Chain tight in one place, loose in another

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete031

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone have an issue with a new chain? I can adjust it the way I like it, move the chain halfway around and it’s too loose. Brand new Stihl RM 3/8 chain from local saw shop.

I've heard of a .325 chain coming out with a 3/8 link in it by mistake.

I've never seen it personally, but I'm sure it happens every once in a while. I'm not sure if one odd link would cause it to bind in the sprockets or not...

Anyone have an issue with a new chain? I can adjust it the way I like it, move the chain halfway around and it’s too loose. Brand new Stihl RM 3/8 chain from local saw shop.

Is it one somebody built? A rivet too tight. So when it goes loose the tight rivet is either at the spur or the nose? When you pull the chain through, is there a link or two that stand up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've heard of a .325 chain coming out with a 3/8 link in it by mistake.

I've never seen it personally, but I'm sure it happens every once in a while. I'm not sure if one odd link would cause it to bind in the sprockets or not...
It is a chain they put together for me from their roll. It only is loose in two spots as I move the chain, so I don’t think it’s a drive sprocket issue. I’ll check for an odd link

The master link is .375 so that’s not it, I’ll try the new sprocket and see if it’s better. Thank guys!

I was also going to ask if you had changed the rim at the same time but I guess not in this case. I ran into that trying to save a penny and getting a knock off brand, learned my lesson fast because the new rim was out of round and was doing the same thing you are talking about only it was happening each time the rim came around.
I didn’t think so at first because it is only noticeably loose at one spot around the whole chain, but paying more attention as I move the chain I can feel a tighter spot on each rotation of the sprocket. I think you guys nailed it!

New to me saw, a nice but used 359. Brand new tsumara bar and brand new chain. There’s only a couple things it could be and I think Vintage Engine Repairs and loston are right. Just for fun I’ll try the other chain I have for it, but it’ll get a sprocket either way.

Definitely a little worn

Attachments

• 76228EE6-D076-42A2-AC99-24611BBDF153.jpeg
    76228EE6-D076-42A2-AC99-24611BBDF153.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
Check to see if a couple of links on that chain are stiff and don’t move well at the rivet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

first off, sprocket is fine, or its not worn out, think I've only actually worn out 1 drive sprocket, took 5 years of timber falling. it could have some shmoo in it though.

Second and more important, has this chain been on the shelf for awhile?, if so it could have some crusty links that aren't quite running smooth. if so, carefully getting it moving as in run the piss out of it on the saw, doesn't take long 30 sec will do, don't actually try to cut anything, just get the links broke free, then try and retention the chain.

IF that don't fix it, you got something else going on, pinched bar rails? dinged nose sprocket, bent crank on the saw (bent cranks can happen, and suck when they do, generally from getting saw pinched then reefing on it to get it free)

I have an old Husqvarna 50 that does that too. Tried different rims, different bars and chains, still does it. I believe I slightly bent the end of crankshaft years ago pulling on it too hard after I got it stuck. Back then it was my only saw and I didn't know any better.

On my first saw,, the dealer "forgot" to tell me about greasing the nose,,
that was a REAL fright after wearing out about one to two chains,, all sorts of weird chain bumps and stoppages,,
until I figured out the nose needed grease,,, (no internet back then ,, I was on my "own"!)

Now I have a Stihl,, and EVERY time I put fuel in it,, I am looking for a hole to grease the nose,,
Of course, the hole is not there,, but , I seem to look for it anyways,,
I switched to Stihl over a decade ago,, I am STILL looking for the hole,,,,,,,,,,,,,, LOL!! :laugh:

I had this same issue on a new 151 I bought from a dealer this year that the kid putting it together left the bar loose and started it up. It messed the new factory chain up, and they didn’t have a factory chain in a box to replace it with, so they built me one. It bound up like your describing, I so I got to looking real closely and found the kid that built the new chain put the master link in upside down. The bottom of the link(side that goes against the bar) is notched out so it clears around the tip of the bar. The top side of the link is not notched out like the bottom, and it will bind when going around the tip.

Back