Chain questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butch(OH)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Our 2050 Pool-lan (gimie a break I am new here LOL) has a chain with a cutter every third link, looks like Oregon and childproof of course. Our MS210 has cutters every other link, Stihl chain and also childproof. We have been working a fence row with Ash and Elms mostly and the Pool-lan pulls nicely and actulay cuts faster than the 210 which labors to pull the chain. Both are hand filed and rakers set to the gauge. This stuff is fairly tough cutting, the biggger ones give the 036 a good pull. Would the chain with less cutters be a good thing to try on the Stihl or is my 210 a sick puppy? It seems to run as it should and I never gave a thought about something being wrong with it till the dime store saw out cut it. Thanks.

What you've got on your poulan is full skip chain, while the 210 has full compliment chain.
full skip chain goes in this sequence, cutter, tie strap, tie strap, cutter. full compliment chain is cutter tie strap, cutter. semi skip, which I'v never seen in a low profile chain, is cutter tie strap, tie strap, cutter tie strap cutter.

Maybe first recheck your raker hight. If the rakers were not taken down accordingly on the 210 it would not cut well. some other factors to look at like the condition of the bar. air/fuel mixture, spark arrestor....

the low prow 91 non safety chain will cut a good bit faster.

Is low pro 91 a Stihl chain? Sorry I am not a scientist but not a novice either. I am teaching two sons how to run saws and the Poulan doesn't have a chain brake so I think I hang with the child proof on it. The MS210 has very few hours on it, maybe 5-6 all with Stihl oil at the labeled rate so I haven't considered build ups in the arrester. I did have to break the travel limits on the jets to get the high mixture to where it has good (seemingly) power. I which I could switch the chains just to check

91 is an Oregon chain. Skip chain is argued about constantly. Everyone agrees that it is quicker to sharpen since there are fewer cutters but the arguements go on and on about cutting speed.-WHich shows that there isn't a huge difference. I suspect that something else is up wioth the Stihl if both are properly sharpened.

oldsaw-addict said:
What you've got on your poulan is full skip chain /QUOTE]

Doubtfully. It is more likely to be a 91VG Xtra guard anti-kickback chain. The cutters are replaced by huge bumper guards to help prevent kickback.

Butch, there is no such thing as child-proof chain or saws. Just be super careful and get a saw with a chainbrake for the young-uns to use.

(The way I remember when to use compliment vs. complement is I think of the word complete, which in some sense means a full count.  If I'm talking about count or quantity, the word with the "e" is the correct one, as in the case of tooth count on a chain.)

Some say that the skip-tooth configurations impart more sudden/severe shock loads to the output side of the engine than the full-complement chains do, and I guess I can visualize that as being true.

A new saw with only a few hours on it will not have yet developed full power, and an old saw with no chain brake likely is a pre-EPA-choked saw, so that may be a good portion of the difference right now.

Glen

The Stihl chain is an oilomatic 3 part #63PM1-55. I thank you for the concern for my youngens. Childproof is just my SA dialect for big brother allways being on the watch for me. The boys don't cut unless I am right beside them and they have watched me saw for years. I see in the manual that Pool-lan sells a kit to put a brake on the saw, I never imagined that any homeowner saw would come without one. Your right I should get one on the way. I bought it new in the box for $50 at a garage sale so I can spend a bit I guess.

correct size file

Can someone tell me what is the correct size file to use to sharpen 91VJP chain.

I am headed to someone elses house over the weekend and he wants to see how to sharpen a chain. I want to have him go get a couple files before I get there.

I looked at the owners manual, and it said :sharpening a chain requires special tools and skills, we recommend you leave it to a professional". :censored: you.

Thanks

John Cinco,
The Oregon 91 series is 3/8" low-profile. Therefore it takes a 5/32" file. I can't help you with the homeowner-style bumper guards. I recommend you swing by the hardware store and grab a 6" single cut mill file as well. You'll need it for lowering the rakers to a decent working height of about .025"-.028".

Latest posts

Back