Chainsaw 2 Cycle Oil Poll

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite Chainsaw 2 Cycle Oil

• Echo Gold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Echo Red Armor

Votes: 27 35.5%
  • Husqvarna XP+

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Husqvarna HP

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Amsoil Dominator

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • Amsoil Saber

Votes: 15 19.7%
  • VP

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Stihl HP Ultra (Silver)

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • Stihl High Performance (Orange)

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Lucas

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hmmm... No liquid to liquid oil coolers on these machines:...
View attachment 1129633

every one of those machines has a liquid to liquid oil cooler built into the engine. Idk what you think you're trying to prove, but you're most certainly wrong about oil pan being much of any cooling factor in liquid cooled engines.

You don't really think I just grabbed pictures off the internet and posted them, do you? That is a Deutz air cooled engine in a Deutz-Allis tractor.
https://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/003/1/7/3176-deutz-allis-9190-engine.html

Do you really want me to prove that the other machines have an air cooled engine in them too?

Now can we all stop looking for stuff to argue about, and perhaps focus on learning about what is going on and how stuff works?

We're arguing because you're just flat out wrong.
Edit: save the agco, which has a huge oil cooler built into the engine.
The crusher uses a volvo engine, which has a liquid to liquid oil cooler in the side of the block.

https://www.forconstructionpros.com...roduct/10082584/rr-equipment-co-rebel-crusher
"The 18-ton Rebel Crusher features a high-output Deutz Diesel engine"​

Nope. You call me wrong, I say you are wrong, since I only claimed a machine with an air cooled engine. I never alleged that every Rebel crusher has the same engine. I showed you a picture of a machine that comes with a Deutz air cooled engine. Read the proof above.
Did I look up the statistics on that Deutz engine? No. Could it actually be water cooled? Maybe. My orginal point was only that there are lots of machines that have air-cooled oil, and liquid to liquid oil cooling is not the only option. I think that point has been made adequately.

Where does this thread come out ahead with all this silly quibbling? What is your point? That I might be wrong somewhere, sometime? Hell. I'm wrong about stuff on a daily basis. I try to learn from my mistakes, however. If you really want me to, I can start sending you notices about all my mistakes, 'cause I make LOTS of them.

https://www.forconstructionpros.com...roduct/10082584/rr-equipment-co-rebel-crusher
"The 18-ton Rebel Crusher features a high-output Deutz Diesel engine"​

Nope. You call me wrong, I say you are wrong, since I only claimed a machine with an air cooled engine. I never alleged that every Rebel crusher has the same engine. I showed you a picture of a machine that comes with a Deutz air cooled engine. Read the proof above.
Did I look up the statistics on that Deutz engine? No. Could it actually be water cooled? Maybe. My orginal point was only that there are lots of machines that have air-cooled oil, and liquid to liquid oil cooling is not the only option. I think that point has been made adequately.

Where does this thread come out ahead with all this silly quibbling? What is your point? That I might be wrong somewhere, sometime? Hell. I'm wrong about stuff on a daily basis. I try to learn from my mistakes, however. If you really want me to, I can start sending you notices about all my mistakes, 'cause I make LOTS of them.
Go read my post 261, where i clearly say
"Hence the need for liquid to liquid heat exchangers. Or in the case of some air cooled diesels, oil to air heat exchangers. Deutz comes ro mind off the top of my head for air cooled."

Your very next post was a bunch of bs trying to prove what point? The oil pan being a primary cooling device for oil. To which I call bs. Every verified air-cooled deutz engine you or anyone else posted about, I've very quickly showed they all have oil cooler. Which up until that specific post we were talking about automotive engines, then medium and heavy duty to which I spoke very specifically about water cooled engine with a brief mention about deutz engines specifically.
I even went as far to look up your rock crusher (I was unable to find any mention of any air-cooled engines, or deutz engines in their machine) and the agco tractor.
Even if the crusher you have listed, does have an air-cooled deutz it will still have an oil cooler. You want pictures of the bf6L series oil coolers? It's a pretty fricken big oil cooler hidden under the air shroud. Kinda hard to miss it.
I made all my points plenty long ago, you just can't let the oil pan playing major role in cooling oil go.

You want pictures of the bf6L series oil coolers? It's a pretty fricken big oil cooler hidden under the air shroud.

I might be wrong, but I think that one is technically a liquid cooled engine.
[EDIT: nope. Not that particular series]​

Deutz does this neat trick where they use a supersized oil cooler with a high volume oil pump and special oil passages in the engine to transfer heat. Instead of a water jacket, they have an oil jacket.

They have a separate engine lubrication pump, although they both run off the common oil sump.
No! I've never owned one, and I never turned a wrench on one, so clearly my comments are invalid.
Oil cooled engines have been around for a long time, too. This one ran on kerosine.
1700693821265.png

Notice that the radiator is huge. Oil doesn't transmit as much heat as water, so the heat exchangers need to be bigger.

I don't think it has either one, I'll check and get back to you.

Keep in mind, I said it doesn't have a "huge" oil cooler, and it doesn't.

SR
Without the serial number and a call I'm just guessing off the parts book I have and what I could find for superceded numbers. I'd be quite surprised if it didn't have a cooler at all.

None of the above 😆
I found a new oil I am trying out. I guarantee no one on this entire site is using this or has ever used or probably ever heard of it:

http://www.recpower.com/bluemax.htm
BlueMax 2 Cycle Aviation Engine Oil

ISO Rated EG-D+
Less smoke
Cooler temperatures
Cleaner crankcase
No sticking rings
No fouled plugs
Increased power
Ratios to 100:1
Fuel stores longer
Less pollutants
Less oily mess from the exhaust system
Engine life increased
100% mineral based, none of the unfavorable attributes of synthetic oil, no solvents added as in 50:1 oils
Less carbon build up than 50:1 oils

^ Ignore the "100:1" claim. I'm using this at 24:1 right now. This stuff has amazing throttle response at that ratio (using VP C9 gas). No spooge dripping out of mufflers, only the outside edge of muffler exhaust is slightly wet with oil. Extremely low smoke at that ratio, hard to see it at all even in sunlight. Has very low, unobjectionable odor burning. By comparison another exceptional pure dino oil I have is Pennzoil Air Cooled, and Blue Max generate far less odor, whether it protects the same, worse, or better I have no idea. Blue Max is not pre-diluted like almost all oils so in that regard 24:1 could be more like 20, or 18:1 in reality. Also the solvent package in most oils obviously are not lubricants.

I don't like that they make a 100:1 claim like Amsoil does with Saber, but I just ignore that and do things the way that hundreds of others have testified to for engine longevity and power.

I found a new oil I am trying out. I guarantee no one on this entire site is using this or has ever used or probably ever heard of it:

http://www.recpower.com/bluemax.htm
BlueMax 2 Cycle Aviation Engine Oil

ISO Rated EG-D+
Less smoke
Cooler temperatures
Cleaner crankcase
No sticking rings
No fouled plugs
Increased power
Ratios to 100:1
Fuel stores longer
Less pollutants
Less oily mess from the exhaust system
Engine life increased
100% mineral based, none of the unfavorable attributes of synthetic oil, no solvents added as in 50:1 oils
Less carbon build up than 50:1 oils

^ Ignore the "100:1" claim. I'm using this at 24:1 right now. This stuff has amazing throttle response at that ratio (using VP C9 gas). No spooge dripping out of mufflers, only the outside edge of muffler exhaust is slightly wet with oil. Extremely low smoke at that ratio, hard to see it at all even in sunlight. Has very low, unobjectionable odor burning. By comparison another exceptional pure dino oil I have is Pennzoil Air Cooled, and Blue Max generate far less odor, whether it protects the same, worse, or better I have no idea. Blue Max is not pre-diluted like almost all oils so in that regard 24:1 could be more like 20, or 18:1 in reality. Also the solvent package in most oils obviously are not lubricants.

I don't like that they make a 100:1 claim like Amsoil does with Saber, but I just ignore that and do things the way that hundreds of others have testified to for engine longevity and power.
I didnt know there was a specific oil for aviation 2-strokes. Not sure what you would gain by running an aviation oil in a chainsaw. The next new shiny thing to try? It says it is ISO Rated EG-D+, and from what I read that is the same as JASO FD. But why?

I didnt know there was a specific oil for aviation 2-strokes. Not sure what you would gain by running an aviation oil in a chainsaw. The next new shiny thing to try? It says it is ISO Rated EG-D+, and from what I read that is the same as JASO FD. But why?
Jaso is a Japanese thing, iso is a euro thing. Iso egd supposedly is the same specs as jaso fd rating.

Because said testing is neither valid or scientific.
Have you heard the saying that there is more than one way to skin a cat? There are many organizations that have developed testing methods. Someone had to devise them, and they may evolve over time. And different organizations have different tests. JASO and ASME and SAE, for example, all have different tests and standards. But those tests are not the only ones that are scientific or valid. I claim, as an engineer and scientist, that what Todd does is both scientific and valid for at least 90% of what he does. And he has tested many things. Can you argue that his strength tests on socket wrenches are invalid, for example? Specific to his oil tests, his wear scar test definitively shows which oils have the greatest film strength/lubricity, even if they do not exactly replicate the conditions in an engine. Or are you really going to claim that an oil which shows a bigger wear scar than another will somehow have better lubricity in an engine? That is really unscientific!

Have you heard the saying that there is more than one way to skin a cat? There are many organizations that have developed testing methods. Someone had to devise them, and they may evolve over time. And different organizations have different tests. JASO and ASME and SAE, for example, all have different tests and standards. But those tests are not the only ones that are scientific or valid. I claim, as an engineer and scientist, that what Todd does is both scientific and valid for at least 90% of what he does. And he has tested many things. Can you argue that his strength tests on socket wrenches are invalid, for example? Specific to his oil tests, his wear scar test definitively shows which oils have the greatest film strength/lubricity, even if they do not exactly replicate the conditions in an engine. Or are you really going to claim that an oil which shows a bigger wear scar than another will somehow have better lubricity in an engine? That is really unscientific!
Socket Wrench? I'd say that makes your whole argument invalid.

You should probably sit down Hermione. This isn’t quidditch

Latest posts

Back