chain sharpening a chain ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

col56

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was wondering how many here use the clamp on file holder that keeps the proper degree for sharpening a chain.

If so are there ones to buy or stay away from ?

Thanks.

Col

I was wondering how many here use the clamp on file holder that keeps the proper degree for sharpening a chain.

Thanks.

Col

I got one from my grandpa years ago... I didn't like it. You're better off learning to file by hand, or with a grinder. Look in your local book for saw dealers... And tell them you'll buy your chain and files from them, if they'll show you some technique with hand filing your chain. They'll probably give you some old chain to practice with too.

Good luck!

I file by hand in the field, but when I get back home I set up the granberg one from Baileys(about 20). Seems to work well and have plenty of adjustment. It does take being anal about the depth settings the first couple of times, but I seem to be able to keep even sharpening on both left and right teeth.

I already know how to file by hand (been cutting 38 years) I thought that it might just be easier to use one of the gizmoes.

I have seen them around but never thought to ask anyone.

I never knew this site existed and came upon it by accident. Lots of good info even for an old fart like me. I just bought a computer and I can't believe the things on it.

Col

Last edited:
I already know how to file by hand (been cutting 38 years) I thought that it might just be easier to use one of the gizmoes.

I have seen them around but never thought to ask anyone.

I never knew this site existed and came upon it by accident. Lots of good info even for an old fart like me. I just bought a computer and I can't believe the things on it.

Col

If you've been sawing that long... You would be really disappointed then. I think they work okay (slowly) for what they are... But they're slower than sin IMO.

Thanks.

Col

I've used the one that Stihl makes for years. IMHO it's the best one on the market. Replacment parts are also available for it. I recently replaced the bushings & file holder parts for about $20.00

Now the bad news, new it's $120.00 give or take. Keep an eye on e-bag, I picked up a second one a few months ago, like new for $35.00.

Ed

Welcome col56, is amazing what we can find online.
I not too far from Pa. in Md. just below York.
You close by?
I got one those chineese copies of the oregon grinder last yr from
NorthernTool. $89.00, works great. If you sharpen alot of chain its well
worth it. Those gizmos are for the birds, hand file or grinder. The only way to go.

I was referring to the cheaper ones... I haven't used a $120.00 model like the one above... They may very well work great.

:cheers:

Shoot....I'd love to be able to sharpen "well" by hand. I've tried and I can get the it to cut....but not like it did out of the box. :help:

Shoot....I'd love to be able to sharpen "well" by hand. I've tried and I can get the it to cut....but not like it did out of the box. :help:

Practice makes perfect. I sharpened 100's of feet before I got it down... I started when I was around 10 years old.

Go to your dealer and ask for old chain to practice with.

hogjaws,

I live out in the country about 40 miles south of Pittsburgh.

I am pretty much in retirement now and am ramping up my cutting with oil going crazy. I put in a new soap stone woodstove and told the Boss-also known as the wife that I am going to run it 24/7 this coming year.

It takse a little time to sharpen the 36 inch chain I currently have on my Stihl MS 660 mag - Now that is some kind of saw.

I also have a Stuhl 041 Farm Boss that has seen many a tree. Pretty much retired now. Doesn't have chain break on and at my age I not wanting to visit the hospital if i would be that lucky.

I might just play around with ebay-heard a lot abot it so maybe I'll visit and see if I can find a Stihl to play around with.

Ed*L

Does Stihl only make one of these sharpeners ?

Col

I use one of these. They keep the depth the same and help you keep the angles right. It fits right on the chain. If the bar is worn and the chain leans a little it stays right on the chain. If you use a granberg style the angles are off if the chain leans over. With minimal practice its almost as fast a free handing it but more accurate. If you already free hand , this will be a piece of cake.
http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/products_product_specific_accessories_details.aspx?pid=5203
J-red and husky dealers should have them in stock or they can get them.
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=70308&d=1209754820

Last edited:
I might just play around with ebay-heard a lot abot it so maybe I'll visit and see if I can find a Stihl to play around with.

Not a bad idea, but keep your wits about you. Go slow. There are a lot of scammers. Yes, you can get good deals, and you can also get taken to the cleaners.

If you decide to set up a PayPal account (for making payments on eBay), set it up with a separate bank account, not your regular one. Only put enough in there to make the payment on whatever you decide to buy. Don't keep alot of money in there. That way, if something goes wrong (PayPal DOES make mistakes sometimes) or if somebody manages to get into your account, they can't hurt you very badly.

:cheers:

I purcashed 1 for about 40$ awhile ago, 1 of them clamp on types. Used it a few times and just got sick and tired of it. Since then its in the bottom of a toolbox somewere and have always handfiled. If you want it , ill look for it, it is used but you pay for the shipping its yours. Infact when i get off of work tonight ill see if i cant find it and take some pics for ya

Crashagn,

That would be super. I like to tinker and have the time now to do so.

I would gladly pay for shipping.

Thanks again.

Col

I've got one of the Orergon models - am looking at the grinder option. Filing just aint cuttin' it (straight at least).

I use one of these. They keep the depth the same and help you keep the angles right. It fits right on the chain. If the bar is worn and the chain leans a little it stays right on the chain. If you use a granberg style the angles are off if the chain leans over. With minimal practice its almost as fast a free handing it but more accurate. If you already free hand , this will be a piece of cake.
http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/products_product_specific_accessories_details.aspx?pid=5203
J-red and husky dealers should have them in stock or they can get them.
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=70308&d=1209754820

====

Grandpatactor,
Can you post up a picture of that guide in use. I haveing a tough time visualizing how that is used .:confused:

Thanks, another grandpa

Back