Chain Tool - Break and Mend

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just looking for a cost effective means on changing the length of my chains. I get my chains once used from a rental shop. They're all 84DL and I need to chain them to either 71 or 92 for my use. Those from Baileys are a better option at that price. I saw them in use last week and they're nice.

Buy the next level... bench mounted brelker and spinner.

The hand tool is for the truck and field. Sure you can use it for more, but it's a pita for more than occassional use.

I've posted this before but here goes again. I like the B&M. I can shorten a chain while I'm sitting on the tractor waiting for the next move or I can do the same during a drink break. Our summer job lasts about 6 weeks and we are runnining chains in a very sandy abrasive environment. The chains strech like crazy, sometimes a new chain needs to be shortened in just a few hours. The B&M does the trick in the field. I also have a punch and anvil in the bottom of the tool box and we have a bench breaker and a spinner mounted to a plank in the gang box.

I've got a bench mounted breaker & spinner in the shed, and a break-N-mend in the tool box. They each have their place, but I tend to avoid using the break-N-mend. It's a good tool, but more difficult to use than the bench mount.

Andy

The bench mount stuff can be portable too. I mounted mine on an 20" 2x12 that can be c-clamped anywhere. We were making chains at the GTG in the field with bench mount tools. Worked perfect. And if I'm really out in the field I've got a large vise mounted on a receiver tube that plugs in the back of the tractor that allows me even more versatility.

Bill , you do have a nice set up going for you making up chain anywhere. :bowdown:

Just wondering if any new toys have arrived. :cheers:

Just wondering if any new toys have arrived.

I was salivating over it showing today and it didn't at least before I left for work. Brent tracked it and said the site showed it in my town. Delivery usually shows around noon hr. Maybe the holidays has backed them up. Hoping to see it there when I get home!!!:biggrinbounce2:

Latest posts

Back