chain size question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old guy

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I recently picked up an incomplete 346xp to build and the chain fits the .325 sprocket and the .325 bar but has very small teeth, these cutters are almost gone but there is a little life left in them but there is no way I can sharpen them with a 3/16 file, a 1/8 works fine. Is this a narrow kerf .325 chain? Philbert?

Could just be sharpened way back? Oregon gets really small toward the end of the cutter's life. And the cutters on the older 20-series (~10 years ago?) seemed smaller to me than the current 20-series chain's cutters. Come to think of it, I recall using a smaller file in the field on the Oregon stuff back then, with good results.

With rare exception, if it's round-filed chisel, it's not NK chain. If it's .058/.063 gauge, it's likely not NK chain; I've only ever seen NK as .050.

Any pics of the chain in question?

Yeah, it is sharped way back and is semi chis., the drivers are .058 and have k2 stamped on them, it's a carlton chain if these old eyes are reading right.

John

'K2' generally means Carlton, .325 pitch, .058 gauge chain:

http://content.yudu.com/A25sb5/Carlton2013-14Catlog/resources/index.htm
Screen shot 2014-10-13 at 2.23.26 PM.png
It does not look like they currently offer narrow kerf .325 in anything other than .050 (but you never know what they might have offered at some time, even if it was not in their catalog!).

My guess, from your description, is just that the cutters are just ground/filed back to the point that they are smaller in height and width. If a 3/16" file is too big, I would go to a 5/32" file. 1/8" would be pretty small.

Philbert

P.S. Hard to see in this photo, but Carlton narrow kerf chain is supposed to be stamped 'NK' on the the tie straps.

Screen shot 2014-10-13 at 2.31.32 PM.png

Thanks for the replys Guys. Philbert, I thought you would have all this info and you didn't let me down, I just went out and miked my small file and it is a 5/32, I been calling it 1/8 fer a while.

John

Those 1/8 files are hard to find, only chain that calls for it is stihl .043 ga micro-picco. If it is NK, 3/16" is still the correct file. If 5/32 works, use it. Time for a new chain!!!

Like Redoakneck said it's time too retire this chain, but it came on a saw and I was curious about the small size and now I have lernt some stuff about files n chains from them what got more schoolhousen than Me

John

It's odd that Oregon recommends 5/32 inch diameter files for their type 91 chain ( 3/8 low profile), and slightly larger, 4.5 mm diameter files for their type 90 chains, (3/8 low profile, narrow kerf). Cutter height must be different.

Around here, I can find 5/32 files anywhere, but 11/64, or 4.5 mm files are much harder to find. Have to order those.

In a pinch, I might use any of the 3 file sizes on one of those chains.

Philbert

Back