar again. Then this log came up and it was a little too big for my 36 inch bar, and have a friend who was a Stihl technician that told me that the 070 should run a 60 inch bar without any issues. So I gave it a try and it ran fine.

TRTermite

TRTermite

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
user 122190
It's 2 in thick and I got 5 of them. I still have to mail the other half of the log.

Wow! Mine are 2 inches thick also. Makes a very very strong bench. Mine would support a school bus.

It took a long time and a hell of a lot of work to smooth out the top surface. I was living in saw dust for a week or more as I had 2 to complete with the support stands also. Worth it though!

user 122190
That should be in Yer front door entry way.
First Looking at Your Pictures I was going to Wisecrack "Are you showing off (BRAGGING) Or just PROUD of your work?" The Last pic shutdown that notion. NEET OOH!!!

They were cut with a Husqvarna 460 with a 24" B&C, freehand (no grandberg jig). I have a ms880 (with a 41" B&C) and plan to cut this sort of planks again, but never seem to get around to it, nor find the right size log. The OP's width opens up a lot more uses.

Latest posts