Chain saw mills

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzz 880

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a chain saw mill just wondering if anybody had any suggestoins what to get.

The two biggies are the Granberg "Alaskan" and the GB. Both units mount to the saw differently, but function similarly enough to not be a big deal. Kind of like a cheese slicer with more noise and power.

Which one you choose isn't that big of an issue, it's what you do with it and how you use it that will make the difference. That's where this forum comes in. We are here to share our experiences to make your learning curve a bit steeper, and hopefully cheaper.

Mark

Buzz,

This forum gives great advice, you're in the right place. I read through hundred's of posts before making a decision: 36" Alaskan and a MS 660. Just picked them up on Friday, next weekend we'll see what happens...

Many thanks to Oldsaw, Aggie, Casey, and other "full-time" posters on this forum.

You guys might like this story. When the UPS guy dropped off the 660 at my saw shop he looked at the 36" bar and said "What the #$%! is that for!" The owner in old yankee fashion told him, "There's some wicked big trees out in woods round here." :)

Hey BUZZ,
You may want to look at this mill www.woodbug.com
I like mine and an 880 would make it even nicer. It's a little less labor intensive than the afore mentioned mills, but it cost more, also. At least you get to mill standing up! :hmm3grin2orange:
Let us know what you decide on,
Kit

I always end up with a few log left over from each job.Normally I just cut them into firewood.But this year I have to much firewood and have some really nice ash, maple,cherry and some tammarack logs.Just like make use of them.

I always end up with a few log left over from each job.Normally I just cut them into firewood.But this year I have to much firewood and have some really nice ash, maple,cherry and some tammarack logs.Just like make use of them.

Im guessing that when you decide on a mill that you will be running low on firewood from time to time, LOL. Seriously though,I have only used the Alaskan mill and have been very pleased with it. Others here use the GB and are also pleased with their choice. Oldsaw sais it best in that you will be good to go with either. Good luck with your decision making and let us know what you decide. BTW, Baileys has the Granberg (Alaskan) On their site for you to look at. Aggie could probably point you in the right direction for the GB.

Im guessing that when you decide on a mill that you will be running low on firewood from time to time, LOL. Seriously though,I have only used the Alaskan mill and have been very pleased with it. Others here use the GB and are also pleased with their choice. Oldsaw sais it best in that you will be good to go with either. Good luck with your decision making and let us know what you decide. BTW, Baileys has the Granberg (Alaskan) On their site for you to look at. Aggie could probably point you in the right direction for the GB.

What kind of timber have you cut with your mill

The two biggies are the Granberg "Alaskan" and the GB. Both units mount to the saw differently, but function similarly enough to not be a big deal. Kind of like a cheese slicer with more noise and power.

Which one you choose isn't that big of an issue, it's what you do with it and how you use it that will make the difference. That's where this forum comes in. We are here to share our experiences to make your learning curve a bit steeper, and hopefully cheaper.

Mark

Well said. Both perform equally well in the end. If I were to draw differences between the two I would say the Alaskan is a bit easier to mount and adjust and the GB is sturdier for larger saws and long bars. Just my opinion.

What kind of timber have you cut with your mill

I have cut a bunch of cedar and white oak. Have also cut smaller amounts of cherry and poplar. Ive only been doing the milling thing for about eight months or so, so Im still learning. There is a lot of useful info on this site. Best of luck to you.

The best looking mills I've seen are made in the UK. I don't think he has a US distributer, so I'm thinking that stateside distribution is a bit limited. That is with all the tariffs, taxes, and shipping issues. I could be wrong, but I haven't read anywhere of anyone using his stuff. He's a member here, but we have those advertising rules and such...so I'm not sure if I can post a direct link.

One of the British mills has rollers and operates much like an alaskan. The other operates from a large central beam. I've seen nothing like them elsewhere. (Current exchange rate makes the dollar equal to about 1/2 pound).

Fabricate yer own is another approach. Mine may start with a large central beam!:bowdown:to the Rail!

I only own a Haddon lumbermaker right now--so I'm not speaking from in the field experience.

Last edited:
Back