chain magic needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
okay heres my deal . i have a solo 667 that im not satisfied with . now at one time i had a chain man that made chains litterally fall thru the wood. i can make one cut alrite but if im remembering rite ,not close to what he could do.
im looking for somebody with that magic touch that i havnt seen in a good while.
if u are good[my previous guy told me was the best,the first day i met him].. email me your address and total cost etc . or if any of u guys know someone that can make a chain really rite id like to give him a try. i know what im looking for. surely my old chain sharpener guy, was not the only one around.im also looking for a new 20inch 3/8 .58 bar for this saw.id rather have .50 but i got 2 new .58 chains. the oregon prolite thats on it now ,looks fairly new but has too much play in the chain at mid bar.all transactions kept private ,unless i find what im looking for . then ill tell the world unless the guy doesnt want me to for some reason.

How many drive links? I got a half used .58 ga 3/8 chain layin in the shop somewhere.

Tony
Just post your address and see how many chains you get ....... LOL
Might want to check your PM's also

Tony, keep an eye out on ebay, they usually have good deals on bars. Not sure what would fit a solo, but bars arent too hard to come by.

Rob

thanks for the ideas. tony marks 13822 five pts rd locust nc. 28097. and to be clear, im not looking for something for nothin,but i obviously cant buy everybodies chain ,to see if it cuts like the ones i use to take for granted.well guess i really didnt takeim for granted ,as id take even new chain to him. the rite man will have a reg customer ,for as long as i can work and he can work tho.theres a dozen shops that i know of close enough and ive tried them all. one was above the others but im kidding myself to say he was as good as the other guy.
what happened to the old sharpener ,is a question i dont know.if i did, id travel right smart distance, to get some chain, back to him ,instead of trying to find somebody else who can do what he did.thanks again.tm

Hi Tony, what we really need to do is fix you up so you can sharpen your own chains. I think that all of the technique has been covered pretty well here but ask questions if there is something you aren`t understanding. If it`s the matter of not being able to hold consistent angles you would be well served by a clamp on filing guide. They aren`t as fast as freehand filing for an accomplished filer but they are much faster than driving somewhere to have your chains ground and your chains will last longer when filed rather than being ground. Nothing like being at the mercy of someone else, eh. Russ

Tony: I'd like to know what the fellow was doing to the chain before that you found so good. There really is no magic. One thing that really does make a difference in your filing is whether or not you can see what you are doing. I have to use a headband visor with a 3X magnifier in it for the square filing. Round is not quite so critical but you have to be able to see the chrome lift to know where you are contacting the tooth with your file and when you have brought it to an edge.

Frank

first of all forget the address . after reading it just now ,it sounds like somebody doing a scam for chain.
i aggree with the [ teach a man to fish] idea. its just that while ive
made headway in chain sharpening.truth is ,im not really close to what this guy could make a chain do.at the time i was using the 028 all the time,and like i said it just more or less seemed as if the guys chain fell thru in a cut on hardwood.russ im gonna look into that magnifiing thing. that mite be a key.
also i mite add that its a slack time for me,rite now.so im chainsaw poor . as in i got sevin saws and use my 036, 90 percent o the time. but i bought this 69 cc 667 for the big stuff ,and dont think im getting the best out of it.
like i said ,could be the prolite bar as it doesnt hold chain well.
which is a bit of a mystery to me as it really looks relatively new.
an on an on etc. no biggee fellas ,i just remember that fellas work
an get frustrated a tad when i cant find [or do it my self] that again.he really made my work easier,and the older i get the more important easier becomes.

:) :) :)

Last edited:
Russ if u arnt getting my emails ,which is what my puter is telling me ,the deal sounds good. do what u said and ill make sure the deal is good for ya. thanks ,tm
ps if u are getting all these emails sorry,the puter is sayin u arn t.
tony marks 13822 five pts rd locust nc 28097 ph 704 436 9623
since this is on forum i ll let u guys know russ is getting me the .50 bar i needed. later now

hold every thing. first ,when i got my saw it had a TOTAL chain on it .
in looking a dans chain ,it was easy to see that his oregon chain was more aggressive an the superior chain. since i was gonna
compare times on the two saws,i took the solo to my dealer and told him to put a chain comparable to the one on dans saw on the solo.and so he did with one mistake. he put .50 gauge on the .58 gauge bar.i should have stopped everything when i saw his 15 yr old son coming up front with the saw ,chain already on it.
this is what im talking about ,around here. guys been in buisiness 30 yrs or more and puts the wrong gauge chain on.
now granted if i was more in the know on saws etc id probably have caught it earlier.but thats where arborsite has helped me,in gaining understanding of what needs to be, for these saws to cut right.well i can use the .50 gauge on my 036. but now i still gotta shell out for the .58 gauge aggressive chain i went after to start with.murphys law i guess.at least iknow the bars alrite . i knew it looked too new to be worn out.:eek: :confused: :) what u gonna do!
anyway i appreciate the help on it.

Back