Chain shortening ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wicked500R

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I need to shorten a chain by 2 drive links... How is this done? Any special tools required? I never did this before... Thanks

A chain breaker to take it apart, and a spinner to secure the new rivet. Bailey's online has breakers and spinners - you can check them out to see what they look like and also check their prices for an idea of the costs involved.

If you do a search on this forum you will find a few good threads that discuss some of the things that you have to watch out for.

For a one-time deal it will probably be easier to take it to a local shop and have them do it for a couple of bucks or even free if you have a good relationship with them.

HTH

I can't grind the rivet heads off to break it and then reassemble with a new link. kind of like doing a motorcycle chain?

Here's my $0.02 on that ....

If a motorcycle chain breaks - you have to walk.

If a chainsaw chain breaks - maybe you never walk again?

... yeah, maybe I'm just a chicken. :D

Here's my $0.02 on that ....

If a motorcycle chain breaks - you have to walk.

If a chainsaw chain breaks - maybe you never walk again?

... yeah, maybe I'm just a chicken. :D

Your absolutely correct! If you seen my other thread, I had a 24" chain snap like twine...luckily it got caught up in the stump I was cutting and not around my leg. I'm just asking these questions because I dunno how it's done. I know there is special tools to do alot of things but there are many ways to skin a cat.

Your absolutely correct! If you seen my other thread, I had a 24" chain snap like twine...luckily it got caught up in the stump I was cutting and not around my leg. I'm just asking these questions because I dunno how it's done. I know there is special tools to do alot of things but there are many ways to skin a cat.

yes cat skinning you can do with a grinder and tools you have around the house, i like a sharp knife, and a good set of pliers, to grab hold of the skin, that slips out of my fingers

yes cat skinning you can do with a grinder and tools you have around the house, i like a sharp knife, and a good set of pliers, to grab hold of the skin, that slips out of my fingers

unless you are saving the hide, you can just cut little slits in the fur and use them to grip with. Just don't cut them too close to the edge of the fur or they'll rip too easily.

sincerely,

unless you are saving the hide, you can just cut little slits in the fur and use them to grip with. Just don't cut them too close to the edge of the fur or they'll rip too easily.

sincerely,

if used for a jacket liner no big deal, but if used for the outer shell, i per-fur your method

I can't grind the rivet heads off to break it and then reassemble with a new link. kind of like doing a motorcycle chain?

Yep,
Actually you can. Grind the rivets down & remove, re-assemble with a new tie strap & pre-set, then use a small ball-pien hammer to form new rivet heads.

But it would be a lot easier to just take it to the dealer.

Andy

Latest posts

Back