Chain Sharpening/Stihl Dealership clash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl doesn't make any files - but they surely sell Stihl branded 13/64 ones, I have a good supply of them!

It also is the best size for their 3/8" chain, if you use one size all the way. 7/32 also work well, at least for free-hand filing on a reasonably fresh chain (not filed back too much yet), but I question how well it works with the guide that is made for 13/64 ones - it may put less than optimal "hook" on the chain.

I have encountered about the same problem here, Stihl is not doing a good enough job at training their dealers......:biggrinbounce2:

:agree2: I dont use a guide to file but one other thing you will notice is a 13/64 file is easier to use on a new chain that has not been filed yet, not quite as tight a fit as the 7/32

I apologize, but this is a file question.

When do you know your file needs replaced. Obviously if it stops filing, but is there a general rule?

Apologize for interrupting the OP's original post...
Chris

Each chain model requires a different size file depending on model style, height,
and how far back it is sharpened, as those variables are different among brands and models.

It is important to hold the file up and observe, knowing the correct angle you are trying to achieve.

I like Stihl's wide range of sizes, because to get the correct angle at the correct time, takes a wide range of diameters.

If you don't really care, then you can contend that one size will work for all.

Here is a pic that illustrates my point.

The dealer is either uninformed or is dishonest.

If the former, he shouldn't be a Stihl dealer.

If the latter, he shouldn't get your business.

A dishonest dealer who just wants your money will lie to you just to make a sale. There's no reason to lie. All he had to do was explain that either size is acceptable for 3/8" pitch chain and why. That kind of salesman really rubs me the wrong way.

:angry2:

What you forget is that most dealers have never filed a chain in their life and rarely use saws, if at all.
All they do is grind and sell stuff.
When I wanted to buy a Stihl 7/32" file guide the guy in the Stihl shop tried to correct me saying that I can only use that file setup on a "big" saw (as in .404"). What a lot of Stihl dealers forget is that the 13/64" file is recommended on 3/8" chain only by Stihl, not anyone else.

30 and level is what they recommend for RSC, and it works well for me.

Yep. I've tried both and the difference is barely noticable, if at all. 0° is also easier for the eyeballs to replicate.

I use 7/32" files on Stihl chain and have no problems. One thing that myself and others have found when using the 7/32" Stihl file guide (and the Oregon), is that it won't sit the file down deep enough and you will get minimal hook. I have found the Vallorbe file guides work the best with 7/32" on 3/8" chain.

Shameless plug

Go on Bailey's website, order up a few boxes of Save Edge files, don't look back...You won't regret it.

it may just be easir to explain one file versus starting off with one then as the tooth gets worn switch to a bigger one.maybe the dealer does a hack job on their grinder so the tooth is 1/4 or more groung off makeing the 7/32 file work just fine.

btw i have more than enough half life chains that i prefer 7/32 than 13/64 as they seem a little sloppy.

there's only 0.3969mm difference of the 7/32 to 13/64 which I highly doubt anyone can tell with their naked eye, I could put some 7/32 files side by side with the 13/64 and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference without using a caliber tool and I don't think the wood cares much either....

I have an excellent Stihl dealer who also told me the 13/64" files were being phased out. No problem, I just bought all the he had in stock. I will continue to shop there whenever I have the slightest excuse to stop by.

I have an excellent Stihl dealer who also told me the 13/64" files were being phased out. No problem, I just bought all the he had in stock. I will continue to shop there whenever I have the slightest excuse to stop by.

Every man and their dog is still making 13/64" files. Maybe you'll have to buy files other than Stihl, which are made by Vallorbe anyway :D

:agree2: I dont use a guide to file but one other thing you will notice is a 13/64 file is easier to use on a new chain that has not been filed yet, not quite as tight a fit as the 7/32

That is true - I mostly use a 13/64 to get started, then change to 7/32, and then back to the 13/64 about halv way back on the tooth. If I was to use only one size on Stihl 3/8" chain, it would be 13/64 - like I said above.

..... One thing that myself and others have found when using the 7/32" Stihl file guide (and the Oregon), is that it won't sit the file down deep enough and you will get minimal hook. I have found the Vallorbe file guides work the best with 7/32" on 3/8" chain.

The same will happen if you use an unmodified Husky roller guide for LG/LP etc in RSC. That guide is easy to adjust though.....

The same will happen if you use an unmodified Husky roller guide for LG/LP etc in RSC. That guide is easy to adjust though.....

Yeah those guides look good mate. I've seen one in action and had a bit of a play. I like them :)

"I dont use a guide to file but one other thing you will notice is a 13/64 file is easier to use on a new chain that has not been filed yet, not quite as tight a fit as the 7/32"

+1

The first couple of times you sharpen the chain it may be somewhat difficult to get the 7/32" file in there.

Not really a big deal, and 7/32" is what I use here, and they work fine.

I would also not wait for the chains to get dull before sharpening them. It's a good practice to "touch" them up at each fill-up, or anytime you find yourself "pushing" the saw to make it cut effectively.

This helps the saw as it doesn't have to work as hard, and the chain will run straighter it the bar and not tend to wear it out as fast.

It's a good idea to start out with the file guide, but you will find at some point that you can toss it aside and do perfect work without it. Once you get the hand sharpening deal figured out, you can sharpen a chain, grease the roller nose, fill the gas/oil tanks, and get right back to cutting in less time than it took me to type this.........Cliff

I just bought a 13/64" file guide, #5605 750 4329 and a 3-pack of 13/64" files, #5605 773 5203 from my Stihl dealer, off the rack, no special order. That dealer doesn't want your business!

Sounds true to me! 7/32 will work however

Back