chain size consolidation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ftm

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Gots me a Stihl 028wb with 20"bar, .325" spur sprocket and a Stihl 360 with 18" bar, 3/8" rim sprocket. What I am thinking is it would be nice to be able to only have one width of chain that I could run on both saws. Also, wouldn't it make more sense to run a smaller bar on the 028 and a larger on the 360 if I went same width?
I don't know which way to go with the chains. At the moment I have 3 18" 3/8" chains. The 028 I believe would need a $50 rim sprocket kit to run the 3/8"(apparently that size is not offered in a spur) while the 360 would only need a rim sprocket to run .325". Either way I would also need a bar.
Best way to go?
I am still a newb to this so straighten my ignorant ass out.

Gots me a Stihl 028wb with 20"bar, .325" spur sprocket and a Stihl 360 with 18" bar, 3/8" rim sprocket. What I am thinking is it would be nice to be able to only have one width of chain that I could run on both saws. Also, wouldn't it make more sense to run a smaller bar on the 028 and a larger on the 360 if I went same width?
I don't know which way to go with the chains. At the moment I have 3 18" 3/8" chains. The 028 I believe would need a $50 rim sprocket kit to run the 3/8"(apparently that size is not offered in a spur) while the 360 would only need a rim sprocket to run .325". Either way I would also need a bar.
Best way to go?
I am still a newb to this so straighten my ignorant ass out.
you've only listed pitch there - width is normally called gauge (0.050, 0.058 or 0.063), and hopefully they're both the same...
I've used an 028 and while a nice saw is not really suited to 20" (WAY behind an 036 power (and cc) wise). 20" is way too long for it, 16" is more like it. The 360 would be fine with 20", it's a pretty good size I reckon. Having said that, 18" would I'm sure suit even better - assuming you're cutting hardwoods.

It would prefer 3/8 as well, while sticking to 325 is good for the 028. If you can be bothered having two file sizes, I'd stick with the 325/3/8 mix. Otherwise run 3/8 on the 028. Basically, I'd leave the 360 how it is and get a 16" B&C for the 028. But you would be able to get a 3/8 spure sprocket for the 028, even though rim is cheaper (and better) in the long run.

I went to 3/8 on both my 026 (16" bar) and 036 Pro (20" bar) to simplify chain maintenance chores. My Jred 2186 (24" bar) is also set up with 3/8 50 pitch. Same chain different drive link count so maintaining requires no changes to the grinder.

.05 guage on the 360 with .325 and .063 on the 028 with 3/8 as they are set up now. Mainly hardwood like oak.
Important to simplify stuff, match bars/chains to saws for optimal usage. If one saw craps out or all chains become dull I can swap them from other saw and finish that job.

I don't think stihl offers the 3/8 spur for the 028. They have the rim spocket kit and of course rims.

Last edited:
Yes, both are same .05 guage. Mainly hardwood like oak.
Important to simplify stuff, match bars/chains to saws for optimal usage. If one saw craps out or all chains become dull I can swap them from other saw and finish that job.

I don't think still offers the 3/8 spur for the 028. They have the rim spocket kit and of course rims.
yeah looks like you're right - no 3/8 spur for the 028 (they share clutches with the 032 and 041, but not drums). That's because they think it hasn't got the power for 3/8, and they're probably right... But I guess sometimes you have to make sacrifices for convenience.

yeah looks like you're right - no 3/8 spur for the 028 (they share clutches with the 032 and 041, but not drums). That's because they think it hasn't got the power for 3/8, and they're probably right... But I guess sometimes you have to make sacrifices for convenience.

Yes, but Stihl list all the specs for using 3/8 with that saw.

Latest posts

Back