chainbrake off of 162,166,188... would any fit a jonsered 630 west coast?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamess191

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just picked up a jonsered 630 west coast in great condition but it is missing the chain brake flag and internals. Does any body know if a chain brake off of a Husqvarna 162 or 166 or 188 or even 266 or 288 fit? I cant seem to find any used ones and a few people have told me they are no longer available and hard to come by. I have to run the chainbrakes so I am OSHA compliant when I am using them on the job. I dont know why all the used 80s saws that I get are always missing the chainbrakes.....

i do believe anything from 162-272 husky will fit and 625-670 jred IIRC. someone can correct me if i'm wrong. been a few years since i worked on these steady.

Short answer, no.

The are at least two different types of chain brake setups. If it has the aluminum tube brake flag from a Husq versus the plastic flag screwed to a metal rod (Jons)that will need the brake band with the metal half rod riveted to the steel band to engage the brake locks. If it has the later entirely plastic flag then it needs single piece steel band that is commonly availible. To the best of my knowledge the actual bands swap between the Husq and Jonsered. I have 670s with both styles as well as 268s, with the Husq setup on the 268s and the Jons on the 670s. They do not cleanly swap between brands as whole units. May not have been originals however that is what they had on them when I got them.

The chain brake flags are different because of the angle of the front handle bars, angled on the Husq and straight on the Jonsered. Not sure if it would qualify being not the same as stock OEM if the flag angle does not match handle angle. The brake covers are different as well and the Husq does not fit correctly on the Jonsered, vice versa. It can be made to but not sure if it will qualify as compliant after being modified.

My experience has been no mods and only OEM with regards to compliance on safety devices however never had to worry about chainsaws, just other types of saws.

Also, once broken few were replaced unless they had to be and some folks chopped them cause they were those folks. Jonsered brake parts are getting hard for me to find.

In both brands the newer style complete setup will work on the older saws or reverse it just needs to be Husq to Husq and Jons to Jons.

Latest posts

Back