Chain Storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have mine on my peg boards all lined out by length. They're also separated by whether they're dull or sharp. I typically clean them before hanging them up. Some cleaning solution or in a parts washer etc. They are stored in my saw shop which is small but not heated so cleaning them keeps the parts moving and not stiff etc when I'm not in there keeping it warm

Hung on screws on the chainsaw shelf. Chains to be sharpened are on a screw near the vise. Chains coming to the woods are in tupperware with a slosh of whatever oil I have handy.

I tried several methods. Keeping them in original boxes, but they don’t last as long. Then zip lock bags with slips of paper of for the size. Now they are all on a peg board organized by length and bars are next to them with sharp and separated. I realize I only need two or three chains when I go out sawing. And only two lengths usually. 20 and 24”. I used to bring a whole crap load of stuff with me to the woods or fence line and it ended up not getting used and just a waist of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coat em in oil and hang em on a nail.

If you haven't got a pegboard or room for hanging chains get yourself a plastic container and toss the chain in there coated with oil. I would't store a metal chain in a metal container.

I use a small tupperware container that holds several sharp chains, one for each size and they are stackable. It's not your typical tupperware, it's pretty thick plastic, should hold up a long time. Once they need to be sharpened, I hang them on a nail on my sharpening area. Of course, I don't deal with a big amount of chains either

Then zip lock bags with slips of paper of for the size.
This seems to be my method at the present time. Kind of roll up the chain and squeeze out the air. Quart ziploc freezer bags have a nice white area that can be written on and eliminates the problem of the scrap of cardboard or paper getting in with the writing flipped toward the chain. Quite convenient to take the chains into the field. If they are not used they are still as clean as before.

Then various containers plastic coffee containers of the 280 cup size or blow molded 1.7 gallon planting containers, or similar container, for different pitch and possibly gauge as well for one pitch. These generally can nest unless they are basically full, can even stick in an appropriate file and guide if desired.

It's rare I have an extra chain that isn't totally worn out or that isn't something someone gave me after finding it in the trunk of Great Uncle Ernies '72 Chevelle that's been sitting in a field since Jimmuh Carta was Prez. They get hung on a nail and generally stay there until I get really desperate or scrap prices take a big jump. Thinking on it, I have exactly 1 new bar and new/spare chain on the place and that was intended for my Sachs 133 that's in serious need of a piston and jug. I guess I don't have Chainsaw CHAIN Collectors Disease!

Nails on the walls. All mixed up in no particular order. I can tell what they are after I look at them for a second [emoji1787]. [emoji2373]

I sharpen chains when they are on the saw.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Thanks guys. I was just curious. My system consists of a milk crate which contains my fuel can, 1 gal jug of bar oil, wedges, grease gun, screnches and a few spare chains for my 55 and 372. I think i also keep a pair of fencing pliers and a flat screwdriver as well, and a red shop rag.

For me it works pretty well, but the cardboard boxes the chains live in suffer a tough life. Just looking for something a bit more durable without taking up more room.

In the shop I hang chains on lag screws.

For on the job I carry chains each one wrapped in a shop rag in a small metal ammo box.

I mostly sharpen chains on the saw so there is not a lot of chain changing going on.

I try to keep all my chains and files in this plastic tool box. Sharpened chains go in factory boxes or zip lock bags. I swap dull chains in the field and leave them on top of the box until I get time to sharpen them at home.

Attachments

• 20201216_140736.jpg
    20201216_140736.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 20
  • 20201216_140759.jpg
    20201216_140759.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 20
  • 20201216_140916.jpg
    20201216_140916.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
Thanks!
I've asked my better half to get me something like that, but she just gives me these cheap disposable sammich containers with the red snap on lids... they don't last long at all. She says that's all there is.
Next time I'm at Wally World I'll have to look myself I guess!

Back