Chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilpig

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So no that I got my 041 Stihl running, I'm looking to get a second chain. I have a 25" bar. I know that I can get one from Home Depot but are they good. And are there different kind of chains for different jobs? I cut 8-10 cords a wood just for me and a little for a friend. Can a get a chain that will cut faster? I keep them razor sharp and sharpen as I go.

lilpig said:
So no that I got my 041 Stihl running, I'm looking to get a second chain. I have a 25" bar. I know that I can get one from Home Depot but are they good. And are there different kind of chains for different jobs? I cut 8-10 cords a wood just for me and a little for a friend. Can a get a chain that will cut faster? I keep them razor sharp and sharpen as I go.

My friend, my .02 cents worth,

Stihl, RSK

Carlton, or the Baileys equivalant

Stihl on backwards

Carlton on backward

Then next I would run Oreogon

If you can afford it, get a shorter bar. An 18" or 20" would be better with that saw.

Ed

Why shorter

The specs on that bar say it can handle up to 32". My buddy has a 20" on the same one and it does run great and cut great. My problem with his is the farm I'm cutting trees down has huge and I mean huge trees. The ones I'm cutting are about 4' at the base. His 20" was giving me a hard time. Why do you suggest a shorter one for that saw?

Many people that are cutting for themselves don't mess with big trees.
I assumed this was the case with you. My mistake.
If you need the longer bar, use it.

Personally, I never liked our old 041, it had a 20" bar & I felt that was about all I would ever put on that particular saw. I couldn't stand the vibration either, my hands would go numb in about 3 minutes.

Ed

There's also nothing wrong with having the right size bar and chain for the job. Of course you could make it make it more fun and get more than one saw for the job.

Lilpig

Having picked up on an Operators Ethic , there is a chance you would be giving that saw it's final tune to whatever bar/chain combo you run, 041's a workhorse of a saw and would run 3 feet of skip-tooth chain without complaining much. There are so many 041's that if a person started buying old bones for spare parts, that for just a few bucks, they would be able to maintain a fleet of them for chump-change.

If your in a lot of big wood, pay attention to how tall your depth gauges are running, as a tall DG can keep the chain speed up. As for me, I run what bars I have as I never seen a bar get newer hanging on a nail in the shed.

Homeless Depot sells Oreogone chain, it's rare to find a huge fan of it here, and fewer here that can dispute Stihl chain as top shelf chain, But I do run Carlton chain, it's a little more "Filer-Friendly"

Be very careful of that "buy another saw trick" as there are many here that have been duped, and it's contagious!

ED*L, Was your 041 an AV? I have run both and agree non AV models vibrate more then enough. A few hours of running the AV have been no problem with me. Maintnence plays a big role on vibes starting with the chain and sprocket. Running a new chain on an old sprocket or the opposite causes excess vibes and puts more strain on your dampening system. Maintaining these parts and keeping screws tight help reduce vibration.
Skiptooth chain will pull easier through the big stuff with the 041, non skip might be a bit smoother.

The only flaw I've seen on the 041 is the vibration and the inablity to keep screws tight. Lock tight will be your new best friend and a 5mm alan wrench or a t-27 torx. Stihl chain is a good brand chain but the other brands will be easier to maintain. The saw will certainly run a 20" if you run a 24" I'd use a skip tooth chain Oregon JG , Stihl RMF, or carlton(?). :greenchainsaw:

I would recommend total chain. I've used a lot of different brands, total keeps and edge longer. I cut alot of oak and hickory and I can run all day with one chain, give it about three strokes of the file/tooth and its ready for another day, that is of course you keep it out of the dirt. One of the big problem with these trees is that sand collects under the shag bark(hickory) and in the cracks of the oak. Some of the cheaper chain wears out quickly in this environment. You can get a 20'' loop for around $25.:cheers:

toolfreak said:
I would recommend total chain. I've used a lot of different brands, total keeps and edge longer. I cut alot of oak and hickory and I can run all day with one chain, give it about three strokes of the file/tooth and its ready for another day, that is of course you keep it out of the dirt. One of the big problem with these trees is that sand collects under the shag bark(hickory) and in the cracks of the oak. Some of the cheaper chain wears out quickly in this environment. You can get a 20'' loop for around $25.:cheers:

I always think it is so strange. I can pick up a 20" loop for 12-14 bucks. Here in Michigan
I like the total chain too. I use two saws for firewood mostly one for emergencies. like bar getting stuck
Right now I 'm running a total chain on one and an oregon Chain on the other.
cutting on the same tree. I have to dress the oregon more often.

I believe that there is a hidden charge that incurs when you stand in the shop while the dealer is making your chains and you drink all the coffee. ha ha

Full comp RSC or RS chain... The 041 has the power/torque to pull a full comp chain on a 24 bar, and you don't need a rough (er) ride...

Back