Chain that is to HARD to sharpen...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoorlivin247

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just spent over an hour in the garage trying to sharpen a chain that the cutters on the right side are so hard and slick a file will not touch them...I tried cleaning it w/ oven cleaner and heating it w/ a small propane torch and still can't get a file to sharpen it...Trying to save this chain on an 064 I am working on for a guy that does not want to put any money into...Any ideas would be great...

Sometimes they get that way. Get a new file and make a couple of passes on each tooth, need to get that hardened metal out of there, it's usually not too deep, just enough to keep the file from biting. You can go back to your old file or keep using the new one.

Mark

Get a new file, or put your old file in vinegar over night to re sharpen it and try again in the morning. Getting it ground is the last option. Good luck

I tried a brand new Stihl and a brand new Oregan file...It makes no sense b/c the left side was fine?:dizzy:

Don't own a grinder, but I have got my eyes on a Belsaw in a friend of mines shop...:monkey:

Last edited:
New file and lean on it - cut aggressively to get beneath the hardened surface.

I have the same problem machining many types of stainless - machines fine with an aggressive cut, but work hardens rapidly if I try to sneak up on a final measurement... grrr...

Heck, just snap the part of the file off that's supposed to go into the handle and stick it into a air powered die grinder at 25k rpm and file away!

Just kiddin, although a friend did try it, ruined the chain and file. No real surprise.

Back