Chain sharpening jig for sharpening in the field

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glennschumann

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
There are those who can sharpen a chain on the bar without a jig, and then there is me.

Because I wanted to keep my angles all equal, I made this jig that attaches to the bar with magnets glued to a piece of wood. Just put it on the far side of the bar, and let the edge of the file holder line up with the lines on the board (30 degrees on one side for cross cutting, 10 degrees on the other for ripping). Once you have sharpened one side, move the board to the other side of the bar, and sharpen the other cutters. That is why the board has lines in both directions. I started with a small jig with one line, but I had trouble aligning the cutter with the line on the jig, so I made the longer jig with lots of lines then I didn't worry about getting the cutter in just the right spot so I could line up the file holder.

The board is just short enough to fit in a drawer in my tool box, and the cut outs on the ends allow me to pick it up with my fingers. I used strong magnets that I got out of an old computer hard drive, but magnets from the bottom of the shower curtain will probably work just as well. Easier to explain to the spouse why the curtain billows around now, rather than why the computer doesn't work.

I like what you've done, but if I had the "guide board" pegged to the bar, I'd get rid of the file guide and just use the file. But that's just me.

Hey , good idea BM, I might be doing something similar.

I like what you've done, but if I had the "guide board" pegged to the bar, I'd get rid of the file guide and just use the file. But that's just me.

The file guide still has value in hold the file at the correct depth relative to the top of the cutter whereas a naked file will wander up, or down.

Try this one and start filling sq, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Later,

Last edited:
Not in the field...but I have guide lines painted on the jaws of my bench vice for just the same reason.

Job's a good'un. I have seen plastic ones made like this with guide lines on, but why not make your own.

Nice jig but I like GASoline71 aka Garys idea to bring a bunch of sharp chains to the woods and swap out. Then sharpen chains at home. :cheers:

The time you spent making that, was time you could have spent practicing sharping on a chain. j/k

I use to use an chain guide that let me set the angle, pitch, etc. But once I learned how to do it free hand and practice at it. I think it's so much easier.

I think if you sharpen enough chains even with guides you soon will get the hang of it and be able to do it free handed.

Good job on the guide btw.

Newb to sharpening and I like this idea. All the guides I bought, except the Oregon bar mount jig that I can't figure out, have 30 or 35 deg. angles.
Oregon specs. say to file my 72V chain at 25 deg. How to make 25 deg. lines if I made one of these magnetic boards ? I forget the triginometry(?) they taught me in school. I have a mitre box that has 22 1/2 deg. angle. Close enough ?

edit: Never mind. I found this http://ostermiller.org/calc/triangle.html
Ain't the 'net great ? Thanks again for the idea.

Last edited:
I have one of those jigs. I put the jig on and match the file to the cutter on the chain. I make make sure the file touches every part of the cutter and don't pay attention to the settings on the jig. If you chain isn't messed up than this will work.

I still think you can't beat free hand, once you learn how to sharpen.

Latest posts

Back