Chain running backwards.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
reverserator

The cure is to replace the module. HOWEVER, if you don't lug the saw way down again, it may never happen again. 020's were famous for this (the old style).
Some replaced the modules, some didn't.
I would try it and get used to the power of the saw. You may find this won't bother again. If it does, you know the cure.

In the days of two stroke detroit diesels, you could bump the dock a little too hard and they would run backwards.

Mike

Never heard that one before but it makes perfect sense. I will bet you would wonder what the heck was going on when you put it in a forward gear to pull away from the dock.

I am a old saw collector and a mechanic. I have many saws...some are running clockwise orther are counterclockwise...Any 2 cycle saws will run either way ...clockwise or counterclockwise...it dont matter and it is enginered that way.....basic physic law of internal combustion engine.To push it to extreme even cars will do the same .It is called dieselling or running backward. Usual cause is poor gaz octane or bad timing. I would get the IPL for your saw and check the timing advance.It should not be close to 0 (zero). Usually SET 10 TO 20 degrees BTDC. If you have a transistor ignition and there is no plate adjustment,then the timing is self adjust according to the magnet position in the flywheel.Before suspecting the transistor unit as being defective i would get it pulse tested since they can be pretty expensive.
If your timing is around zero i would questionned that refering to the IPL manual.
Again...bad timing or poor gaz octane will cause what you are experiencing now.

actually you could sell back that saw with a unique feature.....IT HAS A REVERSE to back off your cutting log.......lol...lol... :) :) good luck.

actually you could sell back that saw with a unique feature.....IT HAS A REVERSE to back off your cutting log.......lol...lol... good luck.

Do you prefer an automatic or standard transmission for bucking?

Last edited:
Had time took side cover off upper scre holding coil backed out broke a couple teeth on fly wheel time for new fly wheel. Didn't have any time till now simple answer. What kind of fly wheel puller do I need and where can I get one. Feel like a goof for not opening the side cover before posting. Thanx for Info and laughs.

It uses the most common flywheel puller for stihls... 1110 890 4500.

Your dealer might sell you one, let you use it, or they are available on Ebay.

You need to match your flywheel with the coil, or, if you are going to change the coil, the other way around. They IPL does not tell the entire story. Search AS - there have been may uploads of the 064/066 coil/flywheel tech notes

Coil screws on the 064 (and most mag casing Stihls)are supposed to be put in with blue loctite.

If the saw was running ...meaning you have good spark at the plug ......i would not replace the coil unit...it is good and the age of the saw has no effect on it. A coil is either good or bad.These are only magnet induction unit with primary and secondary field (condenser) discharge to ground (spark-plug). In your case if the saw was running i would say you have a good coil. I would not replace it.

Had a motorcycle start and run backwards once .Shut it off and got a ride home. Next time I started it it ran right and never did it again long as I had it.

Usually a timing issue, I've seen 2 motorcycles do this - one was an old 360 Yamaha street/trail bike, the other was a KTM 125 (on the side of a steep hill), both were VERY funny! Matt

older 2 strokes

All 2 strokes will run backwards, if it coughs spluters and backfires theres evry chance it will set off backwards.
I would imagine modern engines have chips to stop this rrrrrrrrrr brown sauce
Mark

It only gets worse.

having several chainsaws is just the beginning. Had to go out to the snap-on truck and spend exuberant amounts of money on orange tools to start my chainsaw tool box. Ordered a fly wheel puller today more money. But enjoyed starting to tear down the saw. Waiting for shop manual and ipl to arrive more$ spent.Tracking down and getting right parts I am going to make out like a bandit think I will be able to beat the thousand dollars for a new 650 and I'll even have a few tools to take on the next saw.

only mechanics

having several chainsaws is just the beginning. Had to go out to the snap-on truck and spend exuberant amounts of money on orange tools to start my chainsaw tool box. Ordered a fly wheel puller today more money. But enjoyed starting to tear down the saw. Waiting for shop manual and ipl to arrive more$ spent.Tracking down and getting right parts I am going to make out like a bandit think I will be able to beat the thousand dollars for a new 650 and I'll even have a few tools to take on the next saw.

only mechanics would do such a thing. but in your case who is going to inspect and sign off on the work?:cheers:

Back