Chains for a backhoe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenmai

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Spring is coming and once the snow is gone (if ever), I want to return to clearing the land. Mainly clean the old over grown logging trails and hall logs from the back to the front for fire wood. I might cut & split the wood on location then haul in the bucket.

I'm in southern NH (not far from RCS Landscaping I think) and even months after the snow is gone, part of my property is still wet. All the snow this year isn't going to help matters.

I have an old ('81) Ford 555, TLB, 2WD. The engine is strong and trani is rebuilt. The tires are OK but not great. I'm considering putting chains on the back tires for better traction and to extend the life of the tires. It seems everything for the backhoe is expensive and I'm not sure it will be worth it.

"Will the chains noticeably increase the traction?"

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Check real close to see if there is adequate clearance for chains. Outrigger cylinder and strut, Fender, Cab, etc.

Frank

Ken,
By no means am I a logger, but maybe it would be benefitial to both you and Rob if some form of deal were worked out? Something like, you cut the trees down, Rob comes in with his skidder and hauls them out for timber once every now and again. Less work for you, less investment.

Ken,

I would think 2wd would be the limiting traction factor , but then again I'm not all that mechanically inclined.

I've had great success with my 4wd skidder/pick-up. I'm on the NH border near Rindge, where in NH are you at?

Last edited:
chains an backhoe

I had a backhoe like yours, what helped with the traction was new tires, they will help a lot, as far as chains they will do ok until they get packed with mud, they are for getting traction or to keep a tire from spinning, if it ever does spin in mud it will spin down quicker and will probably get you stuck quicker and worse.

Thanks for the replys. I'm in Milford. I live close (too close) to Chapell Tractor. Its' a tractor dealership and unfortunately I can get everything I need there :(. I don't know what the prices are, but I'm betting that the chains would cost just as much as new tires. I've been stuck a few times and have always been able to get out using the backhoe. I don't much care for lifting the back wheels off the ground though. My butt cheeks get sore from being puckered :D.

If anyone is in this area and has it in their heart to show me the tricks of the trade (refering to the backhoe), I'm sure we could work something out. So far what I know is from reading the manual and trial and error.

Again, thanks for the replys,

Ken

" I don't much care for lifting the back wheels off the ground though. My butt cheeks get sore from being puckered :D."

Must be a new operator!:D I've been in some spots with a Bobcat excavator where the pucker factor was high for me, but mainly when I was new to the machine.... You'll get used to it over time. If the hydraulics are good, and you get it stuck to the point of not being able to get out using the bucket or backhoe, well, you were somewhere you shouldn't have been!

I checked the TSC catalog for tire chains for my Allis WD last fall, the cheapest I saw was around $200-250. And I imagine my tires are MUCH skinnier than yours. I don't know how much new tires cost for your backhoe, but I would wiegh the cost of new tires vs. chains and go from there. New tires will help emensely (did I spell that right?), maybe more than chains. Chains will also wear out tires faster on hard surfaces too. If you have a rear diffferential lock, you can probably get 75-80% of the places that a 4wd can.

Dan

It's definitely the "new operator" syndrome. I remember the first time I was driving it and I went over a 2x4 that was laying flat. I thought I was going to tip over for sure!:laugh: I'm much better now. I've learned to swing the boom around to change the center of gravity, and I keep reminding myself that the math says it's HARD to tip something 7 feet wide over (Not counting slopes, and using the backhoe full extent to the side). When it's the slightest bit rough, I still drive around with the backhoe's pedestals down like pontoons (though I've been teased about using training wheels).:p

It's crazy. I've been repelling, spelunking, boating in a 14' boat in 15' seas, mountain climbing, cliff diving, and even had a 10' mako shark swim up on me on a night dive when I was spear fishing. Then there was all the fun stuff the Marine Corps had me do. None made me pucker as much as the feeling of tipping over in the backhoe, while driving over a 2x4! Getting old sucks.

I do have a locking differential. I'll see if there are any deals around on tires.

Ken

Ken,

Don't worry about it you'll get used to it very fast and won't need the training wheels anymore;)What size tires does it have I maybe able to get you a good deal on some new ones??Send me a email when you get a chance.

Later Rob.

Back