Chain Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjayfromwa

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I run a walkerized 660 with a 36in bar, 3/8 .050 round chisel full skip chain, i also take my rakers off. My question is which works better? round chisel, semi-chisel, or square chisel chain. I have always used the round chisel, but i find the chains get dull pretty quick (i cut a lot of fir, maple, hemlock, cottonwood), they are anywhere from the small little twelve inchers, to four-six footers. Fall them and buck them up or chunk them down, i work the saw pretty hard and it works good, but i would like something that holds an edge better. Just curious about the opinions on this. I'm planning on ordering another 100ft reel, just thinking i might try something different.

bigjayfromwa said:
I run a walkerized 660 with a 36in bar, 3/8 .050 round chisel full skip chain, i also take my rakers off.
Do you mean take them right off, like buckers working on a scummy landing who snap the rakers off with pliers?

I don't understand "take the rakers off" either?

Square ground chisel cuts great in your type of wood, but will blunt faster than semi chisel RM , but it cuts faster... so choose your poison.. I stay with the fast cutting and touch it up often.. unless down in the stump or in dirty wood, then it's RM skip.

Back