Chainsaw Bar Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
joe4str

joe4str

ArboristSite Lurker
Helping my neighbor clean up brush from the nor'easter this weekend and nicked my Profil fiber chaps with a slow running chain.

The chaps did the job and stopped the saw but the fibers from the chaps got the whole system gummed up. I seem to have freed the sprocket and rest of the saw but the nose sprocket in the bar is totally stuck. I have tried to pick out the fibers but am likely doing damage to the bar.

Any ideas? Or, do I just need to suck it up and buy a new bar? Makes me mad as I had only run with the new bar a couple of hours.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

:chainsaw:

logbutcher

logbutcher

Addicted to ArboristSite
New Leg, Priceless; New Bar and Chaps ?

Helping my neighbor clean up brush from the nor'easter this weekend and nicked my Profil fiber chaps with a slow running chain.
The chaps did the job and stopped the saw but the fibers from the chaps got the whole system gummed up. I seem to have freed the sprocket and rest of the saw but the nose sprocket in the bar is totally stuck. I have tried to pick out the fibers but am likely doing damage to the bar.
Any ideas? Or, do I just need to suck it up and buy a new bar? Makes me mad as I had only run with the new bar a couple of hours.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
:chainsaw:

Column I Column II
Ambulance to ER: $393.99 New 20" Bar: $66.00
ER Admission: $458.67 Chaps: $50+
Anesthesia: $689.33 GOL/CPL Training: $100+/day
Anesthesiologist :$582.99
Surgeon: $782.55
Dressings: $146.71
Stitches: $29.56/stitch
Etc....
Etc...
Days/Weeks Out of Work: Big $$$$

...and you're worried about a stinkin' bar ??:censored: :censored: :chainsaw:

SWE#Kipp

SWE#Kipp

Addicted to ArboristSite
I use my scrench and push the "screwdriver" end on the nose sprocket as hard as I can, either it will free up or get broke :)
it's only a bar :p
I have not broke a bar that way yet ,,,,,,

joe4str

joe4str

ArboristSite Lurker
Bar

Yeah, I've already tried that. It's just that the fibers are wound around the sprocket in a way that slows it considerably but I can't get it freed. I think I may try putting some heat to it to see if I can't burn the fibers out of there.

Patrick62

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Try this...

First see if the fibers can be cooked with a lighter, if so then heat might work.
Then try some various solvents to see if something "melts" the fibers. I am not real positive on that last idea, but if something (gas? Paint stripper?) actually disolves then it is easy!

Otherwise, toss it and get a new one. Consider being thankful that you had the sense to have the chaps on! Jeez Louise!

-Pat

Latest posts