Chain Loop Size Chart

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Help
Is there a chart somewhere online that will tell what size and number of teeth on a stock Stihl 025 w/"18 bar? I want to order some spare chains online, the dealer wants $25 for his. I also want to get a spare bar and some extra chains for it probably 16". I checked the Stihl site and my 025 wasn't listed (Strange) Also somewhere on this site I saw a link on how to grinding (or filing) chains to square ground. Anyone know where it was?
Thanks for your help.
Mike

oregonchain.com

Mike,

According to oregon's interactive selector gizmo the 025 will take 68 drive links of .325 pitch on an 18" bar and 62 on a 16" bar.

The Stihl catalog shows the same information as already stated.

Have you looked on your bar?  All the necessary data should be stamped into it back near the saw.  Something like a notch with maybe "1.6" next to it (the figure is in millimeters) indicating the width of the drive link needed, below that a number indicating the pitch of the chain, maybe ".325", and below that an outline of a drive link with a number next to it indicating the count required, maybe "68".

What does your manual say?

Glen

The 025 is an abberation, so to speak. It uses the bar mount
of the smaller saws, but has enough power to handle a .325,
so the result is a different chain length. It could have the
picco chain on it too, so look at your bar for info.
Your dealer's prices are too high, look elsewhere for chain.

I agree with Fish. I have seen 025s with mini chain and with .325. Brand of bar will sometimes make a difference with drive count.

Just go to your dealer and get what matches.

Some one has to support us local dealers or you will end up with nothing but BS.

Mail ordering chain and bars is about as bad as mail ordering suits.

I'm a charter member of the local stocking dealers alliance.

I forgot what I paid for my Stihl rollomatic E bar for my 025, but chains are less than $20 for Stihl RS 16". About $18 I think.

Thanks for all your help and input!!
I finally got to my saw. It was right on the bar 18" .325pitch,.063 and 68 teeth. What I was looking for was what my options are on the bar and chain sizes. I am not sure I want to run the "18 bar full time. After reading what you guys have posted I might be better off with a "16. I was looking for a cheaper chain to ruin first while trying to learn how to square grind em. I don't really want to practice on a $25 chain. Also my sons and my dad will be using it and I want a couple of chains that if they get ruined I haven't lost much. I give the dealer I bought the saw from plenty of business and referrals too. I would rather buy mail order than buy these items from certain box stores, may sound strange but I do have some principles (not that many but some). I am in the process of relearning about chainsaws I took a good look at the chain on my .025 and it is a lot different than the ones I used to sharpen when I worked for a tree service and my old mac 10-10 (cuts a lot better too, it's not your daddy's chainsaw anymore). What's the general consensus on changing that bar to "16?
Thanks again,
Mike

I think my old 024 was always .325, .050, 67 DL on a 16" bar.
23RS for round ground chisel.

u mite want to go by a chainsaw shop and see if they got some old chains.
i took a wk of steady experimenting with different ideas id heard here,along with some of my own ideas. had a bunch of old chains and boy i murderedem..
still i learned what works for me.
kinda wish i had some of the stihl chains
back,tho. course ive got a full supply of skip ,semiskip and various angle of sharpen,chains.my results were that full compliment is better ,and stay with
the recommended angles and raker depth.still i learned some stuff. now i know why u should stay with what the experts here recommend.
ps iagree the 18 bar would not be my choice for that saw. good luck now.

Well!!
I stopped by the shop where I bought my saw today to order a Stihl RS loop for my 025. Lo and behold they couldn't find a part # to order it. So I will send an email to Stihl to get a part # for them. Mail order is looking a lot better now. Why should I pay for one chain when I can get two for the price of one. Even if it is Oregon. I am thinking more along the lines now of just ordering a new .325,.050 16" bar and two round chisel chains with it. I have spent a lot of time, I mean a lot , going through the different manufacturers charts and info trying to find what (chisel )will fit my bar.
One dealer I emailed said he couldn't ship anything but Oregon out state. I had ask him about Stihl and Carlton. Does Carlton not allow mail order either? :confused:
Mike

Retarded is such an ugly term!

I carry about my daily business immitating Dustin Hoffman in
the movie "Rain Man". I answer every question with the answer
"About $100"
It works for me.
I really sound like him when I am real drunk. The chicks dig it.

Latest posts

Back