Chain sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've filed my own for 50 years.

Too much trouble to take the chain off the bar and set it up on the grinder.

I do file them sometimes off the chaisaw though not very often.

I can do some nice round filing.

I have always used a file, but had planned to buy a grinder, until I read a few posts on here........a few guys will use a grinder on customer chains, but prefer to use a file on their own saws. After I read that.....I decided to stay with the file.

Tony

I'm a glutton for punishment so I do both.

When the chain has hit something, or has become very dull I put it on the grinder
to take out the rounded part of the cutter. Then I get all my angles set and teeth even.

Then I use an over sized file and do a couple passes on each tooth to get them
razor sharp, and the proper amount of hook.

Last edited:
I have only filed chains to this point. I purchased a grinder recently. Don't want to say what brand since I am sensitive to being made fun of. Anyway, I don't have the grinder set up yet but when I get it working I have a dozen chains to sharpen with it. I had a bunch of dull loops that have never been sharpened. ie, new chains used until dulled.

I just rigged up a saw that can use them. It is going to be a 18" x .058 bar on a Jonsered 2172 so a bit short for a 71cc saw but it will make SawTroll and the other European short bar club happy.

I figure if I can make good use of the chains it will make purchasing that Jonsered worthwhile. I have a job in the morning of removing one medium size dead pine tree (lightning strike) and will buck some of it with the Jonsered. It is too much saw for the size of the tree but I haven't used the saw other than some test cutting in my scrap wood pile two days ago. I purchased the saw some months ago and still haven't wrung it out.

Been using the same Granberg filing guide for 35+ years. Keep looking, but never found a better way.

Best for cost, edge, chain longevity. End of story.

Only better way I can imagine is to have somebody else do my sharpening.

I grind with an Oregon 511a using a CBN cyclone wheel on 3/8 chain, and a Molemab wheel on .325. I use a NT knockoff of that same grinder for depth gauges using a 1/4" wheel. Works pretty well for me especially on chain dulled by dirt.

I'm sure some people can hand file them sharper, but I'm not one of them.

hand file. nothing fancy. I just file often to lightly touch up the edge as opposed to trying to bring it back from the dead. I do go to my local dealer and spend a few dollars to have them grind it when accidents happen. Like recently when I hit a buried gate hinge in a 30" elm.:msp_sad:

I file for (3) reasons:

1) If I don't try digging holes in the dirt, it only takes (3) strokes or so with a file = 10min max with bar in vice.

2) I like being able to not make a mistake with a file. I shake, I'm old, I can't see and a power tool in that close will hurt me.

3) I'm cheap, files are $5 ea - one time purchase.

luck,greg

Since I'm allowed free use of the grinder in the shop, I just use that. Filing becomes too time consuming with the majority of customer chains we see at work, people sure like to hit rocks, dirt, nails, run them backwards, file them all sorts of different angles and cut until theres nothing left for an edge.

I like to file at fueling or before the saw is put away. I grind when I hit something and to set the rakers. The grinder sets all of the rakers at the same height. The grinder evens out the length, on both sides, and resets the angles.

I hand filed for a while then stole my Dads 12 volt Granberg. Its kind of the best of both world. I only cut for a half day each weekend with two saws so I dull one or two chains on each saw then get them razor sharp after work during the week. I still pay the shop to grind the chain it I do major damage. I really like the diamond stones.

Unless it is for someone else, I will not even screw with round files. The extra time spent pays dividends in the woods, for me at least. Having 3 or 4 sharp chains every day makes for a lot of work without a grinder though. .

Latest posts

Back