Chain Saw advice ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EODDave

Reaction score
New guy, Chain Saw ?

Hi all another FNG here. Have a quick question. I have been looking through the site as I am looking for a chain saw for my property. I live in SE Virginina and have about 1 acre of 5 that I am slowly clearing. I have both hard and soft woods and need advice on a saw.

After reading some posts regarding the Stihl home owner saws vs mid range vs the pro saws, I have a question. I understand that in the pro saw line the Stihl is the way to go, but I dont think that I need something like that at this time. So, is a home owner addition stihl (MS-270, 280 etc) that much better than an Echo or Husqv?

Also what about the CB or CBQ versions of the Stihl? Is the base model the way to go or do the other CB/CBQ versions work as advertised.

I am looking for a saw tha my wife can also use as I deploy for 6 months at a time and my wife wants to be able to cut wood or downed trees if needed.

Regards,

Dave

Last edited:
EODDave said:
Hi all another FNG here. Have a quick question. I have been looking through the site as I am looking for a chain saw for my property. I live in SE Virginina and have about 1 acre of 5 that I am slowly clearing. I have both hard and soft woods and need advice on a saw.

Welcome to the site! If you've been looking around, you've already soaked up a lot of knowledge and insight, I'd suspect. Lots of folks have been in your shoes in the past (often recent), so you should be able to find lots of old posts that address your situation.

EODDave said:
After reading some posts regarding the Stihl home owner saws vs mid range vs the pro saws, I have a question. I understand that in the pro saw line the Stihl is the way to go, but I dont think that I need something like that at this time. So, is a home owner addition stihl (MS-270, 280 etc) that much better than an Echo or Husqv?

Stihl, Husqvarna, Jonsered, Dolmar, and Echo are all fine brands with certain models that are tops in their class, some that are respectable, and others that, well, don't really distinguish themselves and act more like placeholders in the manufacturer's product lineup.

I don't think you'll see any real difference between similar products from the good manufacturers. Using the Stihls you mentioned, I'd say that the Stihl MS270, Husqvarna 353, Dolmar 510, or Echo 520, they're all pretty close in performance, weight, and durability. Stick with the brand that can be serviced locally, that you can get parts and accessories for locally, and most importantly, the brand that feels best in the hands of the saw's intended user.

EODDave said:
Also what about the CB or CBQ versions of the Stihl? Is the base model the way to go or do the other CB/CBQ versions work as advertised.

I would avoid them, as they're just one more thing to have fail at an inopportune time. They also make routine maintenance more difficult. Stick with tried-and-true designs, operate the responsibly and safely, and you'll be a happy saw operator! And you'll have an extra $50 in your pocket for not needlessly buying those "features". Put that money towards your saw chaps.

EODDave said:
I am looking for a saw tha my wife can also use as I deploy for 6 months at a time and my wife wants to be able to cut wood or downed trees is needed.

Your wife should be able to operate any saw that you can operate, though she may prefer a slightly lighter one than you might otherwise be comfortable with. Take her with you to the saw shop to see what feels right in her hands, too. I would guess that she wouldn't have any objection to something like an MS270/280 or Husqvarna 353 - they're both light, balanced, and adequately powerful to get the job done safely and quickly.

Also make sure that you get her a proper kit of protective gear for her, too, since her saw chap size is probably different from yours.

Not, by chance stationed out of Oceana NAS, eh? I grew up in Va. Beach as a result of that place. Two baby brothers born in Portsmouth.

As for Stihl for clearing but an acre of woods, and one that the wife can comfortably use? I'd steer clear of the 290/310/390 series for this one. What is the largest tree you are looking at as well as the saturation of that size tree (one big 'un would make the case for a bigger saw weak, whereas a heavy concetration would make it better)

Look for a MS260, I'd say. MS280 would be cool. Maybe a Husky 350? No doubt someone will suggest a Dolmar 5100, too.

Either way, don't let the wife cut alone. Too danged dangerous.

Welcome to AS.

The 270 has a lot of the pro features that you mentioned. I have the quick chain adjuster on my 270 and it is three years old with no problems. Just a little extra cleaning. The quick chain stop would be an excellent feature if you want your wife to cut, it adds another safety feature that nobody has but Stihl. I have it on my 280 and it really works. Its great if your hand was to slip from the handle the brake iss applied. Nice feature. As always cut close to your wife for safety and do not forget your PPE. Welcome and hope I answered some questions for you.:cheers:

Cb/cbq

By all means avoid the CB/CBQ versions! :bang:

They offer only gimmicks to solve non-existant ptoblems, and adds to the list of what could break + some weight.

The quick chain tensioner also makes it more work to clean the saw, and dicurages proper bar maintenance. :pumpkin2:

A QSS brake that you get accustomed to, and suddenly doesn't work is downright dangerous. :bang:

Last edited:
Just Mow said:
....The quick chain stop would be an excellent feature if you want your wife to cut, it adds another safety feature that nobody has but Stihl.....
Not quite true, Husky offer a system with about the same intent on some saws, but I have never seen them offered in the US.

They are not popular here, I have never seen one outside the catalogs/advertising.....:ices_rofl:

Anyway, I would forget both Stihl models, and get a real pro quality and somewhat lighter Husky 353 instead - unless you really need the slightly more power of the 280. The 270 should not be an option imo...

If you are one of the few that has a serviceing Dolmar dealer close by, the 5100S probably is the saw to get. It will outcut all the others with some margin, I believe.

Last edited:
Like I said the quick chain adjuster is not a problem, just a little more cleaning. I have a friend who is a cedar clearer and all they run are the MS270CQS saws that have the adjuster and the extra chain brake for three years now with ZERO problems. The 270/280 series of saws have a better anti vibe system than the Husky with more power. Just my Opinion.:givebeer:

Do yourself a favor

Avoid buying a saw at a discount house, go to a name brand dealer who will work with you on keeping it up to snuff with quality parts. If you buy from the discount guys they wont be able to service it if something breaks. If you have any mechanical skills at all there is a wealth of knowledge here on this site that can guide you through whatever comes up. The money you spend upfront with the proper maintenance will get you a saw that will last you a long time!;) Not to mention warranty service and available parts!!!!!! any of the brand names that have been given will work....Oh Yeah Thank you very much for your service....My son Trey is A Marine training in School of Infantry Camp Pendleton Ca...... OhhhhhRaahhhhh

My 2 cents

Last edited:
I won't bother to make a recommendation since so much info has already been offered . But I would like to thank you for your service to our country and may God bless you and your family.

Thanks very much for the info on the saws. I think that I will be purchasing a Stihl 270 or 280.

Also thanks everyone for your support. It's nice to know that the country is backing the troops.

Bump_r, you got it right. Oceana is a nice base when we are here.

thanks all,

Dave

The 280 is a nice saw, nothing like the typical homeowner 290....

Btw, I guess you have been EODing in some interesting places?????

I like the MS270...

I have a MS270C with the quick chain adjusty-thingy. I like it.

I cut a cord or two a year on my own property, and perhaps another 5 or 6 with other folks elsewhere. I also clear downed trees and chop a railroad tie or 6x6 pressure-treated post on occasion.

With the quick adjuster, I never have to worry about losing the little wrenchy thing, and it became second nature after a few uses. Sure, it's a solution to a non-existent problem, but only so much as the the timer on your kitchen stove, the unlock button on your car's keyfob, and the remote to your TV.

Otherwise it is just a great mid-sized saw, with plenty of power to pull the .325 chain on a 18" bar. The other saws mentioned are all certainly great machines, but I have three or four Stihl dealers within 20 miles, so that brand worked out for me. Knowing what I know now I might have spent a hair more $$ for the MS280, but the MS270 is plenty of saw for about 90% of what I do.

Wes said:
I have a MS270C with the quick chain adjusty-thingy. I like it.

With the quick adjuster, I never have to worry about losing the little wrenchy thing, and it became second nature after a few uses. Sure, it's a solution to a non-existent problem, but only so much as the the timer on your kitchen stove, the unlock button on your car's keyfob, and the remote to your TV.
Well said.. "remote" for the chain:clap:
Usually the used and not abused chain needs a little sharpening nearly the same time when it gets loose, so you need keep the tools near anyway

pinus said:
Well said.. "remote" for the chain:clap:
Usually the used and not abused chain needs a little sharpening nearly the same time when it gets loose, so you need keep the tools near anyway

Yep, who actually goes into the woods without a scrench - they have other uses than just chain tension adjustment.....:bang: :bang:

Wes said:
With the quick adjuster, I never have to worry about losing the little wrenchy thing,
Don't you bring a scrench anyway????? :pumpkin2:

Last edited:
SawTroll said:
Yep, who actually goes into the woods without a scrench - they have other uses than just chain tension adjustment.....:bang: :bang:

Don't you bring a scrench anyway????? :pumpkin2:
...and if you is alone, far from home, with single saw and no axe and bar gets pinched:taped: ...bad times then:hmm3grin2orange:

pinus said:
...and if you is alone, far from home, with single saw and no axe and bar gets pinched:taped: ...bad times then:hmm3grin2orange:

Truth be told, the emergency backup Pull-On always has the scrench duct-taped to it and is in the back of the truck...

Back