chain life = 15min?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ouch_that_hertz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi...

I have a Stihl 038AV, 20" bar.

The chain was pretty worn - since it's been about 12 years since I remember putting a new one on it. I have used it over the years, but not much. Amazingly, the saw has always started up and run great.

So, to replace the chain, I found a Husq chain at TSC that would fit (3/8, .050, 72T).

For the first 15 minutes it worked beautifully - like a new saw!

Then, I suppose as the chain heated up, and stretched, it got a bit loose and jumped the track (I didn't periodically check the tension!). I stopped to put it back on, and noticed the teeth were already rounded and worn-looking. I tried to saw once again - but it's virtually useless now.

Bar lube is flowing from the port on the saw, and the lube-holes in the bar are clean.

What silly thing am I doing wrong? I didn't saw through rocks or dirt or nails... Could it have been the deraillment that damaged ALL the teeth in the same way?

nothin' hard in there

I checked for that.

Nothing was lodged in there that I could see as I removed the cover.

Perhaps I picked up something hard that damaged the chain, then fell out when the chain derailled...

If it's something I'm doing (or not doing), I'd like to resolve it before I splurge for too many $22 learning-chains.

it is quite possible that when it de-railed it hit the chain catcher and rocked some teeths, but definately it shouldnt have rounded all teeths...

But experience is best teacher, next time you will propably remember to tension new chain after cut or two :rockn:

sharpen, yes

Indeed, I very well could sharpen it, you are correct!

Any advice on sharpening tools, other than the obvious "round file" type? Motorized sharpener? I know they come in different sizes (my chain calls for a 7/32" file, IIRC), but I've never had the need/desire ('til now) to do my own sharpening - so I don't know what's the best/fastest/cheapest (pick 2) way.

Indeed, I very well could sharpen it, you are correct!

Any advice on sharpening tools, other than the obvious "round file" type? Motorized sharpener? I know they come in different sizes (my chain calls for a 7/32" file, IIRC), but I've never had the need/desire ('til now) to do my own sharpening - so I don't know what's the best/fastest/cheapest (pick 2) way.

Do a search on sharpening. There is a ton of stuff on this topic. I do it by hand with a file (no guides). It is by far the cheapest, and in my opinion the fastest way to do it.

Do a search on sharpening. There is a ton of stuff on this topic. I do it by hand with a file (no guides). It is by far the cheapest, and in my opinion the fastest way to do it.

For normal touch-up yes, but not for a rocked-out chain......

I put the really bad ones aside, and work on them in the winter (or when my foot is broken- lol), but you could also pay a saw shop to grind it.

Last edited:
even when I have hit a rock or barb wire in a tree only lost a couple teeth.

thats when you get tempted to save that chain for the saw shop to sharpen.:(

For normal touch-up yes, but not for a rocked-out chain......

I put the really bad ones aside, and work on them in the winter (or when my foot is broken- lol), but you could also pay a saw shop to grind it.

+1. A round file will produce a great result at a minimum of cost and only a bit of time.

Fixing a rocked-out chain by hand is a pain and is generally worth paying the shop to do, even if their finished product is less-than-perfect.

get good at sharpening and you can sharpen a chain for free in 5-15 minutes

or spend 22 bucks every couple hours?

seems a no-brainer to me

Craig

thanks!

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your plethora of practical and useful advice. I will take it all into consideration... now where's the number for those tree-pro's I had here...

When you only use the saw once a year, it is easy to overlook something simple. Assuming you bought the chain from your local dealer, it might help to get him to look at the saw, oiler, bar, tip, and chain to make sure you didn't overlook anything.

If the chain derailed in a cut and has rounded chisels, I'd definitely take it to someone with an electric sharpener as evening out rounded chisels by hand is a pain. I'd still get yourself a round-file and a simple gauge so you can keep it sharp.

Graham

My 361 does that to RM2 in about 5 minutes, I can run it on my 041 for a long time, but I think the 361 is just too fast for it, turns the teeth blue and they look terrible, in the same tree that I run the 041 through....

the tree can be dirty with sand or just plain dirt and it will round out your chain pretty fast.

My 361 does that to RM2 in about 5 minutes, I can run it on my 041 for a long time, but I think the 361 is just too fast for it, turns the teeth blue and they look terrible, in the same tree that I run the 041 through....

It's not the chain... I've run rm2 and rm in all of my saws and it cuts o.k.

If you have cut to an old tree you could easily went trough a piece of barbed wire or an old rusty nail.
I am pretty sure that you hit something .
A loose chain will not round up all the teeth....unless it got so loose that it started to hit the casing ...but you would see some evident damage behind cover.
AS FOR SHARPENING.......you will need to file back all the teeth to remove the damage tooth ends.
This will be a long process...specially if you need to take off 1/16 on each tooth ....you will end up with a sore hand and more likely the saw will cut sideways if you have no filing experience.

For the small price i would get the chain sharpened at your local saw service dealer.....here they do it for about $5.00 which i think it is a lot of time saving for the amount of work plus all the teeth will be of equal lenght.

Alain,

sharpening, and chain types

Interesting. I'll have to check around here what it would cost to refurb these chains.

I just took a peek at Stihl's web-page for chains. Wow! It's been a while since I took a serious look at this industry... that's a lot of different styles! No - I'm not a Stihl fanatic... I'm sure other manufacturers have similar, as good, and probably better offerings. All I want is to clear a few dozen saplings dammit! LOL!!!

Thanks again for all your advice guys! (and/or gals - ya never know)

Back